Hide
23 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions/Debate Future Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amor Bavian
msg tools
Enjoying Dreamlands at the moment as I see it as the best so far but thought it could be nice with a thread to talk about possible future big (or small) box expansions.

Any confirmation from FFG on what the future holds? I can't see them NOT make a few more boxes at least.

My biggest wish right now is a big box Arkham expansion, unfolding the streets and houses of Arkham on a sideboard - wouldn't that be awesome?

Second on my list is a side board taking us underground to some crypts - like in the Lovecraft story about the lost city.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amorbavian wrote:
My biggest wish right now is a big box Arkham expansion, unfolding the streets and houses of Arkham on a sideboard - wouldn't that be awesome?
I think it would.

amorbavian wrote:
Second on my list is a side board taking us underground to some crypts - like in the Lovecraft story about the lost city.
This idea sounds interesting but I still dislike sideboards in general. I would rather see it as a Mystic Ruins style addon that introduces a deck of underground encounters for various locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
I want an Expansion with the City of the great Race
Could be a great extra game board.

Also i want Ghatanothoa and Nyarlahotep as Great Old ones.

still much potential

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like something along the lines of Lovecraft Country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might as well repeat here what I've agreed with elsewhere - a simple Print On Demand series, each with a single Ancient One (maybe more cards than usual) and nothing else. Starting with Nyarlothotep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Might as well repeat here what I've agreed with elsewhere - a simple Print On Demand series, each with a single Ancient One (maybe more cards than usual) and nothing else. Starting with Nyarlothotep.

I don't like PoD's, they seriously lack quality (the cards). Don't forget that the AO needs a big sized card. It's really uneconomical to use a big plastic card packaging just because of one card. It's a business, and they won't make a decision where the profit isn't that good.
Nevertheless I would buy all AO Packs, PoD or not.
It would be a better idea to release small box expansions with 2 AO, without new location encounter card. So there is place there for 2 packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's totally possible to POD an ancient one. If they can't do a big ancient one sheet, they can do multiple smaller cards (a setup card, a cultist reference card, and a few cards with the ancient one's abilities). It's not ideal, but if the alternative is no new material at all, I'm happy to take some POD stuff (since they don't need a huge print run to be profitable)

Card quality is also a little disappointing, but the ancient one specific cards never mix with anything else, so it's not the end of the world. If they started doing POD with assets, location encounters, etc, then it would be a mess as they wouldn't fit in with the other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal stories would be cool if done properly, or some kind of official campaign play where our investigators carry over from one game to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Personal stories would be cool if done properly, or some kind of official campaign play where our investigators carry over from one game to the next.

Yes to personal stories, but a campaign of multiple EH games feels a little awkward, give the huge scope of a single session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perignon wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

I don't like PoD's, they seriously lack quality (the cards). Don't forget that the AO needs a big sized card. It's really uneconomical to use a big plastic card packaging just because of one card. It's a business, and they won't make a decision where the profit isn't that good.
It would be a better idea to release small box expansions with 2 AO, without new location encounter card. So there is place there for 2 packs.

you are probably right although The Nether Realm PoD for Talisman was sold with 3 big cards and 36 smalls so there is precedent for it. Personally I would like to see a PoD full of adventure cards. There is more that can be done with those I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this in another thread this morning.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/17/cities-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perignon wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

FFG have definitely done POD expansions with big cards in them before (for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Talisman (as mentioned), probably others). The larger clamshell seemed to work fine for those.

That being said, I imagine we're hitting the limit for investigators. They just came out with that fancy hardcover book that has them all listed, so I imagine once we exhaust those there won't be any more. Not that I think we need any more... there's so many already. I don't know how many are left (keeping in mind the newest announced expansion adds 4), but we must be getting close.

New AOs would be great, or more mysteries for the existing AOs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kobin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
amorbavian wrote:

I'd want spaces to be local sites/buildings/etc rather than different locations. I wonder if a board for a giant mansion with rooms would fit in with game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I think that would be seriously weird and dissonant. On the world map, it seems pretty clear that turns probably take weeks. YOu're travelling by train across all of Eurasia. That doesn't mesh at all with single rooms, or even houses as locations. It would mean that one investigator is taking the same time to walk down a street as another takes to ship across the Pacific.

Keep the different scales as different games. Mansions of Madness for rooms in a house, Arkham for Streets and buildings, Eldritch for entire cities and the whole world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal O Suilleabhain
Australia
Bellingen
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how many core sets will it need?

Oh shit wait a minute.....wrong game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why the arkham sideboard should have spaces for innsmouth, kingsport, and dunwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kobin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
viresium wrote:
That's why the arkham sideboard should have spaces for innsmouth, kingsport, and dunwich.

They've made Egypt and Antarctica their own board so this seems the most plausible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Whitar
msg tools
So actually if FFG releases the Arkham/Innsmouth/Dunwitch/Kingsport board, they'd have to supply a reasonable amount of location encounter cards, at least 20 per location, considering how much the decks have grown with all previous expansions. A zoom in map has happened twice before, so why not

But, I'd prefer them to walk the path of scenario packs, as in AH card game. It is developing fast, and many scenarios are very interesting. I just dislike 100% card based deck building games and won't buy it.
Think you may not need an extra board to play the Dunwitch Horror or whatever it may be, a small box can contain all cards and AOs/Investigators.

