GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,362 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Knossus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A board based exploration/monster hunt game for the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

Players: 2-4
Duration: 30 minutes
Ages: 12+

Components ready

DOWNLOAD HERE :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5aM9F9Hukl9emlKR1lDeHJKRG...

Components
1 playing board
40 Move cards
7 Hero cards
4 Item cards
4 Hero tiles
6 Monster tiles
4 Item tiles

The board represents the Labyrinth of Knossus where King Minos kept the legendary Minotaur. Counters may be used for the Hero and Minotaur miniatures but facing direction must be shown (eg an arrow drawn in sharpie). Counters may also be used for the items.

Players take the role of the young men and women of Athens selected for sacrifice - the objective being to enter the labyrinthe and kill the minotaur before he kills you! The annals of history will only remember one hero though...

Credits
Motley Sprue games

Contest categories:
* Best Date Night Game
* Best Game to Play with Your Child
* Best Casual/Gateway Game
* Best Use of Theme
* Best Art/Graphic Design
* Best New Mechanic
* Best New Designer
* Best Game

To do:
* Final artwork
* Determine board mechanism
* More playtesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Playtest comes out between 20 and 45 mins depending on how tactically people play

------------------------------------------------------------------

Players (up to 4) play a greek hero like Theseus who has been tasked to enter the labyrinth and kill the monster inside.

Game is played on an 18x18 grid with four entrances and shrines to the Gods hidden throughout

At the heart of the maze lies the minotaur. Hidden however are also four relics which can help you:

The Twine of Ariadne - gives you greater control over movement
The Sword of Peina - with this you can slay the minotaur
The Shield of Thunder - this makes you invulnerable to the minotaurs attacks
The Aegis of Hera- allows you to summon any relic within the labyrinth to your hand

Each turn you draw five cards and choose to play 2 or 3 yourself, with the discards going to the minotaur who will move in the order you choose.

Cards are things like Move 1, Move 3 (with a free 90 degree turn), Charge! and Turn 90 degrees. There's currently 48-50 of them.

Objective - win the game by killing the minotaur first, and win the heart of Ariadne (she has no time for losers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lavoie
Canada
flag msg tools
This seems alot like robot rally but with a nice twist. How do you get the items ? By that i mean what mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krone9 wrote:
from my previous game with its 21 page rulebook I now have rules which can be described in 8 sentences. This pleases me.

I think the number of rules have to be expanded. whistle

Is the labyrinth lay out full at the beginning of the game or are the tiles opened when the player approaches them?

There should be more copies of the items (especially the Sword). The Shield should be less powerful.

What is the Minotaur going to do with those cards? When you have no Sword or Shield, do you really think the monster moves away from the player's hero, because that player moves the monster in that direction? Methinks the monster should move to and/or attack the nearest hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like Dungeonquest, which has a dragon in the center instead of a minotaur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rutherfornium wrote:
This seems alot like robot rally but with a nice twist. How do you get the items ? By that i mean what mechanics.

Yeah - I love Robo Rally so was definitely influenced by this - difference is the choice between controlling you and the monster each turn, and playing all your cards one after the other. I wanted something very simple to understand and play but with some depth based on the interaction.

anijunk wrote:
Is the labyrinth lay out full at the beginning of the game or are the tiles opened when the player approaches them?

I currently have a mechanism to generate a random labyrinth from 10 tiles - I am however toying with the idea of just having a board with one design on each side, or some layouts shown in the rulebook. Regardless, its shown on a playing board at the start of the game.

anijunk wrote:
There should be more copies of the items (especially the Sword). The Shield should be less powerful.

A hero can only carry one item - the twine gives a heavy movement advantage, the sword is needed to kill the minotaur and the shield is tbh the least interesting as it merely keeps you alive. If you die, then you drop any item and have to start again at the entrance to the labyrinth.

anijunk wrote:
What is the Minotaur going to do with those cards? When you have no Sword or Shield, do you really think the monster moves away from the player's hero, because that player moves the monster in that direction? Methinks the monster should move to and/or attack the nearest hero.

You get 4 cards each turn. You choose 2 to control your hero, and the remainder go to control the minotaur. Typically you will be able to make a sensible move for only one (hero or minotaur) so you switch between trying to get the sword and trying to murder your friends using the minotaur

Normiyagi wrote:
sounds like Dungeonquest, which has a dragon in the center instead of a minotaur.

I think I've played this a very very long time ago......time to go read -thanks for the tip!

I also have thoughts about alternative monsters - the minotaurs special ability is being able to move very fast. I'm also thinking of a Medusa with a gaze weapon, and possibly a dragon which spits out skeleton warriors....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Found Dungeon Quest - thats very much a Sorcerors Cave style "build a dungeon" - Knossus is MUCH simpler and quicker to play (deliberately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
krone9 wrote:
I also have thoughts about alternative monsters - the minotaurs special ability is being able to move very fast. I'm also thinking of a Medusa with a gaze weapon, and possibly a dragon which spits out skeleton warriors....

