Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 11th Annual Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced for 2016 - Vote Now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Cry Havoc not get a nomination for game of the year?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
How did Cry Havoc not get a nomination for ?!?

Hm, a bit strange then it is nominated for both Strategy game and thematic game, and Innovative. But I'm not complaining, 15 solid titles in the game of the year category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
matthean wrote:
Scythe is innovative?

No, not really, but this award should be titled:

Hyped games will be nominated in every category and win those even if an objective jury would have said "no way".

Yeah, I wish there was a way to emphasize to people to not just vote for their favorite games in a couple of categories. Artwork and innovative, in particular (although Scythe is also pretty legit for artwork, in this case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Codex not get a nomination for 2-Player Game, Card Game, Innovative, Print & Play nor Strategy Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
How did Codex not get a nomination for 2-Player Game, Card Game, Innovative, Print & Play nor Strategy Game?

Never heard of it. Meanwhile most of the games nominated has made a big splash and got good buzz and reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
$225 is 25 dollars less than a PS4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twohu2001 wrote:
Glad to see Hanamikoji got nominated for 2-player game, which was just available in the States from 2017 Jan. I am excited that this mini game published by a small company can get players' attention. By the way, my wife's bridesmaid, Mai, made the art, although we are a little disappointed Hanamikoji was not nominated in the Artwork category. It is really competitive in the Artwork category this year.

I was very surprised Hanamikoji wasn't nominated in the Artwork category. It's a beautiful game, and I love the artwork. But, yeah, the Artwork category is really tough this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

Anything commercially available is ineligible for the PnP category. We had to toss a lot of the top vote-getters this year in that category, as they failed to qualify on that count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How in the hell is Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Core Set not on the 2 player list. Has a higher user rating than all the games listed except for Rebellion. Shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
How is Mansions of Madness nominated for Artwork and Presentation? Those miniatures and bases suck and don't go together well at all. The app is nice, but that is what the app category is for (I assumed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
$225 is 25 dollars less than a PS4.

Oh. Really expansive. Good there is a undeluxe Core Set if someone want this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Locu wrote:
matthean wrote:
Scythe is innovative?

No, not really, but this award should be titled:

Hyped games will be nominated in every category and win those even if an objective jury would have said "no way".

Yeah, I wish there was a way to emphasize to people to not just vote for their favorite games in a couple of categories. Artwork and innovative, in particular (although Scythe is also pretty legit for artwork, in this case).

That's a really simple problem to address. I mean absurdly simple. You don't make the nominations based on popular vote. Get a council to choose what should be nominated. Make that council representative of the various communities on BGG. Together they can weigh certain factors and come up with a nomination list that maybe represents a cross-section of what BGG users look for. And then ultimately, the userbase selects the final winner.

Sure, people may whine about their favorite game not getting nominated, but I suspect it would be a pretty extraordinary event for a game which wasn't nominated to be the game that probably would have won the final, popular vote, had it been nominated. Heck, the Dice Tower Award winners are selected by a council, and they don't seem to be any less popular for it.

As a bonus, it also means the cliché of 'It's an honor just to be nominated' will have some real meaning behind it. As is, I can't imagine Stonemaier is 'honored' that Scythe was nominated for Most Innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best PC game has some idiotic, no-name game in there. "Detention?" WTF is that supposed to be. Replace that shit with Titanfall 2 at least, thus proving you have some understanding of what the PC game market is. I guarantee you that 0.0001% of PC gamers know what the BLEEP "Detention" is...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
crparis wrote:
The fact that Codex: Card-Time Strategy didn't get considered for the 2 Player category is a sad and significant omission. I've been in the hobby a long time (one of the first 200 members of BGG, a long time member of Spielfrieks, and an avid reader of The Games Cabinet even before that) and can make a very strong case that Codex is better than most of the nominees.

Truly, a missed opportunity by The Geek for not giving this one a closer look.

shake

Widespread exposure tends to play a big part in the awards; I'm guessing the game likely just hasn't been played by many people, despite it being excellent.

So all this should be renamed "Golden Popularity Awards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted! Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mb
This is the first year I can recall where I have played zero of the nominees (although three of them have been making very nice shelf decorations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
crparis wrote:
The fact that Codex: Card-Time Strategy didn't get considered for the 2 Player category is a sad and significant omission. I've been in the hobby a long time (one of the first 200 members of BGG, a long time member of Spielfrieks, and an avid reader of The Games Cabinet even before that) and can make a very strong case that Codex is better than most of the nominees.

