Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I myself, always have a healthy does of cynicism when approaching games. Maybe "cynicism" is too strong a word. I am excited about upcoming titles but I think I try to go into them with realistic expectations. It's okay to be excited, dream big, and even fan the flames of hype if you are a designer/publisher to some degree but I think this inevitably cause a disconnect in some people's enjoyment.

For instance, my friends told me that a show on TV called "The Wire" was the best thing ever created. It was supposed to be so good that people would not accept phone calls and would refuse to answer the door. My friends begged me to watch it and handed over their DVDs collection of "The Wire". I watched it, and although it was a good show, I felt it did not live up to the hype. I think I got caught up in thinking it was going to be life changing and when it wasn't it was a bit of a let down. Conversely, if they had just said, "this show is pretty good", I think I would have completed watching it with a much more positive impression.

Again, this is just my personal opinion of "hype". What are your thoughts on "hype".

P.S. - I personally think Scythe lived up to a lot of the hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People with products to sell hype them to the best of their ability. This is not news, it's a fundamental principle of business. The real problem is crowdfunding, which is structured around providing customers with incentives to pitch in and help with the marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hype = sales, so publishers and designers always want to stir some up. Whether the game merits the hype is irrelevant. The result is as expected, good games are found among hyped games at about the same rate as overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I think that the definition of hype is more or less the creation of false expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I subscribe to The Simpsons movie philosophy. The Simpsons movie was a bit hit and a lot of people enjoyed it. But few people would call it their favourite film ever. Because the jokes were too varied, trying to accommodate people with different tastes in humor, rather than nailing it for a select audience.

That's what I feel a lot of hyped games are. So I go in expecting an enjoyable experience, but probably not the best I've ever had. (But hey, sometimes I get surprised.)

On the other hand, niche stuff with little fanfare (for me this year, Gods War and Giga-Robo!), I get ridiculously hyped for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I think that the definition of hype is more or less the creation of false expectations.

With online dictionaries readily available, it seems pointless to discuss definitions for common words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

With online dictionaries readily available, it seems pointless to discuss definitions for common words.

Could you define discuss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Hype can put a damper on a game/movie/ video game/book because you go into it expecting more than what it brings to the table.

Hype can be very deserved, as we expect big things from Eric Lang(Rising Sun)after Blood Rage was such a huge hit and he said it would be a similar(but different) game.

Hype in the board game world is weird. People will play a game once and hype it up to extremes and find out after a few plays the game is not as good as they felt it was after getting a full feel for the game. Using your example of Scythe, the game was hyped as much as a game can be hyped. I know several of my gamer friends/acquaintances that hyped up Scythe up so much after one play and later after several plays dislike the game to the point that they don't seem to want to play the game anymore. Look at how often people rate games on BGG a 10 with a comment like:"Tried the game tonight for the first time, amazing!" or"Beautiful artwork and components, can't wait to play this one."For me the Scythe hype probably led to me being more disappointed in the game that I would be if it weren't hyped. For a hobby like board gaming hype is really not good to follow in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I though I read somewhere that Rising Sun is the "Spiritual Successor" to Blood Rage. People still love Blood Rage and if this is just a better version of it I'm sure that isn't a bad thing right?

Cornerstone is designed with someone who has a shorter track record but still has put out decent games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
What are your thoughts on "hype".

I think that by prominently featuring the title of 2 hyped games in your thread title, you are (inadvertently?) increasing the hype of those 2 games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
I subscribe to The Simpsons movie philosophy. The Simpsons movie was a bit hit and a lot of people enjoyed it. But few people would call it their favourite film ever. Because the jokes were too varied, trying to accommodate people with different tastes in humor, rather than nailing it for a select audience.

That's what I feel a lot of hyped games are. So I go in expecting an enjoyable experience, but probably not the best I've ever had. (But hey, sometimes I get surprised.)

On the other hand, niche stuff with little fanfare (for me this year, Gods War and Giga-Robo!), I get ridiculously hyped for.

I'm right there with you buddy. I am waiting for my copy of Gods Wars and Giga-Robo also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:
What are your thoughts on "hype".

I think that by prominently featuring the title of 2 hyped games in your thread title, you are (inadvertently?) increasing the hype of those 2 games...

Yeah duly noted, but it is inadvertent. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on the topic of "hype" as it relates to the board game hobby and not to add to the swirling inferno of hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean Charterstone? Yes, I'm buying into the hype.

