4 Posts

Wacky Pirates» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Wacky Pirates - Welcome to Skull Island! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Ahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
I recently stumbled upon Wacky Pirates when reading through some game developer interviews and when I saw the gorgeous artwork, components and that it had the yahtzee style mechanism I instantly good interested and ordered the game! One thing that also caught my attention is that Wacky Pirates was developed and published by a one-man company, printed in a small limited run making this game even more unique!

I'm going to share my thoughts about Wacky Pirates and i'm assuming that you already know the basics of the game by watching the game walkthough on the developer's site or maybe even reading the rules of the game that are available here on BGG. Essentially Wacky Pirates is a fast and simple to learn competitive racing style game that uses a yahtzee mechanism.

Wacky Pirates is presented as a racing game where you move your small ships along the ocean towards Skull Island where the big treasure is. My first thought before reading the rules was that it was a racing game where you would win by reaching Skull Island, but this is not exactly the case. If you are really lucky with the dice you can actually win the game never reaching Skull Island. So the race is actually to acquire coins and not reaching the goal. But during the game more on more coins will generate up on the island, and suddenly Skull Island is a very attractive destination! I actually like the idea that racing to the island is optional and not forced by the game rules, but in the end you really want to get ahead of your opponents to reach Skull Island first to get all those valuable coins!

What I love about Wacky Pirates are the dice and the options they give you. Its a great balance of options, and often you will have a goal of what you want to do the next turn. Maybe you want to move your ship just one more space to acquire those two last silver coins to exchange them to that shiny golden coin which takes on you step closer to winning the game. But at the same time you do really want to have more rum to have the opportunity to make more re-rolls your next turn. Because you don't want to end up with those skull dice which makes you lose silver coins.

Let's talk about the quality of the components and the artwork. The game looks great! The box has great quality and has a glossy surface. The player cards have great quality and also has that thick glossy photo paper that i really like! Instead of those punch-out cardboard coins Wacky Pirates instead have big plastic plastic coins that are engraved and are painted to have that old worn feeling, they look great and makes the game even more thematic! And the best part of the game are the wooden dice where the dice faces are burnt in, looks amazing and it is really thematic.

I have played this game many times, both with adults and kids and they all really like it! Its very easy to learn game, it just takes a minute to explain the rules and you are ready to go! The only thing that I miss is more player interaction, yes you can steal coins from the other players but I would like more interaction on the actual map and between the boats that you are moving. But other than that Wacky Pirates is a game that i really like and will keep in my collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I get this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Ahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
You can order Wacky Pirates and the other games developed by Fully Analog here: http://fullyanalog.bigcartel.com/products
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks....ordered
 Thumb up