Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a few custom game boards for Advanced Civ which are pretty large, the smallest is about 20x30 and the largest is about 20x40. Has anyone tried printing large maps onto canvas? How is the quality? Does text show up well? Does rolling up the canvas make it difficult to flatten later? Any downsides?

Thought about it because Photobucket is having a huge sale on canvas posters right now...they're currently priced low enough that I would actually consider doing this. Plus, the idea of having a canvas board is really cool to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Have thought about doing this before, but never took the leap to try.
Very interested in any responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out fabricondemand.com. They have a wide variety of fabrics to pick from. They printed the 30x58" board for my Victory at Sea Redux game, and it turned out awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fabric print on demand place is Spoonflower. You have to order by the yard (36" by the width of the fabric usually 42" to 60"). They have a variety of fabrics.

Edit: check out Printing Game Boards to Fabric -- A Review of the Results
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links and recommendations all. I decided to give Spoonflower a try, and am impressed by their service. It's already been printed and shipped and I should have it by the end of the week...I'll post some pictures in this thread when I get it. We'll see how it turns out, but even if it doesn't turn out great it was under $20 total so I won't have wasted too much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoonflower is great... I just ordered some fabric that are pictures of the inside of Sagrada Familia for some dice bags for Sagrada. We visited there the last Christmas my dad was alive so I thought I'd get a copy for my brother and sister too for Christmas. I've gotten fabric there before... it's expensive, but you can get such specific prints which is great when you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Spoonflower order came early! I'm happy as a clam with it.

Here are a few pictures:

The text is all legible and no details were lost. Colors are vibrant, and it lays flat even with the folds from shipping. As you can see, it's quite large.

The packing slip recommends washing it, which I'm a bit nervous about. Anyone tried washing their boards? I think that would help get rid of the folds even though they're not too bad. I'll also have to see if I can bribe my wife to make a nice hemmed edge with her sewing machine...

EDIT: thought I'd add the fabric I ordered...Cotton Poplin Ultra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! What did it wind up costing you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Very nice! What did it wind up costing you?

The total including shipping was $19.20. That did include a 10% new customer discount as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Is this limited to 36 inches wide? I would like to blow up the Merchant of Venus map from 20x20 to 40x40.

Do you know if they are able to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
Is this limited to 36 inches wide? I would like to blow up the Merchant of Venus map from 20x20 to 40x40.

Do you know if they are able to do that?

You should be able to do that, but at least with Spoonflower I think you have to order by the whole yard, so you would have to order 2 yards of material even though you're only using a fraction of the second yard. I think they actually allow you unlimited yardage as long as you order by the whole yard.

If you have another board you'd like to print out maybe combine the two so you get use out of the second yard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecrazyscotsman wrote:

The packing slip recommends washing it, which I'm a bit nervous about. Anyone tried washing their boards? I think that would help get rid of the folds even though they're not too bad. I'll also have to see if I can bribe my wife to make a nice hemmed edge with her sewing machine...

EDIT: thought I'd add the fabric I ordered...Cotton Poplin Ultra

You don't have to wash it until it is dirty. The wrinkles can be taken care of with a steam iron. I use this fabric quilting... and though it all says wash it I only bother with red since it sometimes bleeds. Modern fabrics don't have a lot of the problems they used to have. ... when the quilts get washed, cold water please, I have never had a problem.

You may want to use the quilter starch, can't remember the name, when you iron to help the fabric lay flatter. Your map looks great!

(edit: note about starch)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for cold wash on a gently cycle. You should be fine. Hit it with an iron and your good to go.

If you are going to trim it, not sure how prone that fabric is to fraying, but you can get fabric a glue/gel stuff to apply to the edges to seal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomiooooo8 wrote:
You don't have to wash it until it is dirty. The wrinkles can be taken care of with a steam iron. I use this fabric quilting... and though it all says wash it I only bother with red since it sometimes bleeds. Modern fabrics don't have a lot of the problems they used to have. ... when the quilts get washed, cold water please, I have never had a problem.

You may want to use the quilter starch, can't remember the name, when you iron to help the fabric lay flatter. Your map looks great!

mls5stokes wrote:
+1 for cold wash on a gently cycle. You should be fine. Hit it with an iron and your good to go.

If you are going to trim it, not sure how prone that fabric is to fraying, but you can get fabric a glue/gel stuff to apply to the edges to seal it.

Thanks for the advice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Hodge
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mmm, Circus Peanuts
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a little late, but how about just sewing to finish the edge. Maybe like binding a quilt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
Check out fabricondemand.com. They have a wide variety of fabrics to pick from. They printed the 30x58" board for my Victory at Sea Redux game, and it turned out awesome.

Same comment here. I'll have to keep in mind the VaS Redux in mind--that's on my to-build queue.

I did the Civ redesign at fabricondemand and it turned out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
thecrazyscotsman wrote:

Here are a few pictures:

Where did you get the image with the Trade goods added to the city sites and names on the map? I would love to print out one that has these on it. I have the AH board and have always wanted to try the Trade city variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Where did you get the image with the Trade goods added to the city sites and names on the map? I would love to print out one that has these on it. I have the AH board and have always wanted to try the Trade city variant.

I downloaded the map files from here where they are freely available along with a bunch of other things as part of the Civ Project. I then added the the trade cities in with Illustrator. I wasn't interested in the expanded board that the Civ Project came up with, so I cropped it to roughly the original Advanced Civilization's size.

If you'd rather just duplicate what I did you're welcome to do so. Here is the image I uploaded to Spoonflower, and here is the complete Illustrator file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomiooooo8 wrote:
You may want to use the quilter starch, can't remember the name, when you iron to help the fabric lay flatter.

Perhaps Mary Ellen's Best Press? http://maryellenproducts.com/Best-Press-Lavender-Fields-The-...

Another means of setting dye is to pre-soak in cold water and white vinegar. If the color is bleeding, you'll know immediately. Change the soaking liquid if it is discolored. Rinse in cold water until the water is clear. Then, if you're really worried, throw in one of those color-catching thingies in the wash to take on any more bleeding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hellibrarian wrote:
This may be a little late, but how about just sewing to finish the edge. Maybe like binding a quilt.

Those are actually two wholly different finishes.

If you were sewing to keep the edge from fraying, you might use a zigzag stitch or give it a quick pass through an overlocker or serger.

With binding, you prepare strips of fabric -- typically cotton cut on the bias -- carefully to wrap and cover the edge. A quilt binding is typically hand-sewn, but can be machine sewn as well.

Well, drat. The video tutorial(s) I'd planned to link moved and the new owner has put them behind a paywall. Search on YouTube for "how to bias quilt binding" and you should find any number of tips. There are a LOT of different techniques.

Trust this is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Hodge
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mmm, Circus Peanuts
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:

Well, drat. The video tutorial(s) I'd planned to link moved and the new owner has put them behind a paywall. Search on YouTube for "how to bias quilt binding" and you should find any number of tips. There are a LOT of different techniques.
Trust this is useful.

Bias tape is a great idea, I was just thinking of some sort of hemmed edge to make it look a little better than a raw cut edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.