Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Just need some input from the crowd rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Hey all,

New user here, and a new board game enthusiast as well. With that being said, I would like to pick your brain for a minute or two.

With my new found interest, I have been dragging my family into my madness, and they have enjoyed it thus far, but I want to get into heavier games that they may not be interested in such as Zombicide: Black Plague, Blood Rage, A Feast for Odin, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, and others of that nature.

As someone that does not know a lot of people interested in board games, where do you gather to enjoy board games with others?

Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house?

What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?

If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be?

How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby?

I appreciate any feedback that you can provide, and thank you for your time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play at people's houses. Most of my gaming now comes from a group I met through a friend of a friend in my D&D group, and things just evolved from there. Before that I tried to go to some local game stores but they were super cliquish and it just felt really awkward and unwelcoming so I stopped going.

I really don't buy into the notion that local game stores do much to promote gaming, at least from what I have experienced. It just seems they are more a hang out for self absorbed jerks who want to protect their arrangement of mostly empty tables while they sleeve cards and look at reddit memes, rather than actually enjoy gaming as a past time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi B1ueEyes, welcome aboard!

As someone that does not know a lot of people interested in board games, where do you gather to enjoy board games with others? - All of our gaming takes place at either our home or the home of other family members. We have a large extended family, so that helps, but the unfortunately they all live at least an hour away.

Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house? - See above.

What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?
- We sometimes check out local stores and have one near us that I especially like as their prices are not grotesquely over-inflated (which is often the case with LGS) and the employees are friendly and welcoming (which is also not always the case).

If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be? - They would give me free games every time I walk through the door.

How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby? - Well, we have a young child, so that makes socializing tricky sometimes because we don't want her to be a distraction to others, but we also don't have anybody we trust nearby to babysit. Thus, most of my gaming is with the hubby and with family members when it works out. I think there are a lot of gamers in our area, we just aren't able to interact with them much.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games with several friends and with my wife, but most of my gaming takes place at a local boardgame cafe or a weekly local boardgame meeting. There, I also found lots of gamers with whom I now play privately often as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play heavy games with my friends, with my SO, it's lighter fare. She likes games, I love them. I like my FLGS but 90% of their events are X-Wing, Armada and MT:G, all of which is fine, but I don't want to spend all available monies on ONE hobby, as I have several hobbies.

Meetup is a great way to find a game group.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Thank you for the warm welcome, and the responses you have provided.

I don't really want to feel like the "new guy outcast," and that may be why I am a little hesitant to try any events at my nearest FLGS, but I am curious to check it out. It seems to me that most locations have events that revolve around a select few games, which is extremely limiting, puts the location in a bubble, and prevents growth within gaming interaction.

It is time for an evolution! I have only seen one location in my area that has open game night, but it is limited to one night a week.

I will continue to play games with my family, and find ways to evolve into heavier games. My nephews are willing to get into heavier games with me, but it is a hard balance of finding time that meshes well with all of our schedules.

I would absolutely take free games too. Hahaha... Unfortunately, that likely is not going to happen unless there were contests beyond the usual event schedule.

I look forward to interacting with you all as I grow in this new hobby.

Thanks again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news for you: Zombicide, Robinson, Odin: all can be played solo! And many, many more.

Come join us:
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1231871/1-player-guild/gener...

Of course that doesn't mean you can't find a group to play, that would be great. But if you don't just know that you can actually play those games.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Stancill
msg tools
I go to a group each week that meets in the function room of a pub on a Tuesday evening. All of my current gaming friends were met at that group, and now I'll play games at someone's house once or twice a week too. I can't for the life of me get my family and other friends into gaming (I consider you lucky in that regard, Bobby!), so I'm pretty pleased to have found the place.

I was a fairly nervous person when I first got into board games (20 years old, but felt rather like a kid), but I had recently heard about Catan and Dominion and was pretty excited to try them out. So I practiced what I was going to say when I got there, marched down to the local game store, walked past it at least once to scope out the place before I went in, then introduced myself at the counter.

