Subject: Just caught the bug, help me fill in the gaps! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I just caught the board gaming bug. So far I'm having a great time playing everything I've been missing out on for a while. I plan to really take my time playing what I currently have (since I jumped in head-first and bought quite a lot) but I know I have gaps to fill and when I go to buy I want to be informed

Games I own:
Hive Pocket - Both my wife and I enjoy it. Very quick and portable
Hanabi - The first "designer" game I purchased in the hopes my wife would like the cooperative aspect. She does. She requests this game more than any others so far.
Pandemic - Another great game. Time will tell if we continue to get it to the table but we both like it.
Dominion - Haven't played it yet. looking forward to it.
7 wonders - Same as Dominion, waiting for 3 or more to play this one.
Smallworld - I really enjoy the area control. Wife likes it ok, but seemed a little too daunting to her at first. She's fine with it now but it doesn't get the play that others will.
Catan - Man I really missed out not playing this growing up. Probably my favorite that I own so far. I really like the modular board (every game is so different).

Games I've played:
Race for the Galaxy - I really like it. Wish there was more interaction. Feels like solitaire mostly, but I liked how you got to choose the phases to play, seemed novel to me. Tableau building is a fun mechanic for me it appears as well. I really doubt my wife would get the same enjoyment out of the theme, though.
Ticket to Ride - We both liked our first playthrough and we plan to do a few more while borrowing the game. Seems like there isn't as much interaction with only 2 players. Probably a game I'll buy to play with newer players with 3+
Munchkin - Really liked the silliness. Even my wife liked it. Doubt we'd play it very often but we'll probably eventually buy it.
The Resistance - Had a great time playing this one. In no rush to buy it, but I think we're definitely missing a party game.

So, what mechanics or must owns am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!!

Roll for the Galaxy has a very similar theme, with tableau building, as Race for the Galaxy, but uses dice and tiles instead of cards. I prefer it to Race. Some say it's lighter on strategy, I feel like it's just less complex.

Kill the Overlord is our go-to party game, since we're not really big on bluffing/lying/social deduction games.

A worker placement game would probably be a good thing to try. Viticulture is my favorite, but a bit heavier. I'm sure others will recommend worker placement games that they like.

Kingdom Builder could be a good next step from Catan. Modular board, building settlements on terrain hexes. But no resource generation or trading. Since the cards that tell you how you score are random, too, it has a lot of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Good on you for taking your time first getting better acquainted with what you have before going out to buy too much!

Once you do go out to extend your collection, I'd recommend getting at least one auction games. Personal recommendations for Ra, or Yspahan. (Sadly it's a bit in the nature of things that auction games don't really work well with two players.)

For a party game, have a look at Dixit (the original has the best art, imho).

Then what's really missing is something a bit meatier, maybe something worker placement or things in that direction. Endless choices here, but one which I'm personally very fond of, both for 2-players and for more, would be Fresco; if you play just the base game without any of its included modules, complexity remains pretty low, for a very pure experience. Then when you're comfortable with that, you can ramp up complexity by including 1, 2 or all 3 of its optional modules.
Or a step heavier still, working for 2 players all the way up to 6 (which is very rare, and so worth having for that reason alone) is the absolutely excellent Keyflower. Given that Smallworld seemed daunting, I'd say that that's definitely something for the long run, rather than for soon.

Oh, and I'll echo the above recommendation for Kingdom Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

I'm pretty new here, too. One game that has been enjoyed by everybody I've played with is Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's quite unique, not like anything else out there really. It's a fairly simple game and it works fine for 2, but also accommodates up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - and welcome to BGG!

The Dice Tower were an invaluable source of information when I was getting into the hobby, so I'd recommend checking out their YouTube channel/podcast if you haven't already. However, this video might be a good place to start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankRodney
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Splat_baseball51 wrote:

I'm not sure if you mean that you haven't played 7 Wonders yet, just like Dominion, or that, like with Dominion, you are waiting for 3 or more players to play. If it happens to be the latter, I encourage you to try Dominion with 2 players; in my opinion it really excels as a 2 player game, though 3 and 4 are also fun. My apologies if I just misinterpreted.

