Subject: After encounter + moved to a random space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one of the card requirements in the game says after I resolve a location encounter on a space with an eldritch token, I can pay sanity for x effect. However, the location fail effect moved me to a random space. Can I still pay sanity to obtain x effect?

My guess would be depends on the wording of the card but in this case no since I'm no longer at that location. Above I'm being intentionally vague to avoid spoilers. More details below.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm referring to one of Hastur's Mystery. It says, "After an investigator on a space containing an eldritch token resolve a location encounter or research encounter, he may spend 2 sanity and gain 1 madness condition to place that eldritch token on this card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Interesting. With that wording I might be inclined to rule that getting moved disqualifies working on the Mystery.

As opposed to a wording like
After an investigator resolves an xyz type encounter on a space with blah
which would clearly still qualify even after a forced move, since the encounter's space and not the investigator's space is called.

That said, I could see the relevant space being "locked in" on deciding the encounter, much like regen blocks are locked in on rest declaration, no matter what blockers are gotten rid of during the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that it only matters where the encounter took place. And it was a space with an eldritch token.
Unfortunately I don't have any good arguments to support my ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
You can spend the Sanity and gain the Madness to place the Eldritch token on the Mystery

Reason:
- Did you resolve a location encounter or research encounter on that space?
Yes
- Are you now "post encounter" from a location that had an Eldritch token?
Yes

Therefore you have passed the triggers that allow you to move on to the final step. Spending the Sanity and gaining the madness to put the token on the card.

Thematically, the encounter you draw is something especially horrifying, which will make you lose Sanity and go Mad, but also lead to better understanding the threat that is Hastur.
Sometimes that understanding requires you to travel.... but that makes sense.

Game is very literal and I see no indication that you need to remain on the space after the encounter. Just survive the encounter with at least 2 Sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that as it's worded, you would still be able to place the token on the Mystery even if the encounter moved you away. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just something that the designers overlooked and wished they had worded it:

"After an investigator on a space containing an eldritch token resolves a location encounter or research encounter, they may spend 2 sanity and gain 1 madness condition to place an eldritch token on their space on this card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.