Unfortunately the night I arrived they were mostly interested in Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering. It's possible I had decided to come down to their card game night, on the logic that Dominion is a card game, and ended up in a group of CCG players. Was there a board game night at the shop that would have served me better? Regardless, I didn't get to play a game that night, and left after half an hour, though I did manage to make the effort to chat to a few people while I was there.

I wasn't dissuaded, and there was another gaming group on my hit-list. I was actually more nervous about going to this one because it was in a pub, and a pub really was not my natural environment, which is why I had tried the shop first. My mental image was that at a shop there was a counter with an attendant whose job it was to help you out, who could hopefully get me towards a gaming table (and there had been, and he did), but at I pub I was going to have to use actual human interacting skills just to get noticed. I could imagine one small table in the corner of a dim, semi-friendly pub, around which were sat five or so middle aged, long haired ale drinkers, and me trying to break into the group without knowing anyone.

Thankfully, the group had a online forum, and online forums I was well experienced to deal with. I introduced myself there, asked if anyone would like to play Dominion, and by next day I had replies with warm welcomes and three interested players.

My first night at the club was easier than I expected. It was a tiny place, just enough space for about five tables, filled with gamers (all ages, slightly more 25-35 year olds, I would say, and a few women), and maybe one or two other patrons who came for a drink at the bar and weren't really sure why everyone else was playing board games. Pretty heavenly place, now I think back on it! I paced a bit and tried to mingle without sounding weird (that always was my concern), but my Dominion players found me pretty quickly and that was that. We played Ticket To Ride Europe afterwards, and I won.

We've moved pub since then, but I've probably missed less than twenty Tuesday nights in the last four years (I was still nervous about going for the first three or four weeks, but that was just me).

We've got a few dedicated CCG players, some wargamers, some designers, some people who are mainly interested in Kanban or Food Chain Magnate, and some people who just want to play Avalon, Sushi Go and Codenames. Regular player's ages range from about 16 to 80ish, though we've had people bring their kids in too (possible not a strictly a kid friendly environment, but I would say we haven't disgraced ourselves too much yet). The club owns a small number of games, but mostly games are bought in on the night by members, and lot of those are simply left out on a table in the room for anyone to borrow for the evening. All in all, wonderful place.

That was my intro into the hobby, anyway. Not sure there was a point to the story, I just forget to stop typing. But there are certainly great groups of gamers out there looking for you. Don't let being The New Guy put you off. If you want to play games, and I think we all do, go and find people to play them with, and I hope you have some great experiences along the way like I did.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Registrau wrote:
Good news for you: Zombicide, Robinson, Odin: all can be played solo! And many, many more.

Come join us:
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1231871/1-player-guild/gener...

Of course that doesn't mean you can't find a group to play, that would be great. But if you don't just know that you can actually play those games.


Thank you for the link! I have subscribed, and will look through the posts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Sam250 wrote:
I go to a group each week that meets in the function room of a pub on a Tuesday evening. All of my current gaming friends were met at that group, and now I'll play games at someone's house once or twice a week too. I can't for the life of me get my family and other friends into gaming (I consider you lucky in that regard, Bobby!), so I'm pretty pleased to have found the place.

I was a fairly nervous person when I first got into board games (20 years old, but felt rather like a kid), but I had recently heard about Catan and Dominion and was pretty excited to try them out. So I practiced what I was going to say when I got there, marched down to the local game store, walked past it at least once to scope out the place before I went in, then introduced myself at the counter.

Unfortunately the night I arrived they were mostly interested in Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering. It's possible I had decided to come down to their card game night, on the logic that Dominion is a card game, and ended up in a group of CCG players. Was there a board game night at the shop that would have served me better? Regardless, I didn't get to play a game that night, and left after half an hour, though I did manage to make the effort to chat to a few people while I was there.

I wasn't dissuaded, and there was another gaming group on my hit-list. I was actually more nervous about going to this one because it was in a pub, and a pub really was not my natural environment, which is why I had tried the shop first. My mental image was that at a shop there was a counter with an attendant whose job it was to help you out, who could hopefully get me towards a gaming table (and there had been, and he did), but at I pub I was going to have to use actual human interacting skills just to get noticed. I could imagine one small table in the corner of a dim, semi-friendly pub, around which were sat five or so middle aged, long haired ale drinkers, and me trying to break into the group without knowing anyone.

Thankfully, the group had a online forum, and online forums I was well experienced to deal with. I introduced myself there, asked if anyone would like to play Dominion, and by next day I had replies with warm welcomes and three interested players.

My first night at the club was easier than I expected. It was a tiny place, just enough space for about five tables, filled with gamers (all ages, slightly more 25-35 year olds, I would say, and few women), and maybe one or two other patrons who came for a drink at the bar and weren't really sure why everyone else was playing board games. Pretty heavenly place, now I think back on it! I paced a bit and tried to mingle without sounding weird (that always was my concern), but my Dominion players found me pretty quickly and that was that. We played Ticket To Ride Europe afterwards, and I won.

We've moved pub since then, but I've probably missed less than twenty Tuesday nights in the last four years (I was still nervous about going for the first three or four weeks, but that was just me).

We've got a few dedicated CCG players, some wargamers, some designers, some people who are mainly interested in Kanban or Food Chain Magnate, and some people who just want to play Avalon, Sushi Go and Codenames. Regular player's ages range from about 16 to 80ish, though we've had people bring their kids in too (possible not a strictly a kid friendly environment, but I would say we haven't disgraced ourselves too much yet). The club owns a small number of games, but mostly games are bought in on the night by members, and lot of those are simply left out on a table in the room for anyone to borrow for the evening. All in all, wonderful place.

That was my intro into the hobby, anyway. Not sure there was a point to the story, I just forget to stop typing. But there are certainly great groups of gamers out there looking for you. Don't let being The New Guy put you off. If you want to play games, and I think we all do, go and find people to play them with, and I hope you have some great experiences along the way like I did.


This was a great read. Hahaha... Thank you for your reply. I will look for some good groups to play with. I know they are out there, it is just a matter of jumping into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house?

I've been a regular at several game stores in the past, but with kids and all I mostly play at home.

What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?

Best part about playing at a game store is that you don't have to own every game you play.

If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be?


It would be a lot closer and open until 3AM.

How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby?

I've been playing with the same game group for some 25 years, so this has never been an issue for me. I've always been the focal point of the game group as people come and go, but I've never gone long without a game night.

Pete (has been lucky that way)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing at a friend's house where most of my game playing still goes on. I've since played at other folks homes and invited them to mine. I haven't played at my FLGS because every time I go in the tables are full of X-Wing players, and the open games are at a bad time for me. Plus I like to have an adult beverage at the table. There are several meet ups in my area if things get desperate and I have considered starting my own.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B1ueEyes wrote:
Hey all,

New user here, and a new board game enthusiast as well. With that being said, I would like to pick your brain for a minute or two.

With my new found interest, I have been dragging my family into my madness, and they have enjoyed it thus far, but I want to get into heavier games that they may not be interested in such as Zombicide: Black Plague, Blood Rage, A Feast for Odin, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, and others of that nature.


First off, I noticed you're in Utah. There are at least 3 annual conventions there...
Bryce Con (which already occurred in Jan.) in Bryce Canyon
STG Con which is on the southern end of the state
Salt Con which is in Salt Lake City

They're big enough (IIRC, 500+ attendees) that you'll have a much easier time getting in these larger games. Plus, folks tend to be there all day, and crave gaming just like you.

Another place to find gamers is see if there's a Meetup.com group for your area, or check out the "West" (US) region here on BGG.com, ask if there are any groups nearby.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/101/boardgamegeek/west

The usual suspects like Facebook.com and Craigslist can help for finding local gamers

Going into a FLGS may not yield you desirable gaming groups or schedule to boot, but talking to the other gamers there and/or FLGS employees, they may be able to recommend alternative venues, or private events.

It's at my FLGS I realized "regular board gaming" is nonexistent, mostly by the likes of X-Wing Minis and Magic The Gathering gamers, but one of the X-Wing Minis gamer did recommend a biweekly gaming night that he goes to. THAT ended up opening up another door to another private game night.

B1ueEyes wrote:
As someone that does not know a lot of people interested in board games, where do you gather to enjoy board games with others?

Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house?

Past actions have been determined by simply what's available. Early on, a FLGS hosted us every Sat. evening for gaming. What made that nice was one gamer was entrusted with the key, so even after all employees left for the night, we were able to stick around since he'd be able to lock up. Now... FLGS isn't so suitable (as mentioned above) so I'm with private residences.

nice thing about private residences is you more or less decide when to leave. Whereas public venues kick you out at closing time, at the discretion of the hosts, private residences can go overtime to get in an extra game, or finish up the game you're playing.

B1ueEyes wrote:
What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?

When the one hosted weekly game nights, that was a blast. Great memories there. Playing back, to back, to back, to back games of Dominion, as the expansions got released, until the sun came out... I doubt I'll ever have that chance to do that again. Plus, having a gaming group where we played on average, 2 games of Battlestar Galactica per week, for 8 months, with the Pegasus and Exodus expansions, would also be hard to match ever again.


B1ueEyes wrote:
If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be?
For that one FLGS, I wish it wasn't mismanaged, and thus, had to close down

I wish my local FLGS had people who'd play regular board games more than a few times every 4 or 5 months. As such I don't bother going anymore. One store employee can also game while on the job, but it's moot as I'm taking a class at that time slot

B1ueEyes wrote:
How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby?

Yes. This is my situation now. I like the job, town, and other tradeoffs I'm in now, but the gaming situation is weak. Granted, you could say I've gotten spoiled when in the past decade, I had 3 weeks where I played board games every, day, of, the, week cool

TBH, I wouldn't want to be playing bg every waking minute outside of work, but I'd like to ideally and realistically play twice a week. Quality has to be there too, as if we just play party games or "bad games", then that's not gaming to me. I may still go if the food and company are good, but that's not "gamer games". I have a list that I'd always like to replay, with expansions, and even try out new games folks bring in.

I've filled the gaming void by resuming getting through my backlog of video games for Wii, PC/Steam, Android, and iOS. Also taking on other projects.

Oh.. that's right, I did a thread on that!...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1334265/poll-how-often-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar B
United States
California
flag msg tools
My Friends and I use to play all the time at a FLGS but no longer. The main reason we no longer play there is most FLGS are not designed to support people playing there. The one we use to play at had a small footprint of a store and a very large gaming area which was more like a club house. We were roleplayers mostly back then and it had the right feel plus the club house feel made it more of a social place then a store. This model is hard for most places to duplicate and support. Back then MTG was big money and they made a ton of money selling cards to support the club house.

The few FLGS in my area are to cramped for that setting. They also attract not the best crowds. They do have special nights but that have decent players but its still crowded and most of them are attending for events that are planned.

I think this is why game cafes are in the trend. They appeal to just the service part of playing area and food for gamers. This was how the old FLGS I was in use to be. Large club area. Tables, couches, private rp rooms and food. Meetup gamers meet mostly at restaurants and places like that and use the internet for recruiting.

We now play at homes now. We don't have those nice walk players like we use to. Many were great players. However since we have grown up we do manage to fill the ranks with nieces and nephews and their friends. It has its draw back but still doing good. We are looking to maybe post some sort of meetup or something to look for players like us to expand our group.

I would love to see a club house like gaming place again. The problem is revenue. It would most likely have to be a food place first or something. The place would have to be really good at networking and getting groups to attend or be in a nice location. Location, location, location one the keys to business. Good locations also means higher rent.

What I would change about my FLGS. Friendlier staff and them more active in seeing to the needs of those playing there, but that is a problem because they make their money selling things. The FLGS would have to become more of a social place and that means interaction with those who play.

Our group since it has become more of friends and family. Environment counts alot. When we roleplay privacy also counts. Having to much noise or there is some limiting factors when your in the middle of a room with other people when roleplaying. That is why the old private rooms were cool. Also alot of our games like zombicide and other minis are all painted and tons of pieces. Its hard to keep track of that in a crowded room compared to at home. So those are some of the pros and cons now to playing at FLGS compared to home play. Hope this perspective helps with what your looking for in feedback.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B1ueEyes wrote:
Hey all,

New user here, and a new board game enthusiast as well. With that being said, I would like to pick your brain for a minute or two.

