Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

Just wanted to let you know about our new podcast covering Arkham Horror, Drawn to the Flame! We've got a couple of episodes up so far so take a listen.

iTunes and non-iTunes links over on our blog here:
http://drawntotheflamepodcast.blogspot.co.uk/

Note my audio isn't great in these first few episodes (my co-host sounds fine), we're on it and should hopefully have it sorted by the time we do our next batch of recording!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motoningennoken wrote:
Gave a listen to the first episode and it's rather well made, no complaint on the audio.

My question would be is this going to be only about cards / gameplay? I'm interested in this but I'm much more interested in lore. Is any one of you two a heavy Mythos reader?

Certainly not something we've ruled out. Our first 2 episodes (which have been split up into 4 parts) are focussed directly on cards, specifically Weapons and Allies. We have a host of future topics planned, I think we may do a couple of episodes talking about our individual favourite Investigators next.

I've read a whole bunch of the Mythos stories by Lovecraft himself, but haven't delved too deeply (wahey!) into the other Mythos writings or games really. I'll add it to the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great podcast! I really enjoyed the in depth discussion of weapons. I look forward to your episode on Allies and individual investigators.

Suggestions? Healing and Spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motoningennoken wrote:
I'm interested in this but I'm much more interested in lore. Is any one of you two a heavy Mythos reader?

There are some Lovecraft podcasts that are 100% about lore if you want to check those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
Motoningennoken wrote:
Gave a listen to the first episode and it's rather well made, no complaint on the audio.

My question would be is this going to be only about cards / gameplay? I'm interested in this but I'm much more interested in lore. Is any one of you two a heavy Mythos reader?

Certainly not something we've ruled out. Our first 2 episodes (which have been split up into 4 parts) are focussed directly on cards, specifically Weapons and Allies. We have a host of future topics planned, I think we may do a couple of episodes talking about our individual favourite Investigators next.

I've read a whole bunch of the Mythos stories by Lovecraft himself, but haven't delved too deeply (wahey!) into the other Mythos writings or games really. I'll add it to the list!

This is a "can't please everyone" issue...

I'm personally much more interested in cards and gameplay then in lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice focused discussion. Good job guys. I subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting and well implemented.

Thanks for making it available to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a listen, nice job! I'm glad to see another podcast thrown into the mix for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Gildenast
Germany
flag msg tools
Sorry, stupid question incoming: Wheres the link for the non ITunes Media File?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too rather podcast focus on gameplay then lore. Unless that lore is very specifically tied to the card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
Hello all!

Just wanted to let you know about our new podcast covering Arkham Horror, Drawn to the Flame! We've got a couple of episodes up so far so take a listen.

Note my audio isn't great in these first few episodes (my co-host sounds fine), we're on it and should hopefully have it sorted by the time we do our next batch of recording!

Subscribed.

Have a question regarding your spoiler policy:

For how long will you avoid Dunwich scenario spoilers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DerToifel wrote:
Sorry, stupid question incoming: Wheres the link for the non ITunes Media File?

If you check out the rss link on the blog that should either let you subscribe on your podcast app or take you to a feedburner page with a link to the mp3!

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
unitled wrote:
Hello all!

Subscribed.

Have a question regarding your spoiler policy:

At the moment we think we'll stick to a pack behind the most recent one (when we record). So next ones we do will have Dunwich scenario chat in, and potentially Museum ones too if Essex County is out.

I can't imagine we'll be too heavily into story spoilers mind, we'll only be chatting where it's relevant to the player cards? Depending on the podcast topic of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

At the moment we think we'll stick to a pack behind the most recent one (when we record). So next ones we do will have Dunwich scenario chat in, and potentially Museum ones too if Essex County is out.

Hmm. That's unfortunate.

Don't have the ability to play scenarios as they come out, and have only played one of the two in the deluxe box, so it sounds like you'll be spoiling stuff before I've been able to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
unitled wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Hmm. That's unfortunate.

Don't have the ability to play scenarios as they come out, and have only played one of the two in the deluxe box, so it sounds like you'll be spoiling stuff before I've been able to play them.

