United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
My trust level for UV is so low that i will not back a KS if he makes a video for it, no matter what disclosure he makes.

Rahdo isn't there yet, but he is getting close. No one can praise everything that much and be sincere.

This x2

Superb observation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
If he keeps ignoring it, he doesn't care. No need for what I believe is a third thread on this topic by you.

If he (UV) doesn't care, then why are you so concerned about the number of thread topics? We aren't running out of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apparently youtube cares. that is why they provide the checkbox and tell you to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk, I like your posts and insights. However, at what point to do you say, "The only energy being spent on this topic is by me, and it's not getting its intended result"? Understand this is not a negative comment towards you, just a little reflective. I've discovered there are some things I would get so frustrated about, and it was only effecting my mood or state of mind and wasn't making a change. I'm sort of learning to let some of these things go. You know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
*makes popcorn...finds comfortable chair...*

((looks at the popcorn then back at thread,.....gonna need more popcorn))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
front page threads about UndeadViking videos and about Legacy games. Really brings me back to the summer of 2016, those were the days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Kirk, I like your posts and insights. However, at what point to do you say, "The only energy being spent on this topic is by me, and it's not getting its intended result"? Understand this is not a negative comment towards you, just a little reflective. I've discovered there are some things I would get so frustrated about, and it was only effecting my mood or state of mind and wasn't making a change. I'm sort of learning to let some of these things go. You know?

Well, I stumbled on it by accident while reviewing the KS (I back a lot of projects there). I guess it bothers me a bit when people do not represent themselves accurately on reviews so given the history here and the prior explanations that it was all just a misunderstanding, I thought I would ask and set for discussion since here we are again. I have nothing personal with UV, just and issue with any person, in a hobby that I care very much about, potentially (I am trying to stay open minded on this) not being transparent. Thanks for your kind words in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
You could take your own advice and send a private message to SaturnKK if you were actually concerned. Instead, you chose to hide behind an sockpuppet.

Wait..."My Account Too" hasn't been here for years?

Well, not anymore. Account deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ah, the old, "your the bully for calling out the bully" tactic. Ok, nice deflection.
Not a sock puppet, just a disgusted non-member. Disgusted by the typical torch and pitch-fork threads so beloved by many bgg users. This is why I dont hold accounts here.

Asking people, even asking them over and over, to tell the truth, is not bullying. No matter what sock puppets on the internet claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
You could take your own advice and send a private message to SaturnKK if you were actually concerned. Instead, you chose to hide behind an sockpuppet.

And also all my hilarious comments. I'd like to submit an affidavit for lost thumbs and/or gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Message Deleted
The post titled: 'Re: Undead Viking Videos ' has been deleted from the forums.

User MyAccountToo belongs to a banned member. The account has been deleted. Deleting any messages that quote the banned user.

--- This message was auto-generated - do not reply ---
A Geek Forum Moderator

I'm just stunned. Who could have possibly suspected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Christ's sake people, make your own opinions about games by reading the rules and watching a play through. Stop relying on someone else to tell you if you might like something and you won't care if someone is transparent or not. People act like he ran over a dog or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
For Christ's sake people, make your own opinions about games by reading the rules and watching a play through. Stop relying on someone else to tell you if you might like something and you won't care if someone is transparent or not. People act like he ran over a dog or something.

People questioning the integrity of people who give them previews of something which they want to buy and who hold themselves out as independent is, in the scheme of things, a small concern.

But this is a site that just had a 5-page thread whether people stand or sit while playing a game. And I assume an in-depth weighing of pros and cons and argument that somehow relate specifically to sitting or standing while playing a game. If you knocked out all of the truly trivial threads from BGG, you'd have like 3 per day leftover. This one is actually fairly applicable (albeit apparently repetitive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the "paid endorsement" label is back now again. Though this does now make me curious how, after all of the prior threads and multiple times called out, UV could have somehow omitted them yet again?!?

I mean for god sakes, he is doing this for a living right?....

I assume that he values having a strong and honest reputation for transparency in this hobby. Now we are left to speculate given it is unlikely that he will ever discuss why this has happened again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
My trust level for UV is so low that i will not back a KS if he makes a video for it, no matter what disclosure he makes.

Rahdo isn't there yet, but he is getting close. No one can praise everything that much and be sincere.

