Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: witchfinder_general [+] [View All]
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
rahdo wrote:

The rampant unfounded cynicism displayed in these threads is so disheartening, and now I've got to go and film some videos for you people but I wonder why I bother. I think I have to unsubscribe to General, because threads like these make it such a genuinely depressing place...

And this is where I just lost all respect for Rahdo.

To answer your question Richard, it's because we're paying your salary.
- Your 2016 Kickstarter Campaign raised $51,936 USD
- Your 2015 Kickstarter Campaign raised $36,621 USD
- Your 2014 Kickstarter Campaign raised $17,781 USD
- Your 2013 Kickstarter Campaign raised $4,067 USD

As of 3rd Quarter 2014, the most recent report I could find, the average wage in Malta was $16,948.45 USD ( 16,083 Euro). This means that in 2014 your Kickstarter raised the average annual salary, in 2015 it raise more than double the annual salary, and in 2016 you raised 3 times the average annual salary for Malta. (Source: http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2015-01-07/local-news...).

In four years this community has given you $110,405 USD to provide the community with unbiased reviews and play throughs. If people suspect that you are taking money from the publishers and/or designers to provide positive reviews, they have every right to call you on it. Seeing as how we have nothing to go one but your word, that you aren't taking money from the publishers, it's a fair accusation to make. So far the only refutation I've ever seen you make amounts to "Nuh uh!! Am not!!! I'm leaving because you guys don't trust some dude on the Internet that you give thousands of dollars to!"

Thanks to the generosity of the board game community that you find so offensive and cynical, you have the ability (whether you do or not, I've no idea) to live a pretty damn good life in Malta. So when you say "I wonder why I bother?" All I can think is what an absolutely arrogant, egotistical, entitled, and generally asinine statement that is to make.

Yea I'm with you on this one. He also didn't bother to read the whole thread when Kirk was actually the first one to say when the disclaimer was added to the video but thought it was ok to make accusations and attacks on Kirk.

I'll be heading to youtube to unsubscribe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
Four words

Who. Gives. A. Shit?
Lance is a friend of mine

Huh? Did you not post, who gives a !@#$? And then follow it with a response that Lance is your friend? Those are in direct contradiction.

Keep tryin' son. Long ways to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gramps, you're not making any sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Benny Golson - Groovin' with Golson
badge
Fall Back Down When I Die - Joe Wilkins
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

-I know Lance, I trust Lance, if Lance says he likes a game, I'm 100% positive that he's telling the truth.

-I think ALL reviewers should disclose 100% of their compensation, including review copies.

-I think there are way too many threads on this topic.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

Resolving item #2 above likely resolves item #3...

Or you could have simply replied to one of the several threads already open on this topic instead of making a new one...

Where are they? If they are old and buried, better to open a new one, no?

The last one you started got locked after stirring up bad blood, but apparently that made no impression on you. Or perhaps you enjoyed it and wanted more of the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

-I know Lance, I trust Lance, if Lance says he likes a game, I'm 100% positive that he's telling the truth.

-I think ALL reviewers should disclose 100% of their compensation, including review copies.

-I think there are way too many threads on this topic.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

Resolving item #2 above likely resolves item #3...

Or you could have simply replied to one of the several threads already open on this topic instead of making a new one...

Where are they? If they are old and buried, better to open a new one, no?

The last one you started got locked after stirring up bad blood, but apparently that made no impression on you. Or perhaps you enjoyed it and wanted more of the same.

I cannot help with others post. It has nothing to do with that (wanting to "stir bad blood")at all. My posts try to maintain little emotion and deal directly with the topic. If it is upsetting to some (for whatever reasons) maybe it is best they move along. If they are defending their friend and want the thread locked, I can certainly see where one could continue to troll in order to try and accomplish that.

Bottom line is I (and many others) feel that review transparency is and important issue in our hobby. I don't go seeking out issues or cases but I will discuss them here when/if I come across them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

I flagged the thread and got my post deleted for my effort. This should have been a quick lock, but alas. Going with the usual 17 pages on the over/under?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
rahdo wrote:

The rampant unfounded cynicism displayed in these threads is so disheartening, and now I've got to go and film some videos for you people but I wonder why I bother. I think I have to unsubscribe to General, because threads like these make it such a genuinely depressing place...

And this is where I just lost all respect for Rahdo.

To answer your question Richard, it's because we're paying your salary.
- Your 2016 Kickstarter Campaign raised $51,936 USD
- Your 2015 Kickstarter Campaign raised $36,621 USD
- Your 2014 Kickstarter Campaign raised $17,781 USD
- Your 2013 Kickstarter Campaign raised $4,067 USD

As of 3rd Quarter 2014, the most recent report I could find, the average wage in Malta was $16,948.45 USD ( 16,083 Euro). This means that in 2014 your Kickstarter raised the average annual salary, in 2015 it raise more than double the annual salary, and in 2016 you raised 3 times the average annual salary for Malta. (Source: http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2015-01-07/local-news...).

In four years this community has given you $110,405 USD to provide the community with unbiased reviews and play throughs. If people suspect that you are taking money from the publishers and/or designers to provide positive reviews, they have every right to call you on it. Seeing as how we have nothing to go one but your word, that you aren't taking money from the publishers, it's a fair accusation to make. So far the only refutation I've ever seen you make amounts to "Nuh uh!! Am not!!! I'm leaving because you guys don't trust some dude on the Internet that you give thousands of dollars to!"

Thanks to the generosity of the board game community that you find so offensive and cynical, you have the ability (whether you do or not, I've no idea) to live a pretty damn good life in Malta. So when you say "I wonder why I bother?" All I can think is what an absolutely arrogant, egotistical, entitled, and generally asinine statement that is to make.

I don't have anything against Rahdo, but I wanted to post something related to this topic.

We've had countless threads on how much money the Dice Tower or other board game reviewers are receiving. I, for one, am not happy about how the "board game media" game is evolving.

Recently the Secret Cabal announced that Jamie is going to try to go "full-time" through a KS. Here is what I posted:

Quote:
I wish you the best with attempting to go full-time. My biggest concern when reviewers do this is that they seem to lose the perspective shared by most of their listeners. I also think it causes reviewers to "rush" reviews in an attempt to be first to cover a particular game well before they actually understand any depth of the game. I hope and think that Jamie can avoid these pitfalls!

So while I do appreciate having videos to watch and listen to, I just generally don't like the reviewers doing this full time. I think that it puts them in this separate category from us. For example, I was listening to a blog from another reviewer, one of my favorites, and he said that he had played his #1 game three times. Repeat that THREE TIMES. He has rated this his #1 on multiple top 100 videos and he has played it all of three times. I guess people play games differently, but I have played games I don't even like more than that.

I don't want to judge, but I do feel like them reviewing "full time" just gives them a perspective that isn't really helpful to me anymore.

Almost no one on earth plays as many games as Tom Vasel or other reviewers. Almost none of us even have the time. Hell, you couldn't purchase even half of the games that he "recommends" in a year for less than $1,000. That is why I just try to avoid the full-time reviewers lately, they have a completely different perspective than people who play games as a hobby.

I guess I don't blame the reviewers for wanting to be full-time, especially when people will throw gobs of money at them to do it. I guess I would just hope that people will think about whether throwing money at these guys is actually good for the hobby. I find user reviews, from people more like me, way more helpful in determining what I will like. If you just want to see the components, look at the image gallery. If you want to get a feel for the game, read the rules PDF that almost every company posts now a days.

One thing I will throw out there is that none of this applies to Rodney Smith. He doesn't review and while I haven't yet backed his campaigns, I will when I get out of school because I find them so useful and just find him to be very professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

This is locked because I feel it is beating a very dead horse. If there is truly new territory being covered it's been drowned out by the posts rehashing well trodden ground of previous threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.