Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Mini or Not just posted to it's site a game overview for Rising Sun.

http://cmon.com/news/rising-sun-game-overview

There's a new image of (part of) the game board and some of the smaller supplemental boards.

It also goes into some detail on what the game is about, some of the inspirations, and the types of things you'll be doing (including some details on politics and battles). It might not be new info to all, but hopefully it helps give others a better sense of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: the boards are spelled out as prototype components in the caption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the sound of the Teaparty phase. Seems like it has some similarities to the good ol' classic Dune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised thought this would be Bloodrage with some twists but this is nothing like Bloodrage at all. Didn't expect it to have an auction mechanic for the battles but sounds pretty neat looking forward to more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nelstead
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the board is a prototype (just look at that tape holding the paper together), that (potentially) placeholder art looks like it's heading in a good direction for me with that classic Japanese landscape/map artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
Surprised thought this would be Bloodrage with some twists but this is nothing like Bloodrage at all. Didn't expect it to have an auction mechanic for the battles but sounds pretty neat looking forward to more details.

Really? The only concrete fact we knew was that this would feature diplomacy/negotiation heavily, and those are pretty much non-existent in BR! Also, all of his games have been pretty big departures from his previous ones. I think this sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

Really? The only concrete fact we knew was that this would feature diplomacy/negotiation heavily, and those are pretty much non-existent in BR! Also, all of his games have been pretty big departures from his previous ones. I think this sounds great!

Its been touted as the blood rage successor by Lang for the last year, your right though cant imagine where I would get that from.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

Its been touted as the blood rage successor by Lang for the last year, your right though cant imagine where I would get that from.....
I think you may have misunderstood. It was a successor to BR in the sense that it is a another mythology-based game. Lang has been pretty clear that gameplay-wise it would be different, taking influence from Diplomacy (where BR took influence from Risk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood. It was a successor to BR in the sense that it is a another mythology-based game. Lang has been pretty clear that gameplay-wise it would be different, taking influence from Diplomacy (where BR took influence from Risk).

Yup, Lang has been pretty clear that Rising Sun is not in the Blood Rage lineage... that Diplomacy is more Rising Sun's spiritual ancestor, while Chaos in the Old World was Blood Rage's spiritual ancestor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

Yup, Lang has been pretty clear that Rising Sun is not in the Blood Rage lineage... that Diplomacy is more Rising Sun's spiritual ancestor, while Chaos in the Old World was Blood Rage's spiritual ancestor.

Alot of people are going to have a rude awakening. For thinking this is gonna be like Blood Rage. Just becouse Eric said its a spiritual successor of Blood Rage. Diplomacy is a harsh game. It makes grown ass men cry playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA Wolfe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saigetsu wrote:

Alot of people are going to have a rude awakening. For thinking this is gonna be like Blood Rage. Just becouse Eric said its a spiritual successor of Blood Rage. Diplomacy is a harsh game. It makes grown ass men cry playing it.

I *need* this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed a lot of Lang's games. He might be my favorite designer. I love Japanese themes. This game looks to be on the scope of Blood Rage with respect to minis, art, and good mechanics (I trust Lang and the CMON development team). So why is my excitement level for this game waning? I should be over the moon and giddy that the gang is back together to deliver another spectacular game. Yet, I have reservations it will live up to the hype. Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest, and The Others are so darn good! I'm afraid to expect one more great one. LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Diplomacy, eh?
So....be careful to just play it with your enemies, so when you stab them in the back after 5 hours of playtime you won't be upset when they never talk to you again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Like Blood Rage, it will be a very social game with a lot of laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max_Dicepirates wrote:
Saigetsu wrote:

I *need* this game.

This thread has inspired me to sign up for some online games of diplomacy. They have no idea what's about to hit them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised people on here are just figuring out this is not Blood Rage again. The description on the game page, which has been there for a while, says:
Quote:
Rising Sun is a spiritual successor in the same mythic big box series as Blood Rage: same designer, same artist, same studio and same sculptors.

Rising Sun is a game about honor, negotiation and warfare in a feudal Japan where the ancient gods (kami) have returned to rebuild the empire.

Whereas the distant ancestor of Blood Rage was Risk, Rising Sun claims Diplomacy as its distant ancestor. Tackle negotiations, alliances and war. Capture hostages and commit seppuku. The game features an honor track, in which you can rise and fall based on your behavior.
He has also said pretty much the same thing in the interviews. You have to be pretty out of the loop to miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem is people keep reading "spiritual successor" as "sequel / reimplementation", when it means "kinda sorta vaguely inspired by".

From TV Tropes:

Quote:
A Spiritual Successor is a type of sequel that is not part of the same world or story as its predecessor, but is nonetheless considered to be a successor because it's made by the same creators; shares common themes, styles, or elements; or, most likely, both. In other words, it's a sequel "in spirit".

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A spiritual successor,[1][2] sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the blind bidding mechanic; it fells a lot like the old classic Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa,....

Placing the Koku where you think it will help you most,.... will you raise more forces? hire an assasin, hire ronin,... etc.

While I'm sure that it is much different in application; I like this type of mechanic,..... it sounds like you may find out about a challenge in a particular territory; then each player present completes that bidding,.... then one person is the winner simply based on how many units that they have present after that process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

But I'd argue that this is a lot more similar to Chaos in the Old World than Blood Rage was. And I'm grateful for that, as I loved CitOW but wanted a game that played 6 with a slightly quicker pace and slightly less opaque.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
I like the blind bidding mechanic; it fells a lot like the old classic Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa,...

I was thinking the same thing too... been ages since I have played that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 It sounds very much like that - a system I quite liked, however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping this game will work with three people and doesn't require several plays to get the full experience of it.

Blood Rage is a top 10 game for me but I haven't purchased it because it does require several plays with the same group to get most of the enjoyment.

My groups tend to be very inconsistent since I mainly play through meetups, so I hope Rising Sun can be a game where a new player get within the scope of the game as soon as they are in. If it requires several games for them to get "into" it like Blood Rage or Cosmic Encounter, I might have to pass on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really sounds a lot like a re-skin or re-implementation of DUNE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
This really sounds a lot like a re-skin or re-implementation of DUNE.

Yeah, I got that impression from the overview, too. From a high level, it sounds like it has a lot of the flow of Dune, but with redesigned mechanics for the modern era. Certainly more Dune than Diplomacy, from what they've said, which sounds like a good thing to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Cry Havoc already borrow Dune's combat resolution mechanic ?
This one also seems very similar (on the combat resolution aspect only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.