Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 11th Annual Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced for 2016 - Vote Now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Surprised Manhattan Project: Energy Empire wasn't nominated for best Artwork/Presentation ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
LewZephyr wrote:
Really surprised that Dice Tower was not in the list of Podcasts.
They won already so can't win again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Will giving a game a 15 or an N/A lower its standing more?
Aldie wrote:
* Change a rank to N/A if you have no opinion on an item. Any other games you rate will be considered higher ranked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for Star Trek Ascendency - would have thought it would have made at least Most Innovation with the open board placement, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
LewZephyr wrote:
Should call their newer ones "2nd Edition"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bearded meeple
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Dang it. Now it looks like I'll need to get into podcasting too? lol
Congrats to all the nominees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why only 4 games in RPG of the year category? There were a ton of good games that dropped last year - I had to make some hard choices about which 10 to nominate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
For me, Board Games - Innovation is a particularly exciting group of games.
Me too... and then I see a game with "2nd Edition" in the title and wonder... what the heck is going on here?!?!

The 2nd Edition of Mansions of Madness is, for my money, one of the more innovative of the bunch. The changes between the two editions — namely, pushing the GM role onto a mobile app — are substantial and are exactly what makes the game innovative. The 2nd Edition isn't a mere reprint or streamlining of the original release.

One could make the argument that the app integration doesn't really do anything that prior GM-like apps haven't already done (e.g., X-COM), but that's a different matter.

Some of the other nominees for that category, on the other hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Why only 4 games in RPG of the year category? There were a ton of good games that dropped last year

You may have answered your own question. If a game needed to have a certain number of nominations to become an official nominee, there might have been a dilution such that few met that threshold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chieh-Yu Chen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see Hanamikoji got nominated for 2-player game, which was just available in the States from 2017 Jan. I am excited that this mini game published by a small company can get players' attention. By the way, my wife's bridesmaid, Mai, made the art, although we are a little disappointed Hanamikoji was not nominated in the Artwork category. It is really competitive in the Artwork category this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Wow, how did Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend not make the cut for Best Boardgame App? I know a lot of people are playing it. FFG said their sales of the physical products tripled after the app was released.

Yeah, this is stunning. It fundamentally changed the nature of this entire game system. I actually thought that, when I didn't see it on the list, it must have been a late 2015 release and that's why it didn't show up. Nope--mid 2016. Hard to believe it didn't even get nominated. That's disappointing. I'm pretty unenthusiastic for voting for anything else in this category when my top choice (by far) isn't even an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Codex: Card-Time Strategy didn't get considered for the 2 Player category is a sad and significant omission. I've been in the hobby a long time (one of the first 200 members of BGG, a long time member of Spielfrieks, and an avid reader of The Games Cabinet even before that) and can make a very strong case that Codex is better than most of the nominees.

Truly, a missed opportunity by The Geek for not giving this one a closer look.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
crparis wrote:
The fact that Codex: Card-Time Strategy didn't get considered for the 2 Player category is a sad and significant omission. I've been in the hobby a long time (one of the first 200 members of BGG, a long time member of Spielfrieks, and an avid reader of The Games Cabinet even before that) and can make a very strong case that Codex is better than most of the nominees.

shake

One word: Sirlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
One word: Sirlin.

Sadly, you're probably not wrong. That said, if we're here to promote the best games, the name on the box should be irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:
Super thrilled to see both my games of 2016 nominated: Flamme Rouge and 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis.

Thanks to all for the support. Very honoured!

Happy nuking and happy racing!
Asger Granerud

Congrats and well deserved. Two of my favorite games of last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
crparis wrote:

shake

Widespread exposure tends to play a big part in the awards; I'm guessing the game likely just hasn't been played by many people, despite it being excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Wow, how did Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend not make the cut for Best Boardgame App? I know a lot of people are playing it. FFG said their sales of the physical products tripled after the app was released.

Yeah, this is stunning. It fundamentally changed the nature of this entire game system. I actually thought that, when I didn't see it on the list, it must have been a late 2015 release and that's why it didn't show up. Nope--mid 2016. Hard to believe it didn't even get nominated. That's disappointing. I'm pretty unenthusiastic for voting for anything else in this category when my top choice (by far) isn't even an option.

I tried to nominate it but no button showed up when I selected the app during the nomination process. Weird but there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game didn't get nominated for anything, the artworks excellent and I find the gameplay innovative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
LewZephyr wrote:
Should call their newer ones "2nd Edition"
Best line I have read all day! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Scythe is innovative?

No, not really, but this award should be titled:

Hyped games will be nominated in every category and win those even if an objective jury would have said "no way".

I still don't understand how 504 could not be Most innovative game last year, because a game that was basically a combination of Pandemic and Risk Legacy (which whould have deserved the most innovative back then) was hyped more than the real innovative games.

This year probably Scythe or Mechs vs Minions will win that price instead of Mystic Vale (or Fabled Fruit, but I consider MV more innovative).

LewZephyr wrote:

They already won the award.

Something I wonder is how Stronghold got on the list, being a 2015 release. Wouldn't it make sense in those cases to put all Essen releases to the continuing year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
twohu2001 wrote:
Glad to see Hanamikoji got nominated for 2-player game, which was just available in the States from 2017 Jan. I am excited that this mini game published by a small company can get players' attention. By the way, my wife's bridesmaid, Mai, made the art, although we are a little disappointed Hanamikoji was not nominated in the Artwork category. It is really competitive in the Artwork category this year.

And what awesome art it is... I tried to nominate it in several categories, like 2 player game, artwork and card game, but couldn't find it in the list at all. Which I assume was because the original game is a few years old. Apparently others found it better than I did...
At least I can vote it in the best 2 player category, which I hope it will win hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to recent popularity the next games has the best chances for winning:

Scythe
Terraforming Mars
Great Western Trail
Mechs vs. Minions
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Codenames: Pictures
A Feast for Odin
Sushi Go Party!
Imhotep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:

Have Scythe, interested in Mars for solo play, not fussed about any of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crparis wrote:

shake

These awards are just a popularity award and determined by how well known the game is. Games with a small following, how good they are, simply don't have much of a chance.

I hear mostly positive reviews for Codex and am intrigued by the game. I don't really know Sirlin but seen him act a bit cocky and silly a few times, still don't really care for that.

What stops me from getting the game is just it's pricepoint. Super expensive for basically just a 2 player cardgame. I don't care for binders and all that nonsense, I would have gotten the game if it just had a dominion style box and prizepoint (which has a similar amount of cards I think). Instead I have to get stuff separately and pay $150 if i want it all. I would have gotten it for sure if I could get a basic version, ie just a board and a box of cards for $50.

It also has the problem that it feels very much like a magic ripoff with very similar stuff.

Finally it doesn't help that the BGG entries are split threeway between the different boxes. Games like this should just have 1 entry, it's silly. Some people vote for the core box, some for the deluxe set and it never get's enough votes to even enter the top 1000, despite a great average rating over all versions combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:

My bet is on great western trail. The buzz for Scythe has dwindled I think and not enough people can get ahold of terraforming mars in time i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.