Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not sure if there is any information on this, but I've been curious sense joining BGG on how the games logged as "Owned" on BGG compare to the actual number of copies sold. I'm sure there are drastic differences based on the type of game in question, but I was hoping to have a rough idea of how many board game purchases actually get logged on BGG.

For example the Community Stats for Mystic Vale currently say there are 4,000 copies of the game owned. Any guess or information on how this compares to the overall copies sold? Is there a general rule of thumb for various types of games (Party, Card, Euro, War, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem is this, I am guessing there have been more copies of Monopoly sold then there are BGG members.

A lot of course depends on the game, family games (tending to be owned by non gamers, and thus non BGGers) will be disproportionately under represented in terms of ownership to sales ratio then "gamer" games.

Age (as I imply above) is another factor, the older the game the more likely it is to have been sold more then owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
One problem is this, I am guessing there have been more copies of Monopoly sold then there are BGG members.

Not much need to guess. Two years ago, Feb 2015, there were One Million Registered Users. Monopoly wins hands down.

Things are also skewed, though, by how many of of those registered are actually active. The microbadge mb for BGG Level 01 Posters has a population today barely above 23,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly traditional games are far more widely owned than BGG stats indicate.

E.g. Go has 15000 BGG users who mark it owned. Probably many individual Japanese and Chinese cities each have more people who own Go than that...

Similarly 26000 BGG users mark Chess as owned, obviously a tiny fraction of the total number of people in the world who own a Chess set.

And only 1800 BGG owners of Shogi?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Age (as I imply above) is another factor, the older the game the more likely it is to have been sold more then owned.

I would say the older the game the more likely it is to be completely unknown to registered arrivals in the past couple years.

Here is a reference point to check out the growth history.

Item for Geeklist "BoardGameGeek Year End Analytics and Top 100 lists - collected reference links"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbers on a fairly niche game - Barbarossa

Backers for the English language KS - 1267
Listed as owned on the Geek - 916
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
As you mentioned, this is going to vary wildly depending on the game. Even if we're only talking about hobby games, for games like Ticket to Ride or Catan, BGG barely registers as a blip on ownernship numbers. We're the biggest blip that can be found gathered all in one place, but a blip none the less.

Now, if you switch to a game like Food Chain Magnate, BGG likely represents a sizable chunk. The BGG numbers still represent a minority of the ownership of the game, but it's no longer just a blip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember that even games exclusively released via KickStarter (Scythe at the time)only had about 10% marked owned in BGG.

The number of copies of a games released via commercial channels would be hard to keep track of, as most companies don't post those kinds of financial details. This would make it next to impossible to find what percentage are actually recorded in BGG collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A publisher once told me that a good rule of thumb is that the number of sales of a wargame come in at between 3.5 and 4 times the number of owners on BGG. On the other hand, I once saw a comparison between BGG owners and GMT sales and while a large percentage of their games did hover around 3 to 5 times the number of owners on BGG some game's sales varied extremely wildly from these figures. So basically it's a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.