With my new found interest, I have been dragging my family into my madness, and they have enjoyed it thus far, but I want to get into heavier games that they may not be interested in such as Zombicide: Black Plague, Blood Rage, A Feast for Odin, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, and others of that nature.

As someone that does not know a lot of people interested in board games, where do you gather to enjoy board games with others?

Before I moved, I regularly met up at my FLGS to play games. My FLGS also had a big Saturday boardgaming event every month, so I attended that as well. I also liked to have events at my house, and some of my boardgaming buddies also hosted game days/nights at their houses.

Since the move, it's been harder, the closest FLGS is kinda far, and the crowd just isn't as good as my old one. My friends in the area I moved to aren't as into boardgaming as I am, but they're slowly getting there. So I usually just play lighter games with them.

Once I get a little more situated, though, I'm gonna try to start going more regularly to FLGS's and making more bg friends on my level.

Quote:
Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house?

I like both, but I definitely prefer either hosting or going to someones house. It's a much more comfortable atmosphere, and usually less noisy. Plus you don't have to pay for food (at least usually whoever's hosting will buy or make food, and everyone else will bring snacks or drinks).

Quote:
What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?

Well, for me it was just a good halfway-point for everyone. So it was easy for all of us to meet there, as opposed to someones house, which might be a farther drive. On top of that, friendly employees, and demo games were a nice draw, and it's just generally a nice atmosphere, at least the ones I've been to were. It's also a great way to make friends and meet new people.

Quote:
If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be?

I would like to have one again. Since I moved, the ones around are more of FGS's, because they're not exactly local. So having one closer to me would be really nice. But in general, here's what I look for in a FLGS:
•Good lighting
•Friendly and helpful employees
•Good selection of games, that aren't overpriced
•Good selection of demo games
•Regular, scheduled, board game meetups (some FLGS's just don't cater to the boardgaming crowd, and only focus on TCGs and/or Roleplaying games)
•Good selection of restaurants/grocery stores in the sorrounding area. (At my old FLGS, there was a Publix right next door, as well as a Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and a Cuban restaurant all in the area. At the one I've been to since I moved, there's a Milk Tea cafe, a pizza place, and some more upscale Asian restaurants. Another good selection)

Quote:
How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby?

It can definitely be a challenge if you're not in a good area for it. You might have to do a bit of driving if you really want to. Best places to look are your FLGS (ask if they have regular board game meetups), Meetup.com (check for board game meetups in your area), or just invite your friends over for a while. My gaming group used to be 3 people (Me, My sister, and one of our friends, and it was like that for a long long time, but we slowly started adding more friends, and then I started going to my FLGS more often, and made even more friends, and before I knew it my group was like 10+ people, and it was amazing!) Just keep at it. If you have to play with your family for a while, just keep at it, and just invite friends over, even if they're not super stoked about it, eventually it'll come together.

Quote:
I appreciate any feedback that you can provide, and thank you for your time.

Thank you for the questions! Happy to help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Thank you for the feedback.

It has been hard finding time to venture out to events put on by my FLGS, but I have had a consistent with my family. There is usually about ten of us that gather once a week to enjoy games together, and I have introduced them to games that they never heard of, and they loved them.

I will continue to grow the enjoyment with my family so that I can introduce heavier games to them over time. Eventually, I would like to branch out to my FLGS to try some of their events though. Baby steps...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B1ueEyes wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.

It has been hard finding time to venture out to events put on by my FLGS, but I have had a consistent with my family. There is usually about ten of us that gather once a week to enjoy games together, and I have introduced them to games that they never heard of, and they loved them.

I will continue to grow the enjoyment with my family so that I can introduce heavier games to them over time. Eventually, I would like to branch out to my FLGS to try some of their events though. Baby steps...


Well, how's it going?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is mostly filled with teenagers playing Magic and mostly supports only Magic, though they do sell board games. BUT... where I live there are a lot of board game cafes!

My husband and I found an open group on Meetup that plays every other week at one of these cafes. They're very friendly people and open to almost any game. Everyone brings games to enjoy and we split up based on how many players show up that week. They do charge $1/meetup to cover the meetup.com fees, which turns some people away but doesn't bother me too much, since the facilitators show up early to reserve tables.

