8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Verena: Multiple Close Quarters at the same time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Medeiros
msg tools
designer
Like the title suggests, can Verena use Close Quarters on two targets at the same time? Let's say two Storm Troopers adjacent to her died as a result of a Blast effect.

I can see it with Cleave, as the cleave damage is applied after the original mini is defeated, but Blast seems exceptional.

Anyhow, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems that would violate the rule of only using an ability once per timing instance. So I would think no, but I'm sure Pasi or Clipper could say for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
From some other discussions I expect that the damage from Blast are all applied at the same time. If more than one figure is defeated or object is destroyed from that, the attacker decides the order of them to resolve.

The trigger for Close Quarters is "when an adjacent hostile figure is defeated". Each defeat is a separate timing instance, so as long as Verena can pay the strain cost, she can activate CQ for each.

Her ability interrupts and the resolving of defeats/destroy continues from where it left off.

The fact that defeats are simultaneous in 'real time' does not matter, only that the trigger condition happens several times.

(Once per timing instance is a shorthand for once per the opportunity of activating the ability. Simplified timing instance = trigger.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Medeiros
msg tools
designer
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree fully with Pasi's reasoning here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven LaGorce
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Let's complicate the situation and see if I have this right. Fenn blasts and defeats two figures adjacent to Verena. Upon the first defeat, trigger close quarters and momentum to move one space adjacent to a third figure and attack it.

Defeat the third figure. Trigger close quarters and momentum to shoot, but not defeat a fourth figure and move adjacent to the second blast victim.

Second blast victim is now defeated. Verena close quarters again and kills the fourth figure.

Q1-The Imperial player gets to choose the order of the blast defeats. Once Verena interrupts, the third figure will be defeated before the second?

Q2-What if Fenn attacks, defeats a figure and defeats another figure with blast. Which figure is defeated first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gorski1234 wrote:
Let's complicate the situation and see if I have this right. Fenn blasts and defeats two figures adjacent to Verena. Upon the first defeat, trigger close quarters and momentum to move one space adjacent to a third figure and attack it.

Defeat the third figure. Trigger close quarters and momentum to shoot, but not defeat a fourth figure and move adjacent to the second blast victim.

Second blast victim is now defeated. Verena close quarters again and kills the fourth figure.

Q1-The Imperial player gets to choose the order of the blast defeats. Once Verena interrupts, the third figure will be defeated before the second?

Q2-What if Fenn attacks, defeats a figure and defeats another figure with blast. Which figure is defeated first?

Q1) sounds right...

Q2) The target of the attack is defeated first. Blast happens after the attack is resolved and the target is defeated in the last step of that attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
gorski1234 wrote:

Easy. The target is defeated during step 7 of the attack. Blast is performed after the attack resolves.

Ability Resolution order during attacks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.