Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Protospiel - Milwaukee returns for 2017! This is our 6th show and fifth year in a row.

If you're an aspiring designer or someone who likes to play test games, there's few finer events on the calendar. Our design and development convention is a great place to work with your peers on making the best game you can.

Join us for another in a great series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's some helpful links on playtesting, helping you in your work and giving you some understanding of the Protospiel concept;

The Five Big Questions (and Answers) about Protospiel

Prepping For Playtest - Tips and tricks

10 Playtest Principles - Advice on how to be a good playtester

The Protospiel - Milwaukee FAQ is available. As are the 2013, 2014, and 2015 photo galleries.

There's a geeklist of games that came out of Protospiel.

The League of Gamemakers has an article on Protospiel.

Attending Protospiel Events with The Game Crafter - Episode 12

Some thoughts about Protospiel on Play Without Fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Milwaukee. How fun is this (fun being relative)? I've been playing for about three years, mostly Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Drift Marlo wrote:
I live in Milwaukee. How fun is this (fun being relative)? I've been playing for about three years, mostly Euros.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, because I find it a lot of fun. Obviously.

But I'll try to take a step back and assess it from the "I'm just looking to play games all weekend" perspective.

Protospiel is a constant stream of open pickup games. Many are pretty good already as designers are often embarrassed (unfairly) if they show something that's more sketch than product. Most prototypes have had limited effort put into their appearance, but some will be quite nice.

You'll play what you choose to play; everyone is looking for people to play with pretty constantly so if something looks less fun to you, you can easily say "No, but thank you." and get in on something else. Virtually everything on offer is similar to the type of game you like.

People will want to hear your feelings about and ideas on their game, but you can take a quick and easy approach to feedback and move on to other things. The event is open constantly from start to end, so you come and go as you please. And there's coffee.

Frankly, if you're looking for a cheap, constant game weekend, this should suit you well. Lots of play and a chance to help people with their projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You answered my question beautifully. I'm very curious to play prototypes and this sounds great. I'll check my calendar and pop in. Thanks for the insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For another year, we'll be lucky to have experienced and professional attendees from Mayfair Games at Protospiel - Milwaukee. Alex and Brad bring with them a wealth of real design and development experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.