Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Is there ever an issue with multiple users submitting as a GM for the same game? As in, is there a discussion on who can after the deadline, or does it get disqualified?

Just curious, because I have never observed the process.

I think, after the deadline, it gets replaced with an alternate trial game. My understanding is that it would be replaced with a game that is similar to the one that was dropped.

Replacements aren't based on votes? That seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Is there ever an issue with multiple users submitting as a GM for the same game? As in, is there a discussion on who can after the deadline, or does it get disqualified?

Just curious, because I have never observed the process.

I think, after the deadline, it gets replaced with an alternate trial game. My understanding is that it would be replaced with a game that is similar to the one that was dropped.

Sorry, but my question wasn't clear or I'm not grasping the answer. Could be both. Let me rephrase it.

What happens when an event receives multiple GM applications via the official GM Request/submission process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either they take the first valid application or they select the applicant that they want to run it. I don't personally understand that process. I would be interested in knowing the answer to that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
I think either they take the first valid application or they select the applicant that they want to run it. I don't personally understand that process. I would be interested in knowing the answer to that one.

It was my understanding the one of the critera was the quality of the submission i.e. which prospective GM put more thought into the submission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
It has happened.

Where I was involved there was a polite discussion backstage.

I can't imagine it happens very often, usually I think if there is popular game and the usual gm confirms late.

It's not to be something worth arguing about, it's only going to be a serious issue if there are very different ways to run the tournament, one isn't obviously better and the people concerned have strong opinions on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilphe wrote:
It has happened.

Where I was involved there was a polite discussion backstage.

I can't imagine it happens very often, usually I think if there is popular game and the usual gm confirms late.

It's not to be something worth arguing about, it's only going to be a serious issue if there are very different ways to run the tournament, one isn't obviously better and the people concerned have strong opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

I was just trying to understand the reasoning of why some said they would have submitted an application for certain games, but they thought someone else already was, so they didn't.

Therefore, I was wondering if there was a reason they wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Greenwood
United States
Bel Air
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In reply to the comments here:

When two or more submissions are received for the same event (sadly, a rare occurrence) the CD makes the choice based on the order in which they were received and the quality of the submission. Experienced GMs with a good track record are apt to win ties, but being first carries a lot of weight since procrastination carries with it the assumption that the effort is coerced primarily out of fear the event will not be run otherwise. Reluctant GMs generally are less effective (and prepared) than enthusiastic ones. Regardless of one's track record, those who wait till the last day to commit are apt to find themselves replaced if for no other reason than it is unfair to others to offer such tantalizing vacancies only to turn them down for a later submission. At least, that is how I did it. The next CD may have different priorities.

As to which alternates are used as replacements, again it is the CD's choice. He may be guided by membership vote totals but he is not restricted by them. The membership got its say for 25 continuing trials, but the CD makes the choice for any slot that fails to produce a GM commitment. For this final step in the selection process, the CD should step back and make a judgement based on the quality of the Alternate commitments and the overall offerings of the schedule. If a particular genre is under represented in the offerings, it should be given special consideration for balance. No consideration at all is given to replacing a dropped game with a similar game. Quite the contrary ... if the schedule already has a similar event in format, subject and game system then it is a poor choice to receive an alternate slot where it will just serve as competition for the sister event.

In the case of Sponsored events, all bets are off. The choice of replacement remains in the control of the Sponsor. It is interesting the number of sponsors who choose not to choose an event. Apparently, I am not the only believer in "less is more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if a game is orphaned, can it come back the next year? Will Empire of the Sun stay on the century list even though no one volunteered to GM it this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it could still be sponsored this year. If not sponsored then next year it would need a sponsor or successful trial vote. After a year of either scenario it could return to the century with successful attendance (and GM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
I believe it could still be sponsored this year. If not sponsored then next year it would need a sponsor or successful trial vote. After a year of either scenario it could return to the century with successful attendance (and GM).

I think the Mar 15 deadline was for sponsors as well. I don't think it can be an event this year.

So it would need a GM to submit it into the trial vote for next year (Or have a GM submit a form and find a sponsor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
TrimChris wrote:

I think the Mar 15 deadline was for sponsors as well. I don't think it can be an event this year.

So it would need a GM to submit it into the trial vote for next year (Or have a GM submit a form and find a sponsor.

My source on this was the 2nd paragraph of the update on Friday:

"Although we are now accepting only sponsored tournaments in the time remaining, we will continue to schedule seminars, demonstrations and meetings until the scheduling process is complete in May so anyone interested in providing same should contact CD@boardgamers.org for details. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
The final results are in and it looks like only Empire of the Sun went unclaimed among the Century and Trial Events

It looks like Empire of the Sun is in as a sponsored trial event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.