Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: witchfinder_general [+] [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched a new KS video for a game I am interested in (The Shared Dream). UV did a video for it but I noticed that the "includes paid endorsement" tiny white label at the beginning is not there.

Is Undead Viking no longer accepting payments for endorsement previews and now doing unpaid Reviews?

Seems these "includes paid endorsement" dropped off of the last few videos...

Considering his past issues in this arena, I was wondering if he changed his practice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*makes popcorn...finds comfortable chair...*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
Oh lord, not this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the Viking in question, this topic is back from beyond the grave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Oh lord, not this again.

Yes, some still think it is important to be clear in what you are communicating out there. You are free not to participate if it causes you angst though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six posts in and I'm giving this thread an early thumbs up in anticipation of the entertainment I expect to get from reading the responses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe he forgot to tick the box again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
maybe he forgot to tick the box again.

He could be very forgetful like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Durston
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He did a video recently for the Board Game Truck Kickstarter which played straight out as an infomercial based on things from their site. Rahdo, too. No way they weren't paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
He did a video recently for the Board Game Truck Kickstarter which played straight out as an infomercial based on things from their site. Rahdo, too. No way they weren't paid.

Rahdo states that he doesn't accept payment. Undead Viking has accepted payement in the past for certain, maybe still does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Rahdo doesn't get paid for stuff, he's made that clear.

However, I'm not sure it's worth having this discussion again. Everything that needs to be said was said last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
saturnkk wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:
Oh lord, not this again.

Yes, some still think it is important to be clear in what you are communicating out there. You are free not to participate if it causes you angst though....

I agree with you. It is important that he is clear about these messages.

That being said, starting the nth thread on BGG about it isn't going to change anything. We're going to have the same debate about whether or not this matters (with no appearance from UV) until it hits the same wall and falls into oblivion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Mat628 wrote:
Rahdo states that he doesn't accept payment. Undead Viking has accepted payement in the past for certain, maybe still does?
At least for this one I find that really hard to believe.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/123896/outside-scope-bgg/rah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8ZSGX6mCw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/417979510/board-game-tr...

Rahdo's Run Through is about as uncritical and parroting of the KS campaign page as one can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

Rahdo doesn't get paid for stuff, he's made that clear.

However, I'm not sure it's worth having this discussion again. Everything that needs to be said was said last time.

It is worth bringing up because if he is accepting payment, and not noting that he is, then he is back to the same issue for the third time of not posting that he is accepting payment on his videos. If he is not accepting payment any longer, that is good to know. If he has forgotten once again to declare that he is , also good to know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:
Oh lord, not this again.

I agree with you. It is important that he is clear about these messages.

That being said, starting the nth thread on BGG about it isn't going to change anything. We're going to have the same debate about whether or not this matters (with no appearance from UV) until it hits the same wall and falls into oblivion.

If it stimulates some discussion and awareness that is good for all. We shouldn't just give him a "free ride" if he is not accurately representing himself. If he is accurately representing this as an unpaid review, we should know that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Mat628 wrote:
At least for this one I find that really hard to believe.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/123896/outside-scope-bgg/rah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8ZSGX6mCw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/417979510/board-game-tr...

Rahdo's Run Through is about as uncritical and parroting of the KS campaign page as one can get.

That is pretty interesting. It definitely has the feel of a paid endorsement. But Rahdo has vehemently denied taking money for his reviews and states that he will only post positive reviews. Maybe ask Rahdo directly in this case?

This particular case may be a good argument for why taking product for an endorsement (I don't know that Rahdo has in this case) is also worth mentioning in the video itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Oh lord, not this again.
I agree that it's sad this has come up again. But I don't think it is Kirk's fault it is an issue again. UV could easily prevent this ever happening again and apparently either chooses not to do so, or just doesn't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:
Oh lord, not this again.
I agree that it's sad this has come up again. But I don't think it is Kirk's fault it is an issue again. UV could easily prevent this ever happening again and apparently either chooses not to do so, or just doesn't care.

or... maybe he is not taking money any longer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inclined positively towards the Board Game Truck, too. Initially pledged. Withdrew the pledge. Still not sure that I won't get back and pledge before the campaign ends. But there's definitely some drawbacks to each of them that should get mentioned in any honest and independent review. If Rahdo didn't get paid for that I'd eat my hat.

Just as one example, he falls over himself how great that in the bigger one you can lay your games flat so as not to disturb the components. But the smaller one, which he also raved about, you place them in on their side. Which is fine. But if you're giving an independent assessment you should at least consider and mention that.

I sorta don't care whether or not he denies he took money. There's no way you give that much of a snow job without getting some sort of consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My trust level for UV is so low that i will not back a KS if he makes a video for it, no matter what disclosure he makes.

Rahdo isn't there yet, but he is getting close. No one can praise everything that much and be sincere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
No one can praise everything that much and be sincere.

I do not know any of the general "reviewer crowd" personally, so from me this is purely an observation with an opinion... but I feel the same.

Other than to see the bits in action, and get a sense of the gameplay that still images don't provide, I have drifted away from following any specific video reviewer.

Oh, and I think the horsebeating image is hilarious. Thanks to
Andy Durston
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
My trust level for UV is so low that i will not back a KS if he makes a video for it, no matter what disclosure he makes.

Rahdo isn't there yet, but he is getting close. No one can praise everything that much and be sincere.
It kinda depends on what you mean by "sincere"... Hear me out!

If he takes a 5-minute look at the game, and plays a single round, he could say "Hey, that looks like it could be really fun, and I could see wanting to play it a bunch!" And then he puts it into the pile of "Played+Reviewed Games" and moves onto the next item on his "TODO" list.

I've done that for some games, where I play it once, think I'd love playing it every day forever and ever...and then a couple days after playing it, I think "You know, that wasn't that great."

The problem with video reviews is that he might never get that second look at the game to say "You know, this really isn't as great as I thought, I just got swept up in the excitement of something new and neat." Instead, we're left with his very initial impressions.

I now take gushing reviews with two handfuls of salt. No point holding it against the reviewers, but it simply means I need to do further research to see what the bad parts of the game are. After that research, if I'm still okay with the game compared with the games I already have then I can consider getting it.

No review can make me "insta-buy" something anymore, because first impressions work great when you have a ton of disposable income and shelf space (and husband points). Unfortunately, I am blessed with none of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
*makes popcorn...finds comfortable chair...*

Pours two beers. Instinctively knows what Leo likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
You could take your own advice and send a private message to SaturnKK if you were actually concerned. Instead, you chose to hide behind an sockpuppet.

Wait..."My Account Too" hasn't been here for years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |