Subject: Displaced Caliphate Capital during Polarization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Sellmer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools

Suppose that a Caliphate had been declared and was composed of the countries: Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen. Where the Caliphate Capital was Sudan.

Note that the adjacency looks like this: Sudan -- Somalia -- Yemen.

Now during the end of turn Polarization, let's say that both Sudan and Somalia were improved to Good governance. According to rule 11.1.7 these shifts occur simultaneously.

So would I be correct in assuming that the Caliphate Capital could be displace to Yemen and that this would count as two displacements and thus would result in +2 prestige and -2 funding.

As a further note. Suppose for argument that Egypt (which is adjacent to Sudan) was shifted to Islamist Rule during Polarization. In that case I assume that the capital could be displaced there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question Curt!

You are correct, that all shifts would occur simultaneously, and per the second paragraph of 11.1.7, "...before placing or displacing any new markers due to Convergence (11.1.8)."

The intent is that all of these adjustments would occur at the same time and the Prestige and Funding impacts would be minimized as a result. In your described scenario, place the capital in Egypt if it went IR, otherwise in Yemen. The net change to Prestige and Funding would be +1 / -1 in either case, as the movement occurs simultaneously. Even though Yemen and Sudan are not adjacent, in the situation of simultaneous change, the Caliphate Capital would move from Sudan through Somalia to Yemen instantaneously, thus only 1 charge for a change would occur.

In the next edition of the rules and FAQ, we will clarify this with an example...probably yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Sellmer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I guess a simpler interpretation would limit the displacement to only those eligible countries that are adjacent to the original capital. Both those that were previous caliphate members and those that were degraded to Islamist Rule during polarization.

Given this interpretation. The first example in the original post would result in the capital being removed.

The second example where Egypt was degraded to Islamist Rule would result in the capital being displaced to Egypt.

Thougts?

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent interpretation Curt. Simple and to the point based on the rules as written. Lets go with this. It will be included in the next update of the FAQ.

I hope you are enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read this thread again, I was not very clear in my response. Let me restate the question and official answer as it will appear in a future edition of the FAQ.

11.1.7 Polarization

Q. Suppose that a Caliphate had been declared and was composed of the countries: Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen, where the Caliphate Capital was Sudan and the adjacency looks like this: Sudan -- Somalia -- Yemen.

Now during the end of turn Polarization, let's say that both Sudan and Somalia were improved to Good Governance. According to rule 11.1.7 these shifts occur simultaneously.

So would the Caliphate Capital could be displaced to Yemen or would it be removed (11.3.8.2)?

Now suppose for argument that Egypt (which is adjacent to Sudan) was shifted to Islamist Rule during Polarization. In that case would the Capital be displaced to Egypt instead?

A. Displacement will only occur to those eligible countries (11.3.8.1) that are adjacent to the original Capital, both those that were previous Caliphate members and those that were changed to Caliphate status during Polarization.

Thus in the first example where both Sudan and Somalia left Caliphate status, the Capital would be removed since the only remaining Caliphate Country Yemen is not adjacent to Sudan. In the second example where Egypt was degraded to Islamist Rule at the same time, the Capital would be displaced to Egypt since it is adjacent to Sudan at the moment of adjudication.

Let me know if there is anything unclear about this explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.