Fwiw we'll make it clear what we're going to be talking about and definitely intend to have some spoiler free episodes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue of spoilers in a story based game is always gonna be an issue. It's hard to please everyone. I think if you guys make sure to state what you are spoiling each episode up front though I think anything is fair game. It seems the precedent set by LOTR podcasts (which is the closest experience to this game) is that they are pretty free about spoiling player cards, but they are super guarded about spoiling the scenarios, which I think is a good stance to take.

That said I'd appreciate more conversation about the scenarios themselves. I think that sort of analysis is underserviced because everyone is so afraid to speak spoilers. Though encapsulated in a podcast with the proper warnings up front I see no reason why you guys couldn't get into the designs and player strategies for each scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
unitled wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Hmm. That's unfortunate.

Fwiw we'll make it clear what we're going to be talking about and definitely intend to have some spoiler free episodes!

I'll definitely still listen, it just won't be one of the podcasts I put on and listen to whilst doing other things, but rather I'll save episodes till I know I've played anything you may spoil.

If you could put spoiler warning details in episode descriptions that would be ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a heavy spoiler strategy discussion sometimes. An episode where you break down the strategy for a scenario or even a campaign would be a lot of fun. There is a real void in this area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey hey,

Just to let you know that episode 3 is now up of Drawn to the Flame, in which we begin our discussion of the allies of Arkham Horror.

You can find iTunes, RSS and direct links all right here:

Thank you for all your great feedback, and for taking the time to listen!

F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DAMN! I was late with posting episode 4 - so many places to remember!

So episode 4 is up, as is... episode 5!

Episode 4: we polish off our discussion of allies in the game, including a certain holy fellow who joined us in Miskatonic Museum.
http://drawntotheflamepodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/episode...

Episode 5, with sweet new audio (hopefully): Peter and I change tack and pick a single investigator to chew over. This episode: Zoey Samaras!
http://drawntotheflamepodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/episode...

We hope you like them. Check out the links for iTunes link, RSS feed and direct download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! You guys do a great job. I am looking forward to a Zoey discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the single investigator discussion. I agree that Relic Hunter is a really interesting new include for Zoey builds. Also Bandolier might make two handed weapons like Baseball Bat and Shotgun easier to play in Zoey, which is cool. I feel like she may hit my table in the near future.

I know the direction for the podcast is dictated by the host's experience with the game, but if possible I think the investigators a lot of people struggle (judging by posts here and on other boards) with are Wendy and Agnes. Those would probably be very interesting topics of conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I like the single investigator discussion. I agree that Relic Hunter is a really interesting new include for Zoey builds. Also Bandolier might make two handed weapons like Baseball Bat and Shotgun easier to play in Zoey, which is cool. I feel like she may hit my table in the near future.

I know the direction for the podcast is dictated by the host's experience with the game, but if possible I think the investigators a lot of people struggle (judging by posts here and on other boards) with are Wendy and Agnes. Those would probably be very interesting topics of conversation.

Interesting, I'm a big Agnes fan and had her earmarked for discussion on a future episode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One Card you didn't mention was Brother Xavier. I think he works well in the Zoey spellcaster build. You can have a 6 willpower Zoey with Xavier and Police Badge. Great show though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
One Card you didn't mention was Brother Xavier. I think he works well in the Zoey spellcaster build. You can have a 6 willpower Zoey with Xavier and Police Badge. Great show though.

I did run a hybrid Zoey deck a little while ago, before Xavier came out. You can find my list over here:

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/517/hybrid-zoey-1.0

Note that is tailored for a specific scenario, I think now I would do a few things differently; I don't wonder if you go 2 Shrivelling, 1 BL, 2/1 Rite of Seeking and then either a Fire Axe or Knife. Then you can probably drop the guns.

My issue is it is hard to devote many slots to support cards, exacerbating the problem with Zoey that she isn't able to include many non-combat support cards (cluing, mainly). If enemies don't come out early and quickly you're left twiddling your thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow lovely comments - thank you kindly. Agree that we can't quite cover anything.

On Agnes/Wendy - I've had lots of fun playing Wendy so I guess that's one for the list!

Anyway, I come bearing gifts: episode 6, featuring the newshound Rex Murphy, is up, and it's on all the usual places, as well as here: http://drawntotheflamepodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/episode... (where there's links to iTunes and direct download and the like). Hope you like it!

F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.