1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: SO...is itgood or....? :P rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
So everyone was crazy about this game. So after weak or so, is it good and worth buying?

Thanks sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it since I got my copy at Essen last year.
And yes. It's my #2 game of all time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing for about two weeks now and I have tried to write a review for it the past few days. But whenever I get the chance to sit down and write, I end up thinking that time is better spent playing.

I didn't love it at first. There are a lot of rules to learn and a lot of components to manage... that much room for error combined with a REALLY difficult first scenario is bound to lead to some frustration. But now that I've got everything down, it's the one game I can't wait to get home and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of positive comments so far, but it's still pretty early for how sprawling the campaign is. I believe a lot of people like the mechanics and the combat, but some complaints about leveling speed and difficulty.

It'll be hard to say how well the game will hold up after a year, but so far people seem to be enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Olanzuan wrote:
So everyone was crazy about this game. So after weak or so, is it good and worth buying?

Thanks sauron

I received it at noon on January 30th. As of last night I have logged 43 plays.

It is the best dungeon crawler I've ever played. Mage Knight is my #1 solo game, and this is directly behind it in line.

It's not going to be for everyone. It requires about the same level of mental effort as a game of Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

And what is #1, if I may ask ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
Lots of positive comments so far, but it's still pretty early for how sprawling the campaign is. I believe a lot of people like the mechanics and the combat, but some complaints about leveling speed and difficulty.

Complaints about leveling speed make no sense. Do people just want to be max level before they're halfway through the campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

My money is on Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lstr wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

My money is on Mage Knight.

I'm going to guess "Through the Ages"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
GamerChicken wrote:

Complaints about leveling speed make no sense. Do people just want to be max level before they're halfway through the campaign?

Keep in mind that an individual character likely won't last for the whole length of the campaign. You'll likely retire and start a new character at least twice. Some people are wanting to hit max level prior to that retirement, but I don't think it is really designed to work that way. You have to choose between maxing a character out, and retiring to try out different characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

I won't presume to answer for Paul, but if it's not Mage Knight I'd be *really* surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matzer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grudunza wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

I won't presume to answer for Paul, but if it's not Mage Knight I'd be *really* surprised.

Paul has it listed in his profile and it is indeed Mage Knight.

For me to answer OP. Yes this game is not just good but great. I only have 6 plays in since Saturday but it is all I think about playing. This was the board game I have been looking for since I started in the hobby last year. I agree with Luke in that the game does take effort similar to that of Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe I should get to play with Paul some time in the future. All of his top 10 games I know I am rating at least with 9/10, and the others are on my wishlist or owned but unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is good. My favorite part is that it is fairly challenging without really punishing you for making errors. You get to figure things out and improve without feeling like you set yourself back multiple scenarios.

Also the characters and flavor of the setting are great without being cliches. I mean, sure there are archetypes, but you get to learn about the world as you play. It's not all just fantasy tropes that you can just take for granted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Been playing it since last Friday and I'm liking it alot. It has the hand management/problem solving aspect that I like about Mage Knight, but it's part of a continuing campaign, which I also like.

One thing that sucks about Mage Knight is that it's almost too "zoomed out" (less detail in combat) and nothing carries over from game to game (unless there's some variant I haven't played). So you can spend 2/3/4/5 hours on a MK game and once it's done, it's done. Your character progression happens over the course of those hours and then you have all that setup/takedown time to deal with.

In Gloomhaven, you're watching your character(s) grow over many sessions and you have more fine control of their performance during combat. There's a bit more of a random element in combat with the attack modifier cards, whereas in MK you pretty much should know before combat starts what's going to happen.

While Mage Knight is significantly heavier on rules and has more things to keep track of, Gloomhaven does have a few weird-ish rules of its own, such as Loot/Treasure drops, but most of the rules are pretty easy to follow and make sense.

I'm still early in my campaign, but it appears to be branching off in different directions and I may be at a crossroads where the scenarios I decide to go on will open up/close different storylines. So it feels like your choices actually matter in the game, but I'll see as the campaign goes on if the game actually behaves that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I looked at my shelf the other day and realized I kind of miss some of my other games. I was just about to buy Kemet to play. All that's on hold for a while.

This game has taken over our group for a bit, and will probably be a staple until we've worn the thing out.

I'd say the best thing is the replay value. Every playthrough feels different because you bring different action cards, they get lost early sometimes, and how you interact with your team is really interesting. You get a "feel" for things like the speed of certain enemies or the capabilities of your team mates, but there's a strong sense of freshness every playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olanzuan wrote:

Thanks sauron

At this point in time, the real question is, how can you buy it. Total print run of 10,000 copies, 7500 towards kickstarter/direct pre-orders, 2500 went to retail with a suppossed demand of 25,000 from retail. Many pre-orders are going unfulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want details read my monster review. If you want the tl;dr: best game ever, play it as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fantastic so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As someone who doesn't exactly enjoy Mage Knight I think it is not quite the same level of mental effort. Gloomhaven is just about the tactical combat, and the choices are top and bottom of two cards. In mage knight you are thinking about exploration / night vs. day / mana / your whole hand of cards / influence etc. etc.

Gloomhaven to me is what I wanted Mage Knight to be. The card play is more streamlined, the combat is dynamic, and there are not a million things to keep track of and consider the whole time. Plus there is an actual story and long term progression and character building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethereality wrote:
GamerChicken wrote:

That does seem weird. Seems like it is possible to gain a level about every 4 scenarios for me. I'm happy with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olanzuan wrote:

Thanks sauron

Were you trying to steer people opinion's with that spelling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:

Complaints about leveling speed make no sense.

Yes they do. Some people want a faster pace to their game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's very good. Good enough that we're cancelling on other plans so we can just play Gloomhaven as much as possible. 10 scenarios in and having a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Kaine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to be careful so my wife doesn't get burned out, but I'd play it every night if she would. It's that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.