Per Rahdo, he does not review games that he dislikes. This would explain why all of his reviews are positive.

He could of course being lying about that, but assuming he's not, which I do, it explains why he gives everything he reviews a great deal of praise with very little in the way of critique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Per Rahdo, he does not review games that he dislikes. This would explain why all of his reviews are positive.

He could of course being lying about that, but assuming he's not, which I do, it explains why he gives everything he reviews a great deal of praise with very little in the way of critique.

Did you watch his video for Board Game Truck? You should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
proclaimed wrote:

People questioning the integrity of people who give them previews of something which they want to buy and who hold themselves out as independent is, in the scheme of things, a small concern.

But this is a site that just had a 5-page thread whether people stand or sit while playing a game. And I assume an in-depth weighing of pros and cons and argument that somehow relate specifically to sitting or standing while playing a game. If you knocked out all of the truly trivial threads from BGG, you'd have like 3 per day leftover. This one is actually fairly applicable (albeit apparently repetitive).

A preview of a game should explain the goal of the game and the mechanisms to get you there. A "presenter's" thoughts and opinion have nothing to do with a preview and being paid or not is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
A preview of a game should explain the goal of the game and the mechanisms to get you there. A "presenter's" thoughts and opinion have nothing to do with a preview and being paid or not is irrelevant.

They're not presenters. They hold themselves out as independent reviewers. That's a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

Just did. Looks like a fine product to me, or did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am always amazed by people who argue for less information. information is the lifeblood of the market and proper disclosure is the expected norm for any paid preview in pretty much any field.

why do you not want to be informed? if you simply don't care that's fine for you, but don't try to prevent others from being informed if they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Mat628 wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

Just did. Looks like a fine product to me, or did I miss something?

I think it's a fine product. Backed, backed out, may end up backing. But Rahdo's pitch for it is straight infomercial. It's a complete re-pitch of the designers' own claims with no insight or critique of it other than, "Isn't this great." I can't see any chance he didn't receive something for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

I did not. It's not a game I'm interested in.

Also, I generally enjoy Rahdo more for his playthroughs than his reviews. I should also mention I gravitate more toward written reviews than video reviews. All of this is to say that I've seen a couple of his reviews but I'm not exceptionally familiar with him.

I'm not intending to defend Rahdo. He could very well be lying and receiving payment in exchange for positive reviews. But his review of Board Game Truck could just as easily be the result of laziness or maybe time constraints or some other non-nefarious reason. Or maybe he took payment. It's definitely possible, but I don't have any actual hard evidence and until someone produces some I'm inclined to take the man at his word.

It's just my personal opinion on the matter. I don't fault anyone for disliking him or finding him dishonest or unreliable or whatever. And I applaud those who dig into the matter to find the truth of issue. I think it's a good thing to know if a reviewer is taking compensation in exchange for positive reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
I can't see any chance he didn't receive something for that.

I think it's likely that's he (Rahdo) didn't receive anything for it, as that's not all that different from a typical Rahdo review - of which Rahdo says are not paid (which I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a simple solution.

Assume that every word that comes out of the UV's mouth is paid for. You then have the choice of not watching his videos if you think his views may be biased, or you can watch them just to see how a game plays and not listen to his opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Kirk, I like your posts and insights. However, at what point to do you say, "The only energy being spent on this topic is by me, and it's not getting its intended result"?

I appreciate his raising awareness on it, as I didn't know about this "reviewer" before seeing Kirk's earlier thread. As another poster said, asking someone to tell the truth isn't bullying, nor is it a bad practice to point out dishonesty every time you see it. It gives me a chuckle to see people bemoaning the issue being brought up by taking the time to post that they object to us discussing it. Oh the irony.

I might add that my wife works in social media, and I happened to ask her about the issue. Her immediate response was that's a recipe for legal trouble, as many websites will ban users who do it, and it runs afoul of FTC regulations. I'll quote the FTC and you can decide for yourself:

"The Commission has long held the view that advertising and promotional messages that are not identifiable as advertising to consumers are deceptive if they mislead consumers into believing they are independent, impartial, or not from the sponsoring advertiser itself."

Pretty clear IMHO. Will there be repercussions? Of course not. Still, it's a rule that a lot of sites believe is worth enforcing, and I happen to agree. Without knowing all the particulars, I would reserve judgement, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.