That said, a recent (really cheap) purchase of mine was Castles of Burgundy: the Card Game. It's a ton of fun, and might give you a chance to try out something new with a low price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Hey - and welcome to BGG!

The Dice Tower were an invaluable source of information when I was getting into the hobby, so I'd recommend checking out their YouTube channel/podcast if you haven't already. However, this video might be a good place to start!

I blame some of my enthusiasm on the dice tower videos...those guys can make anything sound fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA Wolfe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is one of my fav worker placement games. It's more fun with more players and the expansion, imo, but very dobable with 2 players. It's a lite worker placement game, too. You can sabotage other players, which is why most of my gaming group likes it. But I've read on here where people will remove those intrigue cards and it plays fine without them.

I'm also a fan of Imperial Settlers. It's a card drafting game. I guess that's how to describe it. (I'm pretty new to board gaming, too, so I haven't gotten down all the nomenclature yet.) But it's been fun each time I've played it with different groups.

Star Realms is a pretty fun, lite, and quick deck building game. My core group also meets for dinner and tv, not just board gaming, so if there's 30 minutes before dinner, someone might break out this, or Hero Realms to burn up some time.

If you liked Catan, you can play Catan on Crack, it's what I call Terra Mystica. A real gamer may come and point out how I'm mixing genres, I don't think I am, but I feel like TM is the grown up version of Catan. whistle

And I love some Dudes on a Map games and co-op/ semi co-op dungeon crawler games.

Scythe and Runebound and Descent are my current favs in those areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Run! Don't look back no matter what you hear, just keep running.

Oh and I wasn't here. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled - great co-op card game in the vein of Hanabi. Hard to beat. Also, highly recommend the expansion to go along with it, especially for 2 players.

Hero Realms - great two-player (or up to 4) deckbuilder. You can also try Star Realms for a more portable version / different theme.

7 Wonders Duel - both my gf and I are pretty lukewarm on original 7 Wonders, but this 2-player only version is aces.

Sushi Go! or Sushi Go Party! - a great card drafting game that works well with 2-8 players

Dixit - great party game with beautiful cards

Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Mysterium, Burgle Bros. - all great co-op games since your wife likes that aspect

Welcome to the obsession... I mean, hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splat_baseball51 wrote:
Hey guys,

I just caught the board gaming bug. So far I'm having a great time playing everything I've been missing out on for a while. I plan to really take my time playing what I currently have (since I jumped in head-first and bought quite a lot) but I know I have gaps to fill and when I go to buy I want to be informed

Games I own:
Hive Pocket - Both my wife and I enjoy it. Very quick and portable
Hanabi - The first "designer" game I purchased in the hopes my wife would like the cooperative aspect. She does. She requests this game more than any others so far.
Pandemic - Another great game. Time will tell if we continue to get it to the table but we both like it.
Smallworld - I really enjoy the area control. Wife likes it ok, but seemed a little too daunting to her at first. She's fine with it now but it doesn't get the play that others will.
Catan - Man I really missed out not playing this growing up. Probably my favorite that I own so far. I really like the modular board (every game is so different).

Games I've played:
Race for the Galaxy - I really like it. Wish there was more interaction. Feels like solitaire mostly, but I liked how you got to choose the phases to play, seemed novel to me. Tableau building is a fun mechanic for me it appears as well. I really doubt my wife would get the same enjoyment out of the theme, though.
Ticket to Ride - We both liked our first playthrough and we plan to do a few more while borrowing the game. Seems like there isn't as much interaction with only 2 players. Probably a game I'll buy to play with newer players with 3+
Munchkin - Really liked the silliness. Even my wife liked it. Doubt we'd play it very often but we'll probably eventually buy it.
The Resistance - Had a great time playing this one. In no rush to buy it, but I think we're definitely missing a party game.

So, what mechanics or must owns am I missing?

You've got a pretty good list there, so I will only suggest a couple little things here.

Agricola is my favorite worker placement game. Can be a bit tough and unforgiving though. If you want something without the stress of feeding your family (which can lead to losing points), then Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a really great 2-player only version. Much easier than the full one, but it is player limited.

