United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In the World Crokinole Championship Rules it says:

WCC wrote:
An out-of-bounds disc that re-enters the playing surface must be removed from play. Any discs on the playing surface that were moved by the re-entering disc will remain in their new position and any 20’s made will count.

So the back disc should be considered in-play, right? It was just bumped and should be played where it lays...not so fast.

WWC wrote:
If a disc touches or crosses the outer line but does not leave the raised playing surface and returns under its own momentum to end up inside the outer line, it will be considered still in play. (Emphasis mine)

The disc did not, and would not (in this case), have returned of its own momentum.

So the question is, was the black disc technically out-of-bounds before the out-of-bounds white disc ever hit it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost want to see frame by frame of the flying white disk just before and after it hits the black disk.

Your question boils down to whether the black disk left play.

The flying white disk is just super cool if it was planned to happen that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that as soon as a disc in play touches the outer ring it is considered out of play, barring it having some weird spinning that makes it touch the line and come back into play.

His hand gets in the way of the actual rebound, but you can see that the black disc had almost completely crossed the outer line before being hit back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note, the full text rules may change your the answer, as it includes the title of the rule.

http://www.worldcrokinole.com/thegame.html
Quote:

Damage Rule
An out-of-bounds disc that re-enters the playing surface must be removed from play. Any discs on the playing surface that were moved by the re-entering disc will remain in their new position and any 20’s made will count.

The Spinning Disc Rule
If a disc touches or crosses the outer line but does not leave the raised playing surface and returns under its own momentum to end up inside the outer line, it will be considered still in play.

Those in turn were derived from rules that came before, probably from here:
http://www.nationalcrokinoleassociation.com/resources/NCA%20...
(typos are from the site, not my fault, probably OCR errors)
Quote:

8) Other
a) Granular shuffleboard wax shall be placed in the ditch so that players may rub their disc in the wax pnor to shooting. lt may be applied to the playing surface by tournament officials (and only by tournament officials), if in their opinion, conditions warrant it. No other tubricant is allowed.
b) lf time runs out in a timed match, one additional shot will be allowed, if necessary, to equatize the number of shots.
c) lf a disc touches or crosses the outer boundary line it is out.of-play. (subject to Be)
d) lf a disc is out-of-play, it shall be placed in the ditch before the next player's turn, and must remain there until the end of the round.
e) The Spinning Disc Rute - lf a disc touches or crosses the outer boundary line and does not strike anything other than the playing surface while touching or across the outer boundary line, and returns under its own momentum to end up within thJ outer boundary line, it wiil be considered still in play.
f) The Damage Stays Rute ' lf a disc touches or crosses the outer boundary line, strikes the backboard and/or out-of-play discs, then re-enters the playing surface, this disc is oulof-play, but the altered position of any discs struck shall remain and any 20'j made shall count.(except for an out-of-play disc)

The expanded text may help figure out how this one resolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8.f for sure settles it then, the black disc at least touches the outer line, struck the out-of-play white disc, then re-entered the playing surface, thus making it out-of-play.

It's interesting to note though, that if the white disc had struck the black disc before the black disc touched the outer line and pushed it back toward the middle then the black disc would still be considered to be in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
If it was during a tournament it would depend on what rules the tournament was using, which may or may not have been the same as the ones listed above. If it wasn't in a tournament I'd guess most people would leave it in play based on coolness of the shot if nothing else. I know the disc would stay in if it happened on my board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would question if most people would even be able to realize exactly what happened as it was so quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
So the question is, was the black disc technically out-of-bounds before the out-of-bounds white disc ever hit it?
Yes, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.