13 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Jabba's Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Is the campaign too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Bornich
msg tools
mb
I see some threads on FFG forums suggesting that Jabba's Realm is by far the easiest campaign for the rebels. To the point where it is not really much of a challenge for them to win. I also see comments about how it is a very fun expansion and quality product, but poorly balanced to the point where many campaign missions are almost guaranteed wins for rebels or imperials.

I haven't played it myself, and I understand that there is a lot of bias here according to playstyle, skill of the Imperial Player (and whether they see themselves as a GM and play sub-optimally to give rebels victories), skill of the rebel players (and heroes chosen) and not least luck.

However, if it turns out that it is a bit on the easy side I'd rather know about it in advance so I can make adjustments to the overall campaign or individual missions.

Please share your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Roos
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My friend loves this game. He has played through probably 30 campaigns between the base game and the expansions. He almost never loses. If he is the Rebel player, he wins. If he is the Imperial player on the same mission, he wins.

I decided to run Jabba's Realm for our group. The Rebels have won every mission, however 2-3 of them came within an action of them losing. Perhaps a more experienced Imperial player could have won, but I was giving my friend (and a couple other guys) a run for their money. That was before the Interlude.

The Interlude and the first story mission after it, the Rebels have essentially wiped the entire board of Imperial figures every single round. Every round I'm out of figures and only have 4-5 threat to put something down. It's awful and demoralizing.

Vinto pumps out damage at ridiculous rates. Onar is constantly repositioning figures and does decent damage himself. Shyla is impossible to slow down, and then Hand Cannon's someone in the face twice. And Gideon just picks the best one and let's them attack two more times for one of his actions.

I typically don't get to use 60-80% of my activations as the Imperial player.

Having said all of that, I think some of the missions are very slanted towards Rebels. Without spoiling anything, some of the mission rules straight up hinder the Imperial player and boost the rebel player. It is an interesting design, but I don't think they did enough to counterbalance it. One example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The last story mission literally cut off all threat gain and Imperial deployment. It tried to counter this by giving the Imperial player 10 threat and an optional deployment, but everything came in exhausted. My Rebel players had 3+ rounds, essentially, to clear Terro and 15 (4 threat was a Jet trooper deployment that had already activated that round and wasn't near the fray) threat worth of figures, none of which could act for the round they came out.

Stuff like that makes me wonder how the Imperial player wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
I'm getting wrecked as the Rebels so far, and the win rate polls aren't exactly positive for the Rebels so far either other than mission 1 - although the sample size is tiny so on most of them. The terrain has seemed pretty unfavorable on the story missions I've played, and the time limits fairly short. And Hutt Mercenaries means even a half or 1/3rd strength activation can do 8+ damage easily. And I won both of our previous campaigns so far.

Vinto not being able to use his abilities to hurt objects has actually been a big problem too.

If it becomes easy after the interlude, it'll only make up for the beating I've taken so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the whole campaign - only the missions we've actually played so far. But, the first half feels fairly Imperial biased. I'm playing Nemeses with Greedo and the Grand Inquisitor. My players are as a group pretty good at the game, so I don't think there's much of a skill gap between me and them. Here be spoilers...

The first mission feels quite rebel favoured, although I think it depends a lot on who the characters are. I couldn't block the terminal at the end, because at least two of the Rebel's could move figures around, so they just moved my guys out of the way and interacted to win. Without the rebel movement powers, I might have been able to wound them all before they fought through to the terminal, but then of course any other character they had instead of their picks would have had other powers to help them win. So all in all a fairly solid rebel win.

However, the next two story missions were Imperial landslides.

They picked Hostile Negotiations, in which spice crates have to be moved onto Imperial and Rebel spots. On the balance poll that one seems to have been won by more Imperials than rebels, but not by much. Still, it really seems hard for the Imperial to lose. The key here is that the Imperials win if they have more crates than the rebels, OR EQUAL. So all you have to do to win is make sure you field a bunch of guys on the last round and steal all their crates. It becomes even easier if you manage to get some crates for yourself early on.

Then they picked Turf War. You have to destroy supports. They took quite a bit of fire to start with, since I brought in the Grand Inquisitor, and three of them took damage when the first support exploded. Then of course the additional guy turns up (YOU know who I mean - not mentioning it here in case any rebels are reading despite spoilers), and they just got overwhelmed with 2 supports to go. I think the fact that the supports get an automatic 2 defence made it very hard for them to rush the mission. It was tense, but I don't think it really felt close. Even without the Grand Inquisitor, they would have ended up wounded.

At any rate, I'll get back to you when I've finished the campaign. The next mission sounds rebel favoured based on what people on here are saying, though I haven't looked myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Mescam
France
flag msg tools
We played 10 out of 11 scenarios so far. I play Empire, Nemeses deck.

First was victory shared (we had a rule issue about adjacency to terminals, so we decide to split victory, since if the rule turned in my favor, I would have won, and Rebels would have won in the other case

They loose every single other scenario since then, except for one which they painstakingly won (Garkhann was the only healthy hero left, wih only 3 life points at the end of the final round, and I forgot to use most of my influence/xp cards, otherwise I would have won)

Sometimes it was a close call, some times there was no match.

One of the rebles thinks it is a harsh campaign. I guess that since it is the third big campaign, it could be for more experimented players...