Codenames - if you are like me, you want to share your love of board games with others. Codenames is the easiest party game I have found to do that. I started with 4 players at Christmas two years ago, and we taught them how to play. The game grew one person at a time until it was 8 people and my parents asked me to leave the copy at the house when my fiancee and I had to leave. I love the Resistance too, but in my groups it is harder to get to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
lampeter wrote:
Splat_baseball51 wrote:

I'm not sure if you mean that you haven't played 7 Wonders yet, just like Dominion, or that, like with Dominion, you are waiting for 3 or more players to play. If it happens to be the latter, I encourage you to try Dominion with 2 players; in my opinion it really excels as a 2 player game, though 3 and 4 are also fun. My apologies if I just misinterpreted.

That said, a recent (really cheap) purchase of mine was Castles of Burgundy: the Card Game. It's a ton of fun, and might give you a chance to try out something new with a low price point.

Yea I'm not waiting on 3 or 4 for dominion, just 7 wonders. I'll tackle dominion with some of my MTG friends before i force it on my wife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!
I think an important thing to point out is that recommendations are always very subjective, we can both like tile laying games overall but hate a specific tile laying game for entirely different reasons than one another.

If you have a FLGS, or gaming cafe near you that keeps a good selection of games I suggest making good use of it before taking the plunge and buying many of them. Unless you have a ton of disposable income

That being said:
+1 to Imperial Settlers, especially since it sounds like you might be playing things at 2p a lot and IS plays best with 2.

+1 to Flash Point: Fire Rescue as well, it's a great co-op that you aren't always going to win especially on the harder set ups. Plays great at all player counts

Elder Sign is another fun co-op that is light, a little heavy on dice rolling (and therefore luck) but we have still played this a lot.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fantastic tile laying/ set collection game that has a fun economic element to it that creates some great depth (I'm not sure if the master builder mechanic is technically bidding or auctioning or what to call it but it's fun)

For some heavier games I would suggest:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar It's got a lot going on in it and will take a bit to learn but we just loved having to plan out when to put workers down to pick them up in time. The gears on the board are what make it different from any other game I've played. It also works well with 2 IMO (some people disagree)

Orléans it's a great bag building/worker placement game. Again it has a fair bit going but once you learn it's good fun.

Dungeon Petz The fun theme of this deceives most about how heavy this game can be. But it's another fun worker placement with a slight twist and planning is needed to succeed.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island this could potentially scratch an itch for a heavy game because this game is very hard to win. But it's co-op so it's a nice change from competitive brain burners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Can anyone attempt to break down the mechanics that I own and the mechanics that I'm missing? I think that would ultimately help me more than random suggestions that way i can get a good smattering of games.

Also, the suggestions so far have been great! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no "must owns". There are no games or mechanisms you need. Play what you have, figure out what sorts of things you like, and research from there. Don't go by what a bunch of addicts tell you to buy. Find a store or game group and try things out. You don't need to buy a bookshelf full of games to be a board gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
There are no "must owns". There are no games or mechanisms you need. Play what you have, figure out what sorts of things you like, and research from there. Don't go by what a bunch of addicts tell you to buy. Find a store or game group and try things out. You don't need to buy a bookshelf full of games to be a board gamer.

Agreed... I don't own a game that fits every mechanic listed. I know I'm not really very interested in Campaign games, or Commodity Speculation. Until recently, though, I didn't have any Worker Placement games, and knew I wanted one.

You can see the list of all of the mechanics here, and browse the games that have those tags.

If you want to easily see how yours are categorized, you may want to try BoardgameCaddie. Put in your BGG username, have it grab your collection, then click "Show more filters." You can see what mechanics you have, and then filter to see which games fit those. (There may be a better/good way to do this within BGG, but I like how easy Boardgamecaddie is.)

And definitely try to find ways to play games without having to buy them... look for gaming groups in your area, or game stores, or try to find other BGG users you can meet up with. You can search BGG for users around your zip code, and if you're comfortable with it, can make it so other people can find you (that's in your preferences).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splat_baseball51 wrote:
Can anyone attempt to break down the mechanics that I own and the mechanics that I'm missing? I think that would ultimately help me more than random suggestions that way i can get a good smattering of games.