The only thing I can think of that lived up to it's hype was Game of Thrones. I didn't see it until a Directv rep sold me on "Don't get attached to any of the characters." Watched the first episode and was immediately hooked. First draw drop (of many) was when
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ned Stark was beheaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think hype is necessarily bad for the consumer, but it depends on the source. External hype, which comes outside sources/other people telling you something is great, will lead to expectations that are built on their tastes, not yours. Internal hype, which comes from your personal knowledge of how the product suits your wants/needs, allows you to feel justifiable expectations. Both external/internal hype is seductive, because both create excitement, and feeling excitement is fun! External hype is even better at it, because you don't need to think, you just need to participate.

In my (relatively) short time in the gaming world, I admit I've fallen for external hype a few times... sometimes I ended up liking the game, sometimes not. But whenever I've been internally hyped for something--I've read the rules, I've watched videos, and can see how the game suits me to a tee--I haven't been disappointed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Just cause something is awesome doesn't mean it'll be awesome for everyone.

You still have to cut through information to figire out what you like.

Same as every other thing in life ever. I can see how struggling with this would make life suck, but reading about boardgames on the internet isn't a special snowflake.

Doesn't mean you can't get excited about things with like minded people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
Rising Sun sounds nice, personally won't be backing it as I feel it's a £50 game made more expensive by (nice looking) models that don't affect the game play and I wouldn't be able to paint, while at the same time being 3 players or more.

Depends if it's a game that you'll enjoy really as to me very few games are worth owning, I got caught up in the hype for epic card game and that was a flop, that said Gloomhaven has turned out to be really good and I missed that one and didn't do a pre-order either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Hype of games like what and what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consumers create the hype, and its up to each person to decide how much hype they want to buy into

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
darthhugo wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Could you define discuss?

Only if you define define.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
No! Rising Sun is going to be the best game ever!!! It's going to create world peace and cure cancer! We shall all bow down to and be saved for it is the salvation of all mankind!

Hallelujah!!!

What's Cornerstone? Is it better than Rising Sun?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
I myself, always have a healthy does of cynicism when approaching games. Maybe "cynicism" is too strong a word. I am excited about upcoming titles but I think I try to go into them with realistic expectations. It's okay to be excited, dream big, and even fan the flames of hype if you are a designer/publisher to some degree but I think this inevitably cause a disconnect in some people's enjoyment.

For instance, my friends told me that a show on TV called "The Wire" was the best thing ever created. It was supposed to be so good that people would not accept phone calls and would refuse to answer the door. My friends begged me to watch it and handed over their DVDs collection of "The Wire". I watched it, and although it was a good show, I felt it did not live up to the hype. I think I got caught up in thinking it was going to be life changing and when it wasn't it was a bit of a let down. Conversely, if they had just said, "this show is pretty good", I think I would have completed watching it with a much more positive impression.

Again, this is just my personal opinion of "hype". What are your thoughts on "hype".

P.S. - I personally think Scythe lived up to a lot of the hype.

Yep I agree with your premise. Hyping something really only leaves downside for me. At best it can match expectations, which is pretty bloody hard to do with the amounts of hyping stuff gets these days.

Like your Wire example. I think it's an excellent show, but if I'd been sold on it being life changing, I would have been disappointed. I was sold on it was a great show and came out the other side thinking it is an great/excellent show and I can see why others really enjoy it also. By not over hyping it, it was able to live up to my expectations and I only have great thoughts about the show. If it had been majorly hyped as life changing, I'd now be disappointed.

Hype may get initial sales, but I reckon it can hurt products in the longer run, as people turn off the product because it doesn't meet expectations. Sadly most entertainment mediums aren't really concerned about long term sales and initial sales is exactly what they are chasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
or instance, my friends told me that a show on TV called "The Wire" was the best thing ever created.

Your friends have great taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that what hype is? The is a reason I try to hold a 3 year old game rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
No! Rising Sun is going to be the best game ever!!! It's going to create world peace* and cure cancer**! We shall all bow down to and be saved for it is the salvation of all mankind***!

*World Peace is a Kickstarter exclusive for Overlord pledge backers. This will not be made available at retail.
**Cancer cure expansion available as an optional add-on purchase
***Salvation of all Mankind is a stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.