With medusa you could make it that the shield is what you need to kill her and use the sword to fend her off and avoid getting stoned. No idea what that accomplishes since it's still mechanically the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
brilliant - thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
playtested tonight - played well for 2 players with a game length of about 30-40 mins

a few amends to make - such as a safe zone from the minotaur (and I'm considering more than one)

twine works well and sword - neither of us went for the shield

also tweaked the card balance - 30 cards is a nice number for 2 players, but we took a chunk of the turn cards out to reduce the amount of spinning on the spot.

I'm also considering reducing the size of the board (and have a number of good feedback suggestions from rulebook feedback to try out - thanks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
have updated the balance of the move cards and tweaked a few things in the rulebook.

Also added the choke points near the entrance to create a safe zone from the minotaur.

Female character choices added (and I'm considering a limit on the number of communal "lives" you have in game to map to 7 (aim being to limit game time a little). If you (as a group) run out of lives then players with no heroes left start drawing purely to control the minotaur (which sounds like utter carnage)

I'm also going to submit this into my first design contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
did a quick play test with my better half (first time she's played it) - seemed only fair given I've submitted it for the 2 player contest!

Ran well - 20-25mins game that flowed well, and I have zero notes from which is a good sign.

Time for some less friendly playtesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Welcome to the contest Andrew!

Great theme, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Welcome to the contest Andrew!

Great theme, BTW.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
quick question - I've created a quick and dirty version on tabletop simulator. Would people be interested/would it make it easier to test? At the moment its local files only but I could change that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Trying to download but the maze cards are coming out weird. They look OK at first but then all these layers pop in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi. Trying to download but the maze cards are coming out weird. They look OK at first but then all these layers pop in.

I've just recreated them - can you check and let me know if that works? (replaced the file)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the maze and move cards mixed up -- the problem is with move card 1. All other low ink pdfs are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
I got the maze and move cards mixed up -- the problem is with move card 1. All other low ink pdfs are fine.

ok I've recreated that one as well- let me know if its still giving you issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! All files look fine now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
TableTop Simulator Guide

I've created this (in a VERY basic form - not final artwork/figures etc) in Tabletop Simulator. I've used a generated maze I made using the maze cards and the rules - I can create more variants at some point.

Note you will need to count your lives (7 total between the players), deal 5 cards to each at the start of each round, and move tokens around accordingly. I haven't bothered to print the maze cards or the item cards so please refer to the rulebook and use the tokens to track who has what.

Its a bit clunky to play (as you have to move the figures and rotate them yourself) but it does work. I'm now using it to playtest myself

The files are all stored in the same place as rules (in a sub folder)
- but I think you can just use the save file which is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5aM9F9Hukl9bjRsdFhyU096NT...

and the thumbnail image is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5aM9F9Hukl9ZTVUOHRacUYxdz...

(copy to Documents / My Games / Table Top Simulator / Saves)

Let me know if you get it working/run into problems!!

I've made a short version of the rules in the Notebook section - hopefully that copies over as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've updated the JSON file as the card balance was off - now adjusted.

Things I am currently considering:

1. Does it cost you a move card to pick up/exchange an item? (I'm currently thinking no but might test this)

2. The game is quick to play at the moment and I quite like the simplicity. I am however considering adding in a layer of complexity around special moves that can be worked towards during play.

Let me know any thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I just finish playing with a quick printout. I really like the theme and the individual heroes. Setting up the maze was clear, except that I thought it would help to have orientation specified on the maze cards, and I think the final version will be immersive.

With respect to rules, I think there needs to be a line or two about shuffling the discards and dealing each round. Also, if the Minotaur charges the hero with the sword, who dies? I assume it's the hero?

With respect to gameplay, each round is very fast, so I was mostly shuffling and dealing. A related issue is that play feels reactive and chance-driven (For example, I had one hero within one move of the sword while the other was still bouncing off the walls of the entry.), not tactical or strategic. Not sure what you can do about that, but simply including more move cards will smooth things some.

Thanks for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi. I just finish playing with a quick printout. I really like the theme and the individual heroes. Setting up the maze was clear, except that I thought it would help to have orientation specified on the maze cards, and I think the final version will be immersive.

I'll work on that - good feedback as I'm tending to playtest with a pregenerated map. I need to focus here as well.

GreenTea532 wrote:

With respect to rules, I think there needs to be a line or two about shuffling the discards and dealing each round.

I think I'm going to add to the cards to allow for 4 players (probably around 40 total) to try and reduce the amount of shuffling a little. I'll also add to the rules then about discards.

GreenTea532 wrote:

Also, if the Minotaur charges the hero with the sword, who dies? I assume it's the hero?
Yes correct - hero can only kill the minotaur in his own turn (I'll add that to the FAQ though

GreenTea532 wrote:

With respect to gameplay, each round is very fast, so I was mostly shuffling and dealing. A related issue is that play feels reactive and chance-driven (For example, I had one hero within one move of the sword while the other was still bouncing off the walls of the entry.), not tactical or strategic. Not sure what you can do about that, but simply including more move cards will smooth things some.

Thanks for the game!

Hmmm interesting. I'm playing with card balance which may help - I think the next change will be to add a free turn to the Move 1 cards (as its close but my playtest tonight had a hero running into walls 2 turns running)

Thanks loads for trying this and for your really helpful comments! PM me with your full name if you want a playtesting credit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.