United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Three decks
1 - powers
2 & 3 - powers/scoring

Is there any general strategy in drawing from deck two or three instead of the alternate? Besides fishing for a specific card of course..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as much a question of strategy as it is of expected return.

Deck 1 contains mostly cards that help you develop by gaining cards in some way or by making your animals faster. These cards are best in the earlier stages of the game.

Deck 2 contains some (more powerful) development cards, and some cards that will score you points.

Deck 3 contains only cards that score you points, and more than the deck 2 cards do, but they depend on your game state (you need to have a certain animal in the same continent as a certain other animal, or you to have the most of an animal type, or the most advanced, etc).

So if you need to develop, take deck 1 cards. If you need points, take cards from a higher deck, keeping in mind that while deck 3 cards are worth the most points, if you don't have a lot of time you might only draw cards not worth any points for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK that makes sense. Do the icons in 2 & 3 more likely correspond to the same "levels" on the continents? It seems some icons are more rare than others. Some are very present in deck one.. I think coniferous trees, but this is mostly a "level three" icon I believe. I would have to pull the decks out and check the distribution in relation to the different continents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
OK that makes sense. Do the icons in 2 & 3 more likely correspond to the same "levels" on the continents? It seems some icons are more rare than others. Some are very present in deck one.. I think coniferous trees, but this is mostly a "level three" icon I believe. I would have to pull the decks out and check the distribution in relation to the different continents.

I don't know about distribution in relation to different landscape types/continents, but as far as I know there's no bias towards the same level. Deck 3 contains cards that reward you for having animals in level 2 and 1 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
It's not as much a question of strategy as it is of expected return.

Deck 2 contains some (more powerful) development cards, and some cards that will score you points.

while i think your overall response is good this particular point i don't think is right. i believe deck 2 cards have the highest scoring potential - often as many as 6 points per card but they are harder to capitalize on and you need to be planning towards them earlier. this is why they become available early in the game. deck 3 on the other hand often score an instant 3 points but are more likely to be something you are less likely to have needed to plan for long term. i think they are intended to be focused on late when you no longer have time to set up deck 2 point cards.

as an example a level 2 card might be - 1 point for each reptile in the same continent as your bird. you might also draw another card - 1 point for each bird in the same continent as your reptile. if you were to get this combo, it could score a lot of points but you'd need to plan for it by getting both animals in the same continent and reproducing, etc. conversely you might draw a level 3 card that said - 3 points if you have the most advanced animal in Australia. if you happen to be racing towards the end of Australia and are in the lead this card will score you points immediately and without near as much prior planning.

this is how i think of it anyway and i think that idea came from an early interview i saw with the designer about the game but i'm not 100% certain on that.

all that said the point made here about deck 1 is definitely true - it's the best at helping you develop your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one other point on deck 2 vs. deck 3

deck 3 contains cards that score based on comparison to other players where deck 2 is about your own tableau. you can tell this from the iconography. i don't have the game in front of me but i believe a dark symbol means it scores based on other players where a white symbol means the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.