8 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Keeping track of the infection deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ruegg
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If I'm not mistaken, the infection discard pile is public knowledge, meaning I can freely look through it at anytime. That means logically I could write down the cities and then when we shuffle it back during intensify use my list to mark off which cities have been redrawn so we can get an idea of what to expect. This is ok to do right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's okay. But it's easier to look at the board and see which cities are infected already. Those are the ones that will come up. Only exceptions are cities that were infected via outbreaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ruegg
New Zealand
flag msg tools
We up to August in Legacy. So addicted. We doing our best to work out how to beat it and this is working for us but the game can bite back with a vengance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
I think it's okay. But it's easier to look at the board and see which cities are infected already. Those are the ones that will come up. Only exceptions are cities that were infected via outbreaks.

True, but depending on the situation you may have cities that have cubes but will be buried pretty deep. This means you may prioritize what LOOKS like a serious problem when you should have seen that city B will go off before you can get there. I've had games where one of the first 12 or so cities infected gets buried due to epidemics coming close together; That city may look bad but I know from the deck that there are probably 4-6 cities that are an urgent problem.

As to taking notes, I don't see any problem with it. To some extent, I do it mentally so I don't see a problem with putting thought to paper. Only problem I could envision would be a tournament situation, might not be allowed then. Do they have any rules against it in that setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actionmahon wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the infection discard pile is public knowledge, meaning I can freely look through it at anytime. That means logically I could write down the cities and then when we shuffle it back during intensify use my list to mark off which cities have been redrawn so we can get an idea of what to expect. This is ok to do right?
Yes.

Rulebook, p. 7, Player Cards wrote:
Players may freely examine either discard pile at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
A visual strategy my group implements is to pyramid-stack the 3-cube cities remaining in the infection deck. This way you know what cities are an immediate threat of outbreaking and which can wait until an epidemic is drawn. When an epidemic card is drawn, all 3-cube cities are stacked because they've been shuffled back into the infection deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
A visual strategy my group implements is to pyramid-stack the 3-cube cities remaining in the infection deck. This way you know what cities are an immediate threat of outbreaking and which can wait until an epidemic is drawn. When an epidemic card is drawn, all 3-cube cities are stacked because they've been shuffled back into the infection deck.

This is a quick visual reference, but you are allowed to look through the Discard pile at any time. It's not a memory game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:

This is a quick visual reference, but you are allowed to look through the Discard pile at any time. It's not a memory game.

yah, is anyone arguing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.