I've read all of Lovecraft, most of Derleth, and little of other authors who explored the Mythos, are there any interesting places beyond New England that are relevant? What else realy can be introduced to the game that does not render the world map redundant? I meen if you get the Innsmouth board, why would you go to other places?

In my opinion the last AO should be canonic Nyarlathotep and that's it. Other lesser gods can apear as rumor/epic monsters as we've seen before, or scenario boxes that I'd gladly buy. They could add events like flying polyp invasion, preventing the Yithians from stealing minds, stop satanic cults allover the globe (think Red Hook sect or Deep One worshipers of Dagon) stop some mad scientist/necromancer etc..

I can even emagine a new condiotion, that basically turns a lead investigator to a 'werewolf' (of course you loose him as player) if you fail a reckoning test/will check, so he becomes a villain on board with 4-5 eldritch tokens and acts as a rumor. You need to fight him or the doom advances/he does even more wicked stuff to you As he's seen/discovered so much and was convinced to serve the evils ways. Wouldn't that be cool instead of just being devoured/gone mad?

This game can never be complete, because it is a narrative slave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humaniac wrote:
But, I'd prefer them to walk the path of scenario packs, as in AH card game. It is developing fast, and many scenarios are very interesting. I just dislike 100% card based deck building games and won't buy it.

Slightly off topic - AHLCG is card based, but it really is an exploration and investigation board game, spreading cards out on the table to form the board (which allows for a much greater variety of locations, and is much easier to set up than something like Mansions of Madness). The deck building is there, but pretty minimal - I've found no need to buy multiple packs of anything (although you do need an extra core set if you want to play in a group of three or four) or to collect everything just to play the game.

And I'm pretty sure my Eldritch Horror collection contains more cards than my AHLCG collection...

Of course, if the game doesn't appeal to you, don't play it. It's not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Whitar
msg tools
I may try it someday, why not. I enjoy my Elder Sign with the Gates of Arkham, it's prety much same concept as AHLCG - go somewhere, throw dice, get smashed on the head with bad roll, repeat

I was just put away by some reviews that you'd have to buy several core boxes to play with at least two players expecting to win, and also the fact that it is closed ended- if you play the scenario through it's done, you've seen the whole plot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humaniac wrote:
I may try it someday, why not. I enjoy my Elder Sign with the Gates of Arkham, it's prety much same concept as AHLCG - go somewhere, throw dice, get smashed on the head with bad roll, repeat

I was just put away by some reviews that you'd have to buy several core boxes to play with at least two players expecting to win, and also the fact that it is closed ended- if you play the scenario through it's done, you've seen the whole plot.

Fair points, but a bit misleading - you can play with two Investigators with one Core Set and absolutely win - you should play on Easy, but Easy is not an inferior version of the game, the way it is with other games - in Eldritch Horror, for example, one "Easy" variant has you taking the Tentacle Mythos Cards out, which makes the game smaller and more repetitive. In Arkham Horror the Living Card Game, all you remove is a couple numbers from the Chaos Bag - every card, every possibility, and all the text is still there.

There is a plot that repeats, and Eldritch Horror is better in having multiple Mysteries per Ancient One and multiple Ancient Ones from the beginning. Still, you can play against Cthulhu multiple times in EH even after you've seen all the Mysteries - using different Investigators and trying different strategies. That applies to AHLCG, and even more so as there is a much bigger difference between Investigators - Roland the Fed has guns and deductive skills, while Agnes the Waitress has luck and spells, and unlike the other Arkham Horror games, those are not just starting situations but change the whole game - even on Scenario Seven after gaining Experience and picking up new equipment and allies, Agnes will never pick up a shotgun and start blowing Cultists away, and Roland will never cast a spell.

It's not as self contained and replayable as (Eldritch Horror + Forsaken Lore), but if you already have at least that much EH, I'd say picking up the core of AHLCG with the option to get an expansion or two will give you a much better Arkham Horror feel than Elder Sign (a very well made and beautiful game for what it does) and might be a better investment than buying the two or three EH/ES expansions you could get for the same money.

Oh, and AHLCG is very different from ES - it's not a game of rolling dice and getting smashed on the head, unless EH and original AH are also games of rolling dice and getting smashed on the head (which they kind of are). It's Ameritrash, sure, but it's not Cthulhu Yahtzee (again, nothing against ES, a fun and very fast game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dean
msg tools
Considering the importance of the Northeast and Arkham in particular, I believe a big box Arkham expansion with Nyralathotep is a strong possibility in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Whitar
msg tools
Eldritch Horror + Forsaken Lore that's what I own, yep. Still have to play Yig, so far we beat every AO without removing cards.

I like the fact that you can role play the characters' abilities for full effect. But sometimes you just need that kerosene Somehow I avoided spells or forgot to use them, perhabs that's just bad management..

Elder Sign Gates of Arkham is not easy as some may think If you waste the items and clues - you're dead on next corner, very difficult to fight with unluck no matter what strategy you choose. Find it crazy that you must discard items after using the bonus dice they provide. The game gets desperate when you're stuck on hard adventures no one can get through because you just don't have enough/blocked dice..

Anyway, back to expansion theme - I'm interested in Cities In Ruin, seems like a good theme to add. So what else could be brought to table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.