Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings.

I just got my copy today, and plan to play this evening with a group of people. All of us first time players.

Does anyone have any tips for us, common mistakes to avoid, common misinterpreted rules etc.?

Any guidance is appreciated as I hear this game is very unforgiving of play mistakes.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get a Kitchen Trainee and make burgers/pizza before you can pay for the Burger/Pizza Cook you'll earn for being the first to make that food item. That's a rookie mistake

Distances are calculated by counting the number of tile edges you cross, while following the road network.

Just remember this game gets better the more times you play, as you start to appreciate different strategies, so don't be disheartened if you are destroyed in your first game ha!

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself started with this game about a week ago.

Since you're all beginners, I suggest to start playing without having read all the strategies, etc. Because I think this way you will be better than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
Remind everyone before you start that this game requires experience to play well. The first game is a learning game even for seasoned strategy thinkers. It has the deepest strategy of any game I have ever played.

Due to the lack of randomness you can look back and see exactly where you made mistakes. Once you can do that you can start to look forward and anticipate implications of your moves turns ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
flag msg tools
PM me your type of "Soul Food"!
badge
mhhh...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest downloading and printing the FAQ in the file section. It covers 99% of all common misinterpretations or unclear rules

Lay it on the table and if rules question come up take a look at it!

In general: if something is stated in the rules, take it as it is. If there are no exceptions listed, there aren't any. Because of these questions the FAQ was made months ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Get a recruiting girl on the first turn (theres lot of talk about viability of a trainer opening, but for a first timer trust me, go recruiting girl)

2) Even if the game seems like it is going to take FOREVER, it speeds up DRASTICALLY when someone puts a radio out, because demand goes through the roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

My only advice is to play the full game, and not the recommended starting game where the bank only breaks once. The game is far too short playing this way, and will end just when everyone is starting to get a feel for it.

I have to disagree with not playing the gimped version. At the very least use it to play a few rounds. Then add in the milestones. They are required (IMHO) to make the game fun BUT they are a bit overwhelming at first and the basic order of events needs to be crystal clear before you integrate them. I have played 22 games and I have tried explaining to "experienced" gamers that they need to play the gimped version before jumping in the deep end and they all say the same thing. Oh we are not noobs we know how to play euros and will do fine. Then when i win by hundreds and hundreds of dollars they understand that there is more to this game than meets the eye and should have at least played a few rounds to understand the order of play. How advertising happens after dinner so you are planning the next nights dinner phase. How dinner phase works exactly and how advertising works exactly. This should all be done without milestones the first time as those break all the rules. But they have to understand that this is just a skeleton of the actual game and more than likely they will dislike it but then when you throw in the milestones the game really shines. Just take the designers word for it and at least run a few rounds like they say in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game and had pretty good results playing with the single bank break version only (everything else we played a normal game). The reason I went with the about $75 per player rule (I rounded up a little for the bank) was before you play the first time you won't really know what a strategy for a longer or shorter game might be so you could hamstring yourself before you even start playing. For everything else I emphasized the necessity of getting every milestone after explaining each one. "So you need all of these, every one, and you won't get them. You need the fridge to keep food on hand so you can change things out between turns but while your doing food she's going to go for marketing and never have to pay their salaries so you'll need to go for training but you can't because he went for recruiting and now you've both fallen behind so you need managers..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.