United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gnar from League of Legends
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is a section somewhere on BGG that would help me find a game similar to X game. I am surprised that there is not a tab underneath a board game title where they have Overview, Ratings, Forums, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
msg tools
The only thing I can think of is Geek Lists at the very bottom of the game screen.

Some of them would not be very helpful but some of the more specific ones, like "The Best Cooperative Worker Placement Strategy Games" (I made that up) should give you games that at least have similar mechanics or theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG used to have an automated recommendation tool, but it wasn't too useful. The best thing is to post in the Recommendations forum and post a little about what you like or what you'd like to see in recommended games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the Advanced Search page to filter on Category, Mechanic, and Sub-domain.

https://boardgamegeek.com/advsearch/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the hive mind found in the recommendation forum does a far better job than some automated tool could. I find its all too common that good recommendations are based on opinions and un-quantifiable feelings, after sifting out with simple requirements like player count and such.
I also think the short debates over games that crop up really helps in getting a better idea of the game.

Though for a more automated game connection I typically click on the mechanic I liked in the game and see where that leads me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channing Goss
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gnar from League of Legends
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the automated tools are no good, however other sites that I use for instance anime-planet, it has suggestions that users craft a paragraph of why they find it similar, then it also has a voting on that to help give a better idea if others agree.

Here is an example of what I am referencing to.

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/one-punch-man/recommendati...

I guess I just am having trouble finding the forums for the games that give me the information i am seeking. I see you can select the game, then click the forums tab, and then it breaks it down if its about rules, reviews, etc. Just wanted to find an easier way than digging thru the general section of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommendations Forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.