Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This. This is why this game was a masterpiece. Two-player Glory to Rome is its best variant, and this one shows exactly why I love this game. I pursued a vault-heavy strategy, and bolstered by a sewer, I was quickly building a lot of buildings and cranking out vault goods (at the expense of my clientele). Nathan was focusing on buildings and clients, and eventually got the Forum Romanum out, very close to a victory.

I tried everything to end the game early: both rushing the in-town sites as well as starting a catacombs. In the end, we were tensely drawing cards -- would I draw my wood (to end the last foundation) or would Nathan draw his marble to finish the forum?

I drew a wood and tried to keep it quiet, but Nathan legionaried it away from me. I tried to start a catacomb, but Nathan drew a marble. With only two cards in my hand, I had no choice: think. He played his marble and ended it on a forum romanum victory. In our 15 plays, that's the only time the forum has ever won! By every metric, I should have crushed Nathan, but his savvy legionary play helped him to snag an improbable win -- I wasn't even mad!

We didn't even bother to count up final scores, though I had 5/6 merchant bonuses, as well as a statue, as well as the lead in buildings. Nathan tried the only strategy left to him, and it paid off.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is two player really that much fun? I've always tried to play with minimum 3. What else makes it so fun? Genuinely curious, not arguing. Hadn't considered playing with two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the OP, I actually played this game a lot with two players - maybe 30 games or so?

The game is very different - it's more about pool control, and managing the sites, much like the OP did. We switched to the other ruleset, though, so we never had a FORUM ROMANUM win.

A first-round CATACOMBS is fun, and I think we had fun with a come-from-behind FORUM win, too.

I think it's a fun game with two. It's a lot of fun with more, but we'd need players that aren't new (to keep up with the two of us that have already played a lot).

I tend to resign when I fall behind, though. It's more fun to start another game than it is to try and come back when you're too far behind. (Though that made the FORUM win a lot sweeter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
mb
Two player is certainly the best variant. If you have some of the expansion cards then consider swapping out useless buildings (Bridge) for one of your choice. We also swapped out Coliseum because we couldn't find any defence against it at all once it was completed.
Beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
millish wrote:
Two player is certainly the best variant. If you have some of the expansion cards then consider swapping out useless buildings (Bridge) for one of your choice. We also swapped out Coliseum because we couldn't find any defence against it at all once it was completed.
Beautiful game.

Like Pallisades or Wall?

I find 2 player a boring Thinkfest. The pool control is everything and dominates the early/mid game much more so than 3-4 player. Nobody leads a role without a Jack until their opponents clientele is full.

GtR is one of my all time favorite games. I've played it hundreds of times. 3-4 is the sweet spot. 2 player is dry and 5 player is too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
darthnice wrote:
millish wrote:
Beautiful game.

Like Pallisades or Wall?

I find 2 player a boring Thinkfest. The pool control is everything and dominates the early/mid game much more so than 3-4 player. Nobody leads a role without a Jack until their opponents clientele is full.

GtR is one of my all time favorite games. I've played it hundreds of times. 3-4 is the sweet spot. 2 player is dry and 5 player is too chaotic.

Depends on the playstyle, because we rarely use jacks. Must depend on who you play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
darthnice wrote:

Depends on the playstyle, because we rarely use jacks. Must depend on who you play with.

I don't remember it being that bad. I think there were also cards that mitigated this (a building with a power like "When a player plays a Jack, you get the Jack at the end of the round").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really enjoyed 2 player that much, it really seems to come down to who gets a palisade / wall first = game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy Lebeau wrote:
I've never really enjoyed 2 player that much, it really seems to come down to who gets a palisade / wall first = game over.

While I agree that I never really enjoyed 2 player, those seem like pretty weak buildings for declaring game over. Legionary already has diminished utility in 2 player, and even 3 player.

Aqueduct on the other hand is even better in 2 player since the pool is generally tightly controlled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.