Will Bachman
United States
Bluffdale
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a tough time identifying exactly what my family likes in games. I thought if I put a list of likes and dislikes all you wonderful gamers out there could recommend me something new and shiny.

Likes: Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Smash Up, Legendary, Baldrick's Tomb, Codenames, Sheriff of Nottingham, Aeon's End, Munchkin, Castle Ravenloft, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Jungle Ascent, Love Letter, Formula D.

Dislikes: Kingdom Builder, Great Western Trail, Castle Panic, Grand Austria Hotel, Race for the galaxy, Nightfall, Last Will, Village, King of Tokyo.

It feels all over the place and random on what I can pick up and have it enjoyed by everyone. Deck builders are sometimes great. Complexity is good sometimes but mostly not? I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a tough one!

My guess is that your family likes to feel a sense of satisfaction of having built/made/collected something... with a list of exceptions, haha.

Try Castles of Mad King Ludwig?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly lighter games is thr only trend I see. Would need to figure out why you disliked the other light games to round it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know all the games you listed but my theory is to comes down to if the rules make sense they apply and strategy is dependent on how you play rather than using the rules.
Weight of the game wouldn't factor in if its heavy due to player conflict, length, and things like that.

King of tokyo, an easy game but your basing your choices on the rules and chances of what your rolling. Grand austira hotel has a bunch of finicy rules that are there to slow you down from getting what you can clearly see as what you want.
Compare that to smash up where the rules are a bit hard for some to pick up but the key is all you really need to know is explained out on the card. Betrayal, your really only looking up the rules that apply to you at that specific time.

some games that might work well for you guys:
The Downfall of Pompeii - a light choice
Revolution! - light but feels a little meater with its high dependence on blind bidding correctly
Small World - gives the same feeling as smash up
Sushi Go Party! - a good pick and pass
The Castles of Burgundy - many compare this to grand austria hotel, so depending on how that game struck your group this could work better. I like Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia for my pick of dice placement though.

also, how many players is your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like you like games a bit on the lighter side and I'd wager... interaction (but King of Tokyo is a little baffling)?

Possibly Dixit (I haven't played, but it seems like it would fit your tastes).

And I'd suggest looking into Colt Express, but it's hard to say. Lots of interaction/messing with each other's plans. Can be chaotic but also fairly tactical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems you like light weight euros and social games with a decent amount of interaction and take-that. You might prefer tactical over strategic play and dislike complexity. That's not my wheelhouse so I can't recommend much (Small World?), but I'm sure others can help with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a gut feeling but, maybe take a look at;

Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2

Splendor

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

TransAmerica

and maybe even; Fresco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your tastes are a bit all over the place so it does seem tough to nail down what you'll like. I think you may just need to keep playing more games and different games to continue ironing out your preferences.

With that being said, I'd agree with others the only real threads of commonality I'm seeing is relatively simple rulesets with meaningful but not too deep strategy. Basically it seems most of the games your group has disliked tend to have deeper strategy than your likes list. (With some exceptions of course).

I also happen to dislike Kingdom Builder, Race for the Galaxy, and King of Tokyo. In my opinion the main commonality there is a general inability to engage in long term strategy--then again several of your likes also seem to have that trait. Still, in order to win games like Kingdom Builder and Race for the Galaxy in particular, it takes a lot more "tactics"--I'm not sure that's quite the word I want to use. The concept I'm trying to get across is simply that Race for the Galaxy and Kingdom Builder involve quite a different thought process regarding how to win in my opinion and it's much more turn to turn and transient than some of the long term planning and strategy found in other games like Carcossone and Ticket to Ride.

Overall I'm not exactly what I'd suggest. I suppose some combination of Isle of Skye, Pandemic, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Lords of Waterdeep all spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep or Champions of Midgard
Clank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like anything into the light medium weight euros are out. Lets go for Sushi Go!, Coup, and Machi Koro. These are going to gel well with the collection you have described. Nothing next level, but more variety. Also looks like deckbuilding is going over super well. Perhaps more expansions for Legendary would work also. Also, try Camel Up and Jamaica, these seem to be crowd pleasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's already been said but the trend of what you guys like is clearly the simpler and lighter rules. I don't think that is a bad thing at all although I do very much enjoy some of the games listed in your dislike pile.

+1 Jamaica
+1 Dixit

Alhambra
Tobago
Karuba
Avenue
Tokaido
Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see simpler rules, family-style interaction, and a little bit of screwage. My recommendation: Imhotep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to add Bohnanza

and a very good dice game is Würfel Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I want to add Bohnanza

and a very good dice game is Würfel Bohnanza

Aha a plus one for Bohnanza. Excellent suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Networks

Easy to learn.
Quick to play.
Decent strategy.
Not a great deal of take that.
You build something.
Lighthearted humor in the cards.
Scales easily and equally well from 1 to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Sheriff of Nottingham, let me suggest games with even more negotiation: I'm the Boss or Nothing Personal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bachman
United States
Bluffdale
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. These reflect the tastes of four people combined. I actually really love most of the games on the dislike list, but I'll play what gets to the table. I'll be taking advantage of the FLGS to test more with the group, since it's clearly difficult to predict a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmb
you will find it hard to get games that suit everyone in a family IMO

i play only with my wife and 3 kids, and at times, people just duck out and don't play, which is fine, just dont buy games that 'need' 4 players

i would suggest based on what you have put:

Colt Express
Camel Up(not with the expansion, i have it, but it adds more complex to a game that is pretty simple)
Imhotep
Patchwork(2 player game)
Hive(2 players again)

They are all fairly easy to play and are light games.

Out of all the games we play, i think Hive probably gets played by everyone more than any of the others, and i have a bunch that you do and do not like to play also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
It seems like you like games a bit on the lighter side and I'd wager... interaction (but King of Tokyo is a little baffling)?

Possibly Dixit (I haven't played, but it seems like it would fit your tastes).

And I'd suggest looking into Colt Express, but it's hard to say. Lots of interaction/messing with each other's plans. Can be chaotic but also fairly tactical.

This is accurate but King of Tokyo might have made the list for dice-chuckyness? Yes, that is a word!

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) might be up your street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, this is due to what looks like a tile-placement liking It's an awesome one up to the Carcassone system that offers something different, different enough that it's worthwhile to have both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.