Also, the suggestions so far have been great! Thanks.

One key mechanic that you are missing is "worker placement", which is arguably the most popular of all euro mechanics. Popular entry level choices include Stone Age and Lords Of Waterdeep, midweight titles include classics like Agricola and Caylus and we probably shouldn't go heavier than that just yet. I'd urge you to try out one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, you should definitely get Dominion played with two. If you love that game, then there is a wealth of expansions that you should be interested in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that 7 Wonders and 7 Wonders Duel are quite different. Duel would be an excellent choice for just you and your wife - as would Patchwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venus3869 wrote:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fantastic tile laying/ set collection game that has a fun economic element to it that creates some great depth (I'm not sure if the master builder mechanic is technically bidding or auctioning or what to call it but it's fun)

I'll second this. This is actually my favourite "gateway" game (easily introduced and understood by noobs) and it has a bit more meat to it than most other gateway games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Grizzled

I was disappointed in Dominion. If you're MtG I'd recommend Ascension: Realms Unraveled. I was a casual fan of MtG when I was a teen and this has a very similar theme while not being as directly head to head. You attack the center board to gain victory points. It's also a deckbuilder like MtG or Dominion. As an added bonus it has a solo mechanic and plays equally well whether you're at 1 or 4 players.

Munchkin gets a lot of hate on this site, but I for one really like it. The game certainly has its flaws, but with the right group it's very enjoyable.

The Networks is a sandbox-y kind of game where you build up a line up of terrible TV shows, such as Cooking with Cats, to make your network the most viewed. There's some mild take that elements but it plays equally well at all player counts, including the solo variant. The cards are very much intended to be humorous and it's just all around very enjoyable and fun.

I would also mention King of Tokyo and Smash Up if you like the kind of direct conflict and take that sort of games. My group loved KoT but wasn't a fan of Smash Up.

Other games worth checking out are: The Voyages of Marco Polo, Evolution, Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, Guilds of London, and Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game. If you liked Munchkin, you'll probably love Boss Monster. Very simple game and the artwork is 8-bit video game inspired. At $20 bucks it's pretty low risk too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would advise you to join a meetup, gaming club, con, FLGS gaming event, so that you can try and play a lot of different games.

Based on those experiences you may want to by this or that game.

It will probably take about one or two years before you have a firm grasp of what you like or not among what is available nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
One key mechanic that you are missing is "worker placement", which is arguably the most popular of all euro mechanics. Popular entry level choices include Stone Age and Lords Of Waterdeep, midweight titles include classics like Agricola and Caylus and we probably shouldn't go heavier than that just yet. I'd urge you to try out one of those.

Regarding Worker Placement, if you're able to, I recommend finding a way to play Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep without buying a copy. It'll introduce you to the mechanic, and then if you like it, you can look around for a WP game that you think you'll enjoy. I learned WP on a friend's copy of Stone Age, then fell in love with Viticulture and bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenton White
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I caught the board game bug about 6 months ago! Your list of games looks very similar to some of my first purchases. I mostly play with my wife so have gravitated to two player games. Here are my suggestions -- they are all games that are pretty easy to find.

Lost Cities is probably my wife's favourite game. It plays like a two player version of solitaire. Rules are simple but the game has plenty of depth. There is a nice balance between reacting to the game and reading your opponent. Some have said this is the best two player game ever. A must add to any burgeoning collection.

7 Wonders Duel has already been mentioned. Not only is it a two player version of 7 Wonders, so easier to get to the table more often, I also think it is a better version of the game than the original. The card drafting is replaced by a mahjong-like array of cards. This leads to some very fun decisions where you take a card only to reveal a card your opponent really needs.

Patchwork combines Tetris style tile laying with very light economic engine building. It plays super smooth, is easy to teach, and always a fun 30 minutes. Cottage Garden is similar, and plays up to 4 people, so you might be tempted to get that one instead. I would resist -- in my opinion the addition of the economic engine in Patchwork makes that the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.