We also invited some people over to play one day and they had fun. It organically grew into a weekly affair, which we're quite enjoying.

I think anytime you just show up at a game cafe or FLGS it's tough, but if they have events posted it's easier to say "I'm here for the ___" and be shown what tables to head to. I've done this with a developer's day where a company was showing off its games, and a few other events like "tuesday gateway games" or "monday night designer night."

For the most part I've found the people very friendly and it's been a good experience, but I wouldn't just show up and hope to find someone to play with. I kind of wish the cafes in my area would have an option to put something on the table to show that you're looking for more players. It would make it easier to find a game if you do just show up looking to play or to find more players if you want to play a game at an ideal play count.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
B1ueEyes wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.

It has been hard finding time to venture out to events put on by my FLGS, but I have had a consistent with my family. There is usually about ten of us that gather once a week to enjoy games together, and I have introduced them to games that they never heard of, and they loved them.

I will continue to grow the enjoyment with my family so that I can introduce heavier games to them over time. Eventually, I would like to branch out to my FLGS to try some of their events though. Baby steps...


Well, how's it going?


It is going well. I continue to introduce my family to games, and they have enjoyed them all thus far. Luckily, my nephews are willing to jump into heavier games, so I get to experience those with them, and build a stronger relationship with them at the same time.

I still have not made it to my FLGS due to lack of time available to do so, but I am still looking to do it one of these days.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
B1ueEyes wrote:
As someone that does not know a lot of people interested in board games, where do you gather to enjoy board games with others?

I play at my house. I have a big office.

Quote:
Do you prefer going to your FLGS, or do you mostly gather at your own house or a friend’s house?

I don't ever play at the store. And I buy most of my games online.

Quote:
What is it that draws you back to your local FLGS?

If I need paint.

Quote:
If you could change anything about your local FLGS, what would that be?

They would carry better paint.

Quote:
How many of you have an issue where it is hard to find others to partake in this hobby?

I tell anyone who asks (and lots that don't) that I play a lot of board games. I also sometimes set up game nights at work. My problem isn't that I have trouble finding other gamers. My problem is not having enough games that fit all the people who want to show up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
My FLGS is mostly filled with teenagers playing Magic and mostly supports only Magic, though they do sell board games. BUT... where I live there are a lot of board game cafes!

My husband and I found an open group on Meetup that plays every other week at one of these cafes. They're very friendly people and open to almost any game. Everyone brings games to enjoy and we split up based on how many players show up that week. They do charge $1/meetup to cover the meetup.com fees, which turns some people away but doesn't bother me too much, since the facilitators show up early to reserve tables.

We also invited some people over to play one day and they had fun. It organically grew into a weekly affair, which we're quite enjoying.

I think anytime you just show up at a game cafe or FLGS it's tough, but if they have events posted it's easier to say "I'm here for the ___" and be shown what tables to head to. I've done this with a developer's day where a company was showing off its games, and a few other events like "tuesday gateway games" or "monday night designer night."

For the most part I've found the people very friendly and it's been a good experience, but I wouldn't just show up and hope to find someone to play with. I kind of wish the cafes in my area would have an option to put something on the table to show that you're looking for more players. It would make it easier to find a game if you do just show up looking to play or to find more players if you want to play a game at an ideal play count.


Sounds like a good time. My big issue currently is trying to find the time to make it to any type of game cafe or FLGS.

My Sunday family game night has been going well, and is usually when I get my gametime in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
I tell anyone who asks (and lots that don't) that I play a lot of board games. I also sometimes set up game nights at work. My problem isn't that I have trouble finding other gamers. My problem is not having enough games that fit all the people who want to show up.


It is tough to find a game that suits everyone's taste, and fit the size of group too. That is how it is with my family. A lot of times I don't know if they will enjoy the game, but so far they have liked all the games I have brought to the table.

I try to set up multiple games for various group sizes, but usually they choose not to play if I do that. I do not like to leave people out of the fun, but sometimes you have to in order to get certain games to the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.