Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving to Doors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Robertson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Once I clear a room of monsters, my party is left standing in the room. So, now the party needs to open a door that leads into an adjacent hallway or room.

As I understand the rules, each player would then take a turn choosing 2 ability cards; ignoring any attack action on those 2 cards since there are no enemies within the current room/hallway.

The players would then use initiative to decide who goes through the door first. The player with the lowest initiative would then use a move action from one of their 2 ability cards to move to and/or through the door. All other players would follow behind this player in ascending order via initiative, each using their respective move action from one of their 2 ability cards they have chosen.

So, if this is true, you would have to waste 2 cards just to move through a door. This doesn't feel right.

I'm already down to 5 cards on my character.

So, I'm going to go into the last room with 3 cards?! cry

I suppose I could use a short rest at the end of my "turn" after going through the door, in order to get back one of my cards, but that just seems off.

I may be overthinking this, or, I may be coming to terms with just how brutal this game can be.

Am I missing a rule somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

I love your game, Isaac and crew! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your mostly right. It seems to be a good idea to open up (and trigger) the next room when your mostly done with the room your in.

However, if you pick your cards right, you can move into that new room, and then use any attack actions you have on the monsters that spawn when you open the room up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take a long rest before going for that door, also. That way, you'll have all your cards but one, and will heal up 2 points.

Then, bum-rush the enemy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Robertson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I hadn't considered that, Montgomery Box.

Therefore, I don't need to necessarily ignore the attack action on the other ability card, I can simply use that attack action, albeit blind, on the next enemy in the room I enter. However, I run into the possibility I will not be in range to attack once I enter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Robertson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice, Dundy O.

I forgot about the Long Rest option. I need to learn to use Long Rest to my advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martin
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
You do run out of cards quickly in this game! You'll find soon enough that you can't go through the dungeon slowly which creates a sweet tension in accomplishing goals in each room, but still being able to complete the overall dungeon. We find that we're usually trying to move towards the door with one or more monsters still alive that will follow us and we can kill as we're moving. Has that plan backfired as we open the door and find a plethora of new monsters? Absolutely!! Do we wish we could have stuck around to mop up all the gold? Probably! It's all worth it though for the great gaming moments it's created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're also assuming that all cards have attack actions up top and move actions at the bottom. There is usually 1 card in each ability deck that has a move up top and an attack at the bottom. These are really important cards which will allow you to do a double move or double attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.