Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While reading a WW2 history book, I though that it could be cool to have a game with local campaign scenario that does not consider the whole theatre but only a portion of it. Like for example, the invasion of phillipines, singapore or malaysia with their surrounding areas. Where some scenarios are played as the japanese, and others as the allies.

To realize that is is exactly what field commander napoleon does, multiple detailed local scenarios which each it's particularities. I am not sure if the 2 previous field commander game used the same format.

But if that format worked so well, why did they not do the same thing with fleet commander Nimitz? Why bother about covering the whole theater, a lot of other games already did that? Why drop what made your game different than the others?

Now, I imagine that somebody with a lot of historical background could create those small scenarios like in Napoleon with the pieces and rules of the current game. But that would be a lot of work.

Seems I'll have to wait for a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we make enough noise, maybe Dan vill give us a scenario expansion with new maps to fight on. Some rules tweaks to keep it interesting on a smaller scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
The better game is called Empire of the Sun
I ordered FC Nimitz the moment I saw it offered on the DVG website and waited a couplea two or three years for it to be printed. I did not like the game (though I enjoy FC Napoleon and F 18 Flight Leader very much) for a number of reasons, which I have posted here in other places, and later sold it for a big loss. Such is war.

If you want a superb solo game of the Pacific War, buy EOTS from GMT. The solo module is not perfect but is quite usable and GMT is working on a new Erasmus (solo) system now that at some point I believe will be a P500 with some extra components and the South Pacific scenario. Despite a convoluted rule system, this is the best Pacific War game I have ever played, a real nail biter, and has all the political and military events that I now demand since I became a dedicated CDG gamer. It's well worth the money and extremely replayable due to the fact that designer Mark Herman does NOT believe in scripted games. So there's your best bet, despite the fact that FC Nimitz has some of the most beautiful counters I have ever seen. Have at it. EOTS along with For The People are two of the best games I have ever played over my 500+ game collection fifty year hobby career.

I also thought Tiger Leader was a serious dog and am waiting now over a year and a half for the rules and counters package I've been promised. However, I bought B17 Flight Leader and as I work through the rules it really looks terrific, and I'm going to swallow my pride and buy Sherman Leader in the hopes they've fixed it. With B17, my faith in DVG has been restored, especially if they come out with a full campaign game scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelNeubauer wrote:
buy EOTS from GMT. The solo module is not perfect but is quite usable

Blech! gulp

The "solo system" was unfathomable. This has the distinction of being the only new game I have ever thrown right into the trash. I wanted it out of my house as quickly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know Empire of the sun was playable solo, but the game seems pretty heavy. What I seemed to like about napoleon is the subdivision of the whole campaign into smaller game that allows to put the players in the detail of the war with close up battles which is normally only possible in video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I did not know Empire of the sun was playable solo, but the game seems pretty heavy.

It's a very thinky game, much like chess. That's something I really liked about it. Planning out your moves was a very zen-like experience. Unfortunately the solo system was released in a very rough alpha/beta state that is not really all that usable unless you have a lot of patience and can massage it into something that works for you on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelNeubauer wrote:
I ordered FC Nimitz the moment I saw it offered on the DVG website and waited a couplea two or three years for it to be printed. I did not like the game (though I enjoy FC Napoleon and F 18 Flight Leader very much) for a number of reasons, which I have posted here in other places, and later sold it for a big loss. Such is war.

I can appreciate your view on this - I really enjoy FC:N but I can fully understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's appeal is pretty narrow. Probably more things that this game "isn't" than "is", if you catch my meaning.

MichaelNeubauer wrote:

I also thought Tiger Leader was a serious dog and am waiting now over a year and a half for the rules and counters package I've been promised. However, I bought B17 Flight Leader and as I work through the rules it really looks terrific, and I'm going to swallow my pride and buy Sherman Leader in the hopes they've fixed it. With B17, my faith in DVG has been restored, especially if they come out with a full campaign game scenario.

I'm less confident in Sherman Leader... The most recent string of releases and reprints appear to have had a series of quality issues, especially around cards (mis-prints, missing, duplicates). Kind of feels like they recently switched printers and were forced to convert their proofs into a new file format - just pure speculation on my part. Between that and the feeling that they are still designing titles during its Kickstarter (War of Worlds, Valkyrie(?), less so IAFL) makes me a bit wary about how solid Sherman Leader will be on Day 1.

About B-17 Flight Leader... I'd advance the theory that a lot of the credit for the fun and interesting design of B-17 Flight Leader is due to designer Dean Brown. I'm basing this on the fact that it was Dean responding same-day to questions and rewriting the rule book in the first weeks rather than the DVG team. Although DVG has just recently appeared over on IAFL's forums, by and large DVG doesn't maintain a BGG presence. I'm on record elsewhere stating my hope they engage on BGG in support of their titles, rather than leaving their designer partners to bear the support burden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
MichaelNeubauer wrote:
buy EOTS from GMT. The solo module is not perfect but is quite usable

Blech! :gulp:

The "solo system" was unfathomable. This has the distinction of being the only new game I have ever thrown right into the trash. I wanted it out of my house as quickly as possible.

That was certainly a bit extreme, what with the resell value so high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when you're mad you do crazy things. EoTs' solo system is really the only game I've ever owned/played that made me very, very angry - from the half-baked rules, to the nonsensical charts, to the designer who refused to give clear/concise answers to questions, to the gurus of the game who gave the thing a green-light without ever once trying to actually play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific war game that covers the whole theater seems very problematic to do. The only implementations I liked is the PTO 1 and 2 video game. But I have never seen anything similar as a board game.

I thought that since napoleon split game into various sub scenario, it could have worked here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been interesting, but you would still need a decent campaign to tie them all together, which Napoleon/Rommel didn't really have either.
They probably needed to keep the counter count down too. Napoleon had custom counters for each small battle - that would have been a nightmare here.

Anyways, people's main problem was with the combat resolution and the ahistorical use of subs/destroyers. That would still have been an issue, whether you use a small map or a big map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem is that there is multiple games in one and many exceptions which makes it very complex to do a pacific game. For example, the battle between islands feels like a space conquest game where each Island is a planet. But if you use a space game engine, you get screwed when bases are in airplane ranges or when more land is available in asia.

Since most war games consist in adapting a system to a theme, there is no system universal enough to accomodate the pacific theme. So you would almost need a different game for each campaign theater.

------------------------------------------------------------------

One idea I got could be to make a non historical scenario system. The japanese own the entire pacific, and you must build your way scenario by scenario up to japan. You could start at hawaii and or colombo and each completed scenario unlocks new scenario.

Between scenario you build up your forces which changes the units you can bring into the next scenario. If you wait more time to build up more, the japanese would reinforce even more it's position.

EDIT: It could even be a good way to teach progressively the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.