Popular Tags: [View All]
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi, everyone I have a question to make regarding the AVP Horrorclix minis. I've been playing DOOM - The boardgame with some friends of mine for a long time and I was always thinking if we could have some AVP variant. We had the marines, what we lacked were Alien and Predator minis.

A few days ago I saw the horrorclix sets that became available and I thought of using these. They are very beautifully painted and I like very much the level of detail. Having these would give us the opportunity to play awesome 3 player Aliens vs Predator vs Marines games using the DOOM rules. However I think I read somewhere here in the Geek that the Clix minis are too large for DOOM's tiles. Is this true? Is the difference that big that it becomes impossible to play with them or are they just marginally bigger than DOOM's figures?

If their bases are indeed that much bigger, is there a way to remove them and apply them new, smaller ones? Since I won't be using them for any Horrorclix games I won't mind losing the "Clix" part. However, even if it is possible where will I be able to find empty bases to use?

Please let me know of anything that may be useful. Thank you all in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Starkweather-Jones
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The models are really great. I have two complete sets now (includiong 2 ALien Queens).

If the Clix are too big, just hack them off their bases and glue them to quarters or tiddly-winx. I have seen recommendations to put them in the freezer first so the contact glue becomes brittle. In my experience, they come off pretty easily with a sharp knife.

I keep meaning to buy the Doom game but hae not got around to it. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salokin Bayrat
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom actually works much better with Star Wars Minis due to the size of the Horrorclix base. Of course that means you can use Star Wars or D&D minis for your purposes too.

As for using the clix figs, a safety razor will slice most off their base and leave "feet" to glue to smaller base that would work with Doom terrain.

If you can find small plastic bingo markers, the kind that stack and have some texture, those make great re-bases for clix figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using Horrorclix AVP minis on DOOM terrain. Is it possib
I've just submitted a series of images detailing how AvP HorrorClix and Doom: The Boardgame mix.

First, a basic top-down image. You can see that the base for the HorrorClix pieces doesn't really fit on the board. You can kind of get away with using them as a 1x1 piece if you're only going to be putting Doom pieces beside them, but as you can see in the next image...

...given the scale of the pieces, it might actually make more sense for them to be 2x2 pieces. If you go ahead and stick with 1x1 on a Doom board, it gets crowded when two HorrorClix pieces are side-by-side:

I've solved this by making a (dodgy) little platform that allows the bases to overlap.

It's not perfect, but I think it's better than hacking off the base and gluing them to something else. Given more time and care, I'm sure a set of nice solid "risers" could be used to allow the pieces to be treated as 1x1 on the Doom board.

Now, the Queen:

The Queen is a perfect 3x3 on the Doom board. This does, of course, affect her mechanics. She's normally 2x2, meaning that 12 1x1s can engage her in melee. If you keep the small characters 1x1 and make the Queen 3x3 you can now have 16 things beating up on her.

The Egg Base, however, really doesn't fit. It's something like 5x8, instead of 3x5 or 3x6. Here's another angle:

You can shoe-horn it into the largest room (and where else would it be?), but fighting it is going to be tough. Placed in the center of the room, facing the door, you can barely get in the room. Placed across the back, you can really only fight one side.

So, there you go. Personally, I think that treating the basic Aliens as 2x2 and the Queen as 3x3 makes them fit. Having Predators as 2x2 doesn't seem right. Either way, there are only three marines in a Doom set, which I would think is at least a third the number you would want. You're probably better off printing out your own maps that fit the HorrorClix pieces and finding another source for marines.

(Edit: Yup, sure enough, three images got rejected. I managed to scrape the originals off the servers and upload them to my gallery. I've re-linked them to there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using Horrorclix AVP minis on DOOM terrain. Is it possib
Wow! I couldn't get a more thorough response on my question! Thank you very much Chris, it was exactly what I wanted to know!

For now I am thinking of removing their bases and putting new, 25mm ones on them but I am still not sure on the idea... (Even though I haven't played any Horror Clix games I'd like to have that option available as well)

Any way, once again thanks to all who answered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salokin Bayrat
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a safety razor and shave the figs off the clix base.

You can glue them to any base you want at that point.

Then, if you ever want to play the clix rules, you have options:

Save the bases and just click them off map. Horror (and hero)clix do not have arcs of fire, fronts or backs.

You could use double stick tape (velcro, poster putty, whatever) and stick your new 25mm base to the clix base.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.