Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Couple Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ponzini
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just a few situations I would like to ask you guys about that we had.

1. There was a demon with 4/6 health that pulled a ranged heal ability for 3 health. There was another demon in range with 4/9 health. Would he top himself off or heal his buddy?

2. There was a demon that usually was melee. He pulled a monster card that read move first then attack range below that. Since they perform their cards from top to bottom would he move in melee range first then attack range for disadvantage? My instincts tell me he wouldn't.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ponzini wrote:

2. There was a demon that usually was melee. He pulled a monster card that read move first then attack range below that. Since they perform their cards from top to bottom would he move in melee range first then attack range for disadvantage? My instincts tell me he wouldn't.

Thanks!

That's right. In fact, if he was in melee, as a ranged attacker that round, he'll leave melee to make his ranged attack at his focus without disadvantage, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponzini wrote:

Haven't played too much, but one of the rules I know is that Monster AI is that they move only enough to maximize damage. With a target 1, they only move enough to hit their focus. If it's a target 2, rules get a bit more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponzini wrote:
Just a few situations I would like to ask you guys about that we had.

1. There was a demon with 4/6 health that pulled a ranged heal ability for 3 health. There was another demon in range with 4/9 health. Would he top himself off or heal his buddy?

Thanks!

1. See pg. 31 of rules: "Healing: Monster healing functions exactly like character healing as discussed on p. 26. With a “Heal X” ability, the monster will heal themselves or an ally within the specified range, whichever has lost the most hit points."

2. Monsters don't like disadvantage. Note that even before moving the monster first determines its focus, so if it's already within range to perform the attack, it wouldn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that he wouldn't move into "melee range" as in adjacent. He will only move as close as he needs to in order to hit his focus. If he was already adjacent, as stated above, he would move away from the focus to avoid disadvantage.

As far as the heal, I am going to assume the target would be determined by lowest initiative or players choice. I'm guessing they were different demons, so they ought to have different initiatives unless one was elite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ponzini
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.