C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

a friend of mine is looking for a birthday present for her brother, which should be as in the title:

Medium-weight Euro game with player interaction, strategy, and potentially trading between players

The trading isn't a must, but the game shouldn't feel like multiplayer solitaire, and I also think that the rules should not be too complex.

I've been thinking:
- Concordia -- I haven't played it myself, but have heard it praised to the moon.
- Agricola -- one of my own current darlings. No trading, but nice and meaty and tense (this would be on the heavy end of what I'm looking for).
- One of the older euro classics like Ra or Tigris & Euphrates (I would need to check if they're still available in Germany, though).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago
Chinatown
Genoa

In Concordia (which is a great game) there's a lot of trading, but not between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Catan seems pretty obvious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Catan seems pretty obvious
Yeah, he already has that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HL Soh
Australia
Brunswick
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at Keyflower, Spyrium, Glass Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia is an awesome game, but player interaction is indirect at best.

Keyflower could be what you're looking for. There isn't any trading, but plenty of player interaction through bidding and being able to send workers to other players villages. Definitely not multiplayer solitaire.

Concordia's rules are very simple. Keyflower's are slightly more complex but easy to remember with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Consider Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Agricola is definitely the best game i own. The tightness and the interaction with other players (via action denial/stealing of first player token) is just so fun to me. Definitely play with the minor improvements and occupations cards after the first 'family' game without cards. the cards just adds so much to the game.

I'll also recommend getting the Z-man edition instead of the revised edition from mayfair, purely due to the number of cards that comes with it, for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find a ton of titles in the recent (January '17) thread:

The Death of the Mid-Weight Euro

... and a few opinions to filter. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as my post above, I'll add Isle of Skye because It's really easy to learn yet has some interesting decision making to maximise points as you build your village.

It also has trading of sorts. You can bid for each other's tiles and this is a great interactive element, as you put down a number of coins that you're willing to pay for the tiles in front of you - and that is hidden from your opponents. They then can bid on your tiles to buy one without knowing how much you've bid for your own tile.

Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would suggest Caverna over Agricola.

You could consider Through the Ages. It's a bit in the heavier side, but not too bad. Decent number of player interactions, through miltary actions, pacts, wars, bidding for new territory, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:

No, really. Consider it. Trading is a tiny portion of the game but there is definite interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
darkoctavius wrote:

You could consider Through the Ages. It's a bit in the heavier side, but not too bad. Decent number of player interactions, through miltary actions, pacts, wars, bidding for new territory, etc.

What do you mean A BIT on the heavier side - it is one of the heaviest board games, which takes 1h20min per player.It is OK only with 2 or max 3 players and only if they are experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compounded is great for all of that. If you play with the advance cards, that two people can build, it makes it even more so. My wife really enjoys this because it is a medium weight euro, but I like it because the strategy feels very real and meaningful. You trade elements each turn, and it even works with 2 people. A very well designed game, and you don't need to have a degree in Chemistry to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
darkoctavius wrote:

What do you mean A BIT on the heavier side - it is one of the heaviest board games, which takes 1h20min per player.It is OK only with 2 or max 3 players and only if they are experienced.

Yes. Absolutely fantastic game, but terrible recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Yedo fits those criteria, and is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum: Empires
Colosseum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! thumbsup
I had already remembered Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King myself. Keyflower is also an excellent suggestion, thanks!

Funnily enough, I own Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia, but didn't think of that. It does have interaction in a similar manner as Agricola has (except the worker-placement spots don't get blocked; you can do 'bumping'), but I don't remember there being any trading between players?!
Have we overlooked something there? Anyway, I'll suggest that, too, since it is indeed a good game and not too complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
otha62 wrote:

I just remembered that this one has trading too, actually. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.