Subject: Common Mistakes and Overlooked Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's collect some. I start with our group.
In our first couple games we completely forgot the monster attack modifier deck.
You are only allowed one potion (small item) at level 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a lot in here: How have you messed up/missread the rules? How much has it impacted your game?

Some popular ones:
* Playing with the modifier decks in the character boxes, rather than the base decks
* Gaining XP per monster killed
* Monsters not dropping coins
* Carrying multiple potions (as you mentioned)
* Playing at the wrong difficulty level, eg forgetting to halve the players' average level
* Thinking you can unbox, pop and sort the tokens and still run the first scenario in a single night (or was this just me?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null combat (and Curse) cards are not MISSES. They reduce attack damage to zero. If the attack card would apply a condition (such as poison, wound, muddle etc) it still DOES, providing the enemy doesn't already