Truly, a missed opportunity by The Geek for not giving this one a closer look.

shake

Widespread exposure tends to play a big part in the awards; I'm guessing the game likely just hasn't been played by many people, despite it being excellent.

So all this should be renamed "Golden Popularity Awards".

I basically have zero interest in any award system that is based around consumer votes. I don't need an award to know what game is the most popular - the 'hotness' already tells me that. I would much rather have a panel of experts compile their votes. This would potentially lead me to new, great games that I have not been exposed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
LewZephyr wrote:
Really surprised that Dice Tower was not in the list of Podcasts.
They won already so can't win again.

I was also wondering about this. Once you've won, you cant reappear on the list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bryant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often feel like I am too much a follower of 'The cult of the new'. Then, reading this list, I realize that of this entire list, I've only played 3 apps and 1 rpg - none of the boardgames (I do own a couple of them, but they have yet to be played).

The one thing does not offset the other, just thought it was interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual, there's an interesting mix of games that were nominated. But I'm pretty disappointed in the Best Card Game category. None of the following were nominated, all of which are really good games: First Class, the Coal Baron card game, the Power Grid card game, North American Railways, Codename: Pictures, or Insider. Honshu, the CoB card game, and Fabled Fruit are pretty good, but I'm still surprised how many good games didn't make the cut.

(Interestingly, First Class was nominated as best Strategy game. That's great, but why not a best Card game nomination? Don't people consider it a card game? After all, it was billed as the Russian Railroads card game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping at some point this moves back to being later in the year. In the board game of the year category I see three games I've played, and at least six that I'd like to try but haven't had the opportunity to play yet.

I should go look at the previous years' winners, but I suspect that the end result is heavily weighted towards games released earlier in the year or that had massive hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Striker511 wrote:
No love for Star Trek Ascendency - would have thought it would have made at least Most Innovation with the open board placement, etc.

Agreed, particularly given that I didn't see a whole lot of innovation from the games nominated in the category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How the hell did Codex not get blah blah for blah blah when it blah blah?

Oh wait, because it didn't get enough nominations, like any other process that requires nominations. Never mind. Move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tabara
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Worthless award system...check.
Games no one has heard of...check.
Audience of VGG a whopping 100-200 people...check.
Audience of VGG voting...who cares...check.

Maybe video game awards should be done by...oh I don't know...video game sites that actually give a damn and put their money where their mouth is - something like that.

Yes, this is a bitter post. But VGG is really just a collage of people that have board games but do video gaming as well.

Yes, we are the Battlestar Gallatica part of this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize how comparatively complex the evaluation for this Schulze method they use to evaluate the winners is. Can someone explain, in simple, clear language, the advantages of this over the simpler and more comprehensible instant-runoff evaluation (one where you just drop lowest-ranked candidates and re-allocate the votes until someone gets >50%)?

All these different voting systems reward different things - in fields with large numbers of candidates, the various ranked-preference systems tend to reward whatever has the best reach (Splendor, Codenames). I tend to think that ranked-preferences fails when you've got somewhere north of 5 candidates many of which are competitive - people just aren't discerning enough to sensibly rank 10 - never mind 15 - games (if you ask them again in a week or a month, you'll get a different result even though the underlying preferences probably haven't changed). On the other end, I personally went through the voting and could only really vote for 2-3 in each category just because that's all I had played, or anything beyond that I couldn't possibly endorse as a potential winner. If the average voter is only voting for 3-5 games in a 15 game field, that's gotta be kind of messing things up too.

I like preference ranking for solving the problem of dealing with small numbers of fairly distinct politicians or political parties in winner-take-all elections. But I have to wonder if it's effective when you've got all these overlapping categories (several of which voters clearly don't understand the criterion for at all) with mostly broadly similar games and a voter base with a broadly similar set of preferences, so you're trying to draw distinctions at a resolution that simply doesn't exist.

So, for example, in the GotY category, figure out which of the broadly similar Terraforming Mars, The Colonists, and A Feat for Odin has the most support, and strike the other two. Do the same thing for Scythe, Inis, and Star Wars Rebellion (not perfect, but close enough). If you could winnow the lists down to just 5 really distinct nominees (which is plenty) it would make this whole process a lot more interesting. If you want to be purely automated, you could do something with BGG rating correlations to winnow the field when games have a very high ratings correlation.

I think something needs to change. It just really feels like a scattershot mess right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.