Final scenario this week-end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, in case this was your issue: impassable terrain does nothing to adjacency, counting spaces, or line of sight, it only prevents figures from moving through (unless mobile or massive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now finished the whole campaign, and the final missions count was rebels won 3 missions, Imperial won all the rest. Of the 3 the rebels won, one of them was the first mission, and one of them was a non-Jabba side mission. The last one they won was the penultimate story mission.

My initial thoughts are that, compared to previous campaigns, the Jabbas missions are more interesting, and reward thoughtful play. Having said that, they also have the same thing that all missions have, where the rebels open a door and suddenly OhMyGodThere'sAThingAndAnotherThingAndWe'reSurroundedNowARRRRGH! So it's very difficult to judge how easy the missions are. Early rebel decisions affect their chances of success in ways that aren't obvious at the time. But, I very much think Jabba's is not too easy. Actually, one of the reasons for this is that there are quite a few missions where the Imperial player's goal is NOT to wound the hereos. I wont go into spoilers here, but that means that you actually have more freedom in the decisions you make. There are missions in Jabba's Realm where the right thing to do is not to field any troops for 3 turns in a row, becuase if you have lots of bodies on the board on the last turn, you'll win. Personally I thought there was a nice range of interesting missions, and you can really tell the difference when a side mission from the older sets comes up.

But...

I think more than some of the previous campaigns, the Imperial Class can really change things. I played Nemeses, and personally I think that it is very very good, and particularly it's very good on missions where there is no "wound the rebels" victory condition. On those missions, Hutt Mercenaries might help you wound the rebels fast, and that DOES matter, but it doesn't give you much flexibility. At least for a campaign of Jabba's Realm, Nemeses is a good class choice. And that goes for any class that give you powers centered around either getting more health and more figures for your threat, or classes that let you move around more. These powers particularly help you in non-wounding missions. Or even if the rebels are too hard to wound, which is more likely now given that rebels get to see fully half of the item decks each rebel upgrade phase.

We'll know more over time as more people play it and more people fill in the "who won" survey, which you should totally do. The survey can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1713004/poll-how-balanced-e...

Also, if you are interested in more thoughts on the nemeses class, I wrote a guide you can read here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784746/nemeses-imperial-cl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
symiant wrote:
But, I very much think Jabba's is not too easy. Actually, one of the reasons for this is that there are quite a few missions where the Imperial player's goal is NOT to wound the hereos. I wont go into spoilers here, but that means that you actually have more freedom in the decisions you make. There are missions in Jabba's Realm where the right thing to do is not to field any troops for 3 turns in a row, becuase if you have lots of bodies on the board on the last turn, you'll win.

I've recently bought this expansion and, after a quick perusal of the rulebook, I don't seem to see any missions where the Imperial side's goal is not to wound heroes.

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
I don't seem to see any missions where the Imperial side's goal is not to wound heroes.

What am I missing?

Even when the wounding of all heroes is one imperial objective, the imperial player may also win by other methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
symiant wrote:
But, I very much think Jabba's is not too easy. Actually, one of the reasons for this is that there are quite a few missions where the Imperial player's goal is NOT to wound the hereos. I wont go into spoilers here, but that means that you actually have more freedom in the decisions you make. There are missions in Jabba's Realm where the right thing to do is not to field any troops for 3 turns in a row, becuase if you have lots of bodies on the board on the last turn, you'll win.

I've recently bought this expansion and, after a quick perusal of the rulebook, I don't seem to see any missions where the Imperial side's goal is not to wound heroes.

What am I missing?

Only 1.5 (or technically 2.5) missions don't have the wound to win condition:
Specifically:
Hostile Negotiation has no wound win condition.
One part of Moment of Fate has no wound win condition.
From All Sides has a slightly different win condition but it's essentially a wound win condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
harzal wrote:
I don't seem to see any missions where the Imperial side's goal is not to wound heroes.

What am I missing?

Even when the wounding of all heroes is one imperial objective, the imperial player may also win by other methods.

Sure. But that's already been the case in quite a few missions of the other boxes.

I was asking specifically regarding Symiant's comment about the Imperials having to avoid to wound rebel heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:

Only 1.5 (or technically 2.5) missions don't have the wound to win condition:
Specifically:
Hostile Negotiation has no wound win condition.
One part of Moment of Fate has no wound win condition.
From All Sides has a slightly different win condition but it's essentially a wound win condition.

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! Sorry - this must have slipped by my subscription report.

To add a little to my original comment, the list that has already been posted about some of the missions that don't have wound the heroes as an objective sounds accurate - it's been a while since I looked. I think in my campaign I may have thought there were more "no wound" win conditions than there actually are, because we also had a fair few side missions come up that had them too.

But I also thought that the mission design from a rebel perspective was interesting, and that this opens up more options for how you can play as an Imperial. As a campaign overall, it felt interesting, with the missions requiring a wide variety of different strategies (as Imperial) to win. Perhaps the more accurate comment would have been that the mission design is such that sometimes the right thing to do is not field any troops for a few turns. It's often about figuring out when the right point to apply the pressure is. Sometimes that's late on or when they've just triggered an event, sometimes you want to do that earlier on, or just have a constant stream of troops to slow them down. It's probably that this is the case with all IA campaigns, but it just seemed to me like there were more viable ways to play than in some of the other campaigns.

The OP seemed to suggest that the campaign was the easiest rebel campaign, but so far the poll suggests that actually it's imperial favoured - Imperials have the highest number of favoured win rates, and BOTH the two end missions seem to be imperial favoured. Our final mission was Storming the Palace, and I certainly felt like the rebels were quite far away from successfully completing that when they all become wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.