Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Mecoides
Australia
St Kilda
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played one three-player game so far, and it seems to me like the powers might be unbalanced. Now I've seen comments of people saying that it might seem like that at first, but I am eager to hear the actual arguments for this.

In our three player game, one person was saving at least 200 guilders every turn, and usually alot more (close o 1000 near the end of the game) with the favourable purchasing. And whats more they were usually buying resources just so that no-one else could get any of that resource. It seems really good,but maybe we played it wrong, or just do not look at all the benefits for the other abilities.

The other trouble I had was with the Curier. The Express Curier was not used, so the person with the regular curier could easily control all of the influence cards himself. It was practically impossible for anyone to get a card. Is this suppose to happen? I found that Broken axle came up all the time when I least wanted it, so I would always miss out on a very important sale, or even an influence card.

Please tell me if Im wrong about all of this,and explain why. I like this game, and I hope that it is balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Are the powers unbalanced
Mecoides (#26424),

You may want to read my "understanding the abilities" article. DH is different than most German games in that the players to not have the same abilities. This can seem very unbalanced if you do not play knowing this. Many of the phases allow you to interact with a specific player and if you are aware of their abilities then you can use that to your benefit.

specifically about Favorable Purchasing: This player has more money after the purchasing phase, therefore take that from them when you are Wagon Loader. There is no reason that you have to charge each player the same price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:Are the powers unbalanced
chadm (#26665),
I agree,
I think this game gets bad reviews because people were playing the rules wrong and thus having a bad gaming experience....
I do not know why it happens with this game more than others because to me the rules are very clear...
It's a bit of a shame, this game is a true gem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they are unbalanced. They are supposed to be. It's part of the game. The pairs they suggest matching up in the first few games work pretty well, but the auction is "THE WAY" to balance the game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.