Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAiP6sLw5M

no more resign to avoid those signature weaknesses trick anymore... shake which i did quite a few times in my previous games...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the FAQ doesn't mention Resign at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note, however, that I'm not saying resignation still works the way it used to, necessarily, it probably doesn't (because leaving the game via a Resign action is considered elimination by resignation), but I wish FFG had made that explicitly clear in the FAQ)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
The resign 'trick' was confirmed by one of the designer (can't remember if it was Nate or Matthew) in an earlier thread, and as far as I can tell, the FAQ only covers what happens to weaknesses in case of elimination.

Edit: Found the thread: Rolands cover up....

The RR on resigning made me change my mind. No more Cover Up tricks, which is probably for the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think this quite clearly covers the old resignation trick.

The FAQ doesn't need to mention resign at all. Under Resign in the RR, it states:

"When an investigator resigns, the investigator is eliminated by resignation (see “Elimination” on page 10)."

FAQ states:

"(v1.0) Rules Reference page 10, column 1, “Elimination”
Add the following, as step 0 (i.e. before step 1): “0. For the purpose of resolving weakness cards, the game has ended for the eliminated investigator. Trigger any “when the game ends” abilities on each weakness the eliminated investigator owns that is in play. en, remove those weaknesses from the game.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was also confirmed that it was going to be fixed, and they have. I never played with it anyone. It seemed like a cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Except that, according to the Rules Reference, resigning is being eliminated and you then follow the rules for elimination (as covered in the errata):
Rules Ref p17 wrote:
When an investigator resigns, the investigator
is eliminated by resignation (see “Elimination”
on page 10.)

I think the designer has decided against his previous confirmation that the resigning trick works, so it is an actual change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
i think this quite clearly covers the old resignation trick.

The FAQ doesn't need to mention resign at all. Under Resign in the RR, it states:

"When an investigator resigns, the investigator is eliminated by resignation (see “Elimination” on page 10)."

FAQ states:

"(v1.0) Rules Reference page 10, column 1, “Elimination”
Add the following, as step 0 (i.e. before step 1): “0. For the purpose of resolving weakness cards, the game has ended for the eliminated investigator. Trigger any “when the game ends” abilities on each weakness the eliminated investigator owns that is in play. en, remove those weaknesses from the game.”

Which is why I also said:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
(Note, however, that I'm not saying resignation still works the way it used to, necessarily, it probably doesn't (because leaving the game via a Resign action is considered elimination by resignation), but I wish FFG had made that explicitly clear in the FAQ)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiftfooted wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Except that, according to the Rules Reference, resigning is being eliminated and you then follow the rules for elimination (as covered in the errata):
Rules Ref p17 wrote:
When an investigator resigns, the investigator
is eliminated by resignation (see “Elimination”
on page 10.)

I think the designer has decided against his previous confirmation that the resigning trick works, so it is an actual change.

Which is why I also said:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are both right. It's sometimes hard to convey intent in cold text.

To restate the new resign rule; resigning does not remove a weakness?

That makes sense, otherwise it's a bit too "gamey."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Remove those weaknesses from the game". How does this work?
Are they taken out of your deck, permanently? If so, do you top up your deck with a new, randomly drawn basic weakness before embarking on your next adventure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Echtalion wrote:
"Remove those weaknesses from the game". How does this work?
Are they taken out of your deck, permanently? If so, do you top up your deck with a new, randomly drawn basic weakness before embarking on your next adventure?

For Arkham Horror:TCG, when you see 'the game' in rules/ability text, it refers to just the current scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Yes, you are both right. It's sometimes hard to convey intent in cold text.

To restate the new resign rule; resigning does not remove a weakness?

That makes sense, otherwise it's a bit too "gamey."

The steps are clarified: First, resolve any "the game ends" effects of that Investigator including any Weakness, then remove all Weaknesses (and all other cards) of that Investigator from the board as per Resign, and the Weakness goes back in the "between game" Player deck (assuming it belongs there), then continue the game for any Investigators who are still in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
no more resign to avoid those signature weaknesses trick anymore.

These "at the end of the game" Weakness are really a bad idea. They have no effect in a standalone game and can be so crippling that they pretty much invalidate the Investigator for a campaign. If you draw the card late in the game, you're pretty much screwed. Why, for instance, is there a limit to the number of resources that Roland can transfer? You can't even prep for the card. If you get it within 2 turns of the end of the game there's no way you can solve it.

Bad design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
dchamp wrote:

These "at the end of the game" Weakness are really a bad idea. They have no effect in a standalone game and can be so crippling that they pretty much invalidate the Investigator for a campaign. If you draw the card late in the game, you're pretty much screwed. Why, for instance, is there a limit to the number of resources that Roland can transfer? You can't even prep for the card. If you get it within 2 turns of the end of the game there's no way you can solve it.

Bad design.

I don't entirely disagree, but a bad draw can be bad no matter what. On my last scenario playthrough I set up two +3 skill checks in a row: the first draw the autofail, the second drew -4. I would have gotten an R1 resolution without those bad draws. Instead, both investigators now have a physical trauma and lost a valuable asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
It's sometimes hard to convey intent in cold text.

Yeah, I probably should have made the facetiously sarcastic nature of my post a little clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hedgehobbit wrote:
dchamp wrote:

Bad design.

You know the card is in your deck and and can plan for it before you see it.

Leave 1 clue on the board for roland, set aside money for skids (and delsy ending the game until you pay it off), etc.

Even worst case, 1 trauma or a couple xp hardly invalidates a gator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
It was also confirmed that it was going to be fixed, and they have. I never played with it anyone. It seemed like a cheat.

True. Especially on "The midnight masks" scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.