Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Differences from 1st edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rahdo's Runthrough did a fantastic job of clarifying the differences.

Actually, I think he just did a "Talk Through"

If I'm not mistaken even Tom Vasel's review also listed the major differences.

I am not aware of a formal list though. If it does exist, I'm fairly confident someone has submitted it on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are bunches....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satheesh Jeyaraman
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can the second edition be used to play the first edition rules ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some component differences. The map board is a bit different and I don't think there were Invader Marauders in 1st edition.

There was the Book of Glory and Glory points set of rules and components that would need to be proxied. Also, I think the Spells, and costs for Defender actions are different too (e.g. cost of 4 hourglasses to build a Cannon in 1st edition vs 3 in 2nd).

I also recall a significant difference in resolving Assaults, partial hits would destroy more powerful units in 1st edition (e.g. a 1 point advantage would kill a Soldier in 1st edition but not in 2nd edition).

Fields of fire for Marksmen in Towers are limited to the single rampart opposite them, unlike the much wider field of fire in 1st edition.

There are numerous other differences that I'm sure would arise if someone sat down and analyzed both editions in terms of mechanics and game components.

So, while it is possible to play a 2nd edition copy with 1st edition rules, it is probably not advisable. But you can maybe selectively pick and choose rules that you prefer, but this would impact game balance. This may be a way to help balance the game between players (e.g. using 1st edition Marksmen rule for field of fire from Towers to give the Defender a bit of an advantage in 2nd edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.