Subject: 2017 Orphans list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm guessing it's not that complicated.

The issue is going to be less about the game mechanics and more about the hundreds of simultaneous players and trying to get the tourney finished before 3am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Breza
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've been told I'm pretty good at herding cats so I'm guessing those skills might come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Love
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanhoe is crossed out on the first post. Did someone actually claim it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Love wrote:
Ivanhoe is crossed out on the first post. Did someone actually claim it?

Ashley said on Facebook that she'd submitted a form for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice is covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Reiff
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction went in last night along with wps.

We also sent in a form for Liars Dice. Stephen if you want to handle it you have at it! My daughter will also be happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer to have someone GM who has played in the tournament before and knows the traditions. I know Liar's Dice well and I did GM another event at WBC four years ago, but this will be only my second WBC and I've never played in the Liar's Dice tournament there before. So if you've got that experience you're more than welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Reiff
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen, why don't you tell Don that you will be an assistant then and you can work with Nicole and I this year and if you're comfortable doing it you can take it over next year. How's that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone taken Empire of the Sun yet?

I don't feel qualified to run two tournaments as a first-time GM, especially not a monster like EotS, but I'd really hate to see it dropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on Race for the Galaxy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
Less than two days to go and were down to 21 Century Events/Trial without a GM. Does anyone have any insight into which events have procrastinating GM and which are truly orphans? If you want to see an event on the list return, it's time to step up an submit!

EDIT 2/23 - I have struck through games for which there is a verbal pledge from a GM, although nothing is official or final until it appears on the official WBC list.

EDIT 2/27 - Updated list.

EDIT 3/8 & 3/13 - Update list

Orphans as of 3/13

Century (19)

Auction
BCY - Battle Cry
Commands & Colors Ancients
Diplomacy
Dominion
Empire Builder
Empire of the Sun (possible verbal commitment)
Ivanhoe
Julius Caesar
Liar's Dice
March Madness
Ra; The Dice Game
Rail Baron
the Russian Campaign
Settlers of Catan
Splendor
Titan
Up Front
Win, Place & Show

Trial (6)

Las Vegas
Race For the Galaxy - NEEDS NEW GM (possible commitment)

So if I read this and FB correctly, we are looking at 5 games that may have been dropped? 3 traditional wargames and 2 warish games?

It will be a real pity if Diplomacy didn't have a sponsor. I'm not allowed to GM a third game, but I would have loved to get a heat of this in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
hgman3 wrote:
Less than two days to go and were down to 21 Century Events/Trial without a GM. Does anyone have any insight into which events have procrastinating GM and which are truly orphans? If you want to see an event on the list return, it's time to step up an submit!

EDIT 2/23 - I have struck through games for which there is a verbal pledge from a GM, although nothing is official or final until it appears on the official WBC list.

EDIT 2/27 - Updated list.

EDIT 3/8 & 3/13 - Update list

Orphans as of 3/13

Century (19)

Auction
BCY - Battle Cry
Commands & Colors Ancients
Diplomacy
Dominion
Empire Builder
Empire of the Sun (possible verbal commitment)
Ivanhoe
Julius Caesar
Liar's Dice
March Madness
Ra; The Dice Game
Rail Baron
the Russian Campaign
Settlers of Catan
Splendor
Titan
Up Front
Win, Place & Show

Trial (6)

Las Vegas
Race For the Galaxy - NEEDS NEW GM (possible commitment)

So if I read this and FB correctly, we are looking at 5 games that may have been dropped? 3 traditional wargames and 2 warish games?

It will be a real pity if Diplomacy didn't have a sponsor. I'm not allowed to GM a third game, but I would have loved to get a heat of this in.

It's always possible someone submitted a form and didn't publicize it. I think last year there were only two events in the end which were true Orphans. I stopped keeping track of the verbals over the last 24 hours or so. They were coming in so fast and furious, it was hard to keep track of. But also, I did not want to mark an event with a verbal commit which would discourage someone else from submitting. I'd rather have two GMs submit for the same event than one say they will and then not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:

Rumour in the Titan forum is that there is a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend who was planning on submitting for RftG decided they couldn't commit to it (or find AGMs), so it may be dropped, unless someone else came through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Commnad & Colors was being taken care of.

I will be shocked if Diplomacy and The Russian Campaign don't get a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be likewise shocked about those two. Is this Titan: the Arena, or a different game just named Titan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
I'd be likewise shocked about those two. Is this Titan: the Arena, or a different game just named Titan?

Titan and Titan: The Arena are two very different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:

Given your knowledge of AH games, I am surprised you don't know they are different games.

Titan is Monster Slugathon where players move "legions" (i.e. stacks) of creatures over the master board (which spaces with specific terrain connecting paths in a intricate way) by rolling 1 die and moving 1 or more legions that number of space, recruiting new ones in appropriate terrain and if they land in a space with an enemy legion, battle on a separate battle board (based on the terrain--creatures in their native terrain have advantages in combat.) The combat system if rolling buckets' o' dice. Each player has a Titan, who gets stronger as the layer wins more battles, but whose loss causes elimination. It can take many hours to play.

Titan: the Arena
aka Colossal Arena is a Reiner Knizia card game where players place bets on various monsters surviving rounds of battle. (Being a German game, the creature is killed by having the lowest untied card played on it when all surviving creatures have had a card played on it during the round. After 5 rounds, any bets the on surviving creatures are worth points based on how early the bets were made. It takes about an hour to play.

About the only real connection is the creatures in the former are reused in the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
A friend who was planning on submitting for RftG decided they couldn't commit to it (or find AGMs), so it may be dropped, unless someone else came through

Oh no. I definitely know someone who didn't submit because someone else (presumably your friend) said they would.

They really needed to say yesterday that they changed their mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI I submitted RTFG just in case no one else did, and was told by Don that someone else did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The final results are in and it looks like only Empire of the Sun went unclaimed among the Century and Trial Events
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
The final results are in and it looks like only Empire of the Sun went unclaimed among the Century and Trial Events

Bugger. I would have taken that one if I'd known, but I was told someone else had it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there ever an issue with multiple users submitting as a GM for the same game? As in, is there a discussion on who can after the deadline, or does it get disqualified?

Just curious, because I have never observed the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Is there ever an issue with multiple users submitting as a GM for the same game? As in, is there a discussion on who can after the deadline, or does it get disqualified?

Just curious, because I have never observed the process.

I think, after the deadline, it gets replaced with an alternate trial game. My understanding is that it would be replaced with a game that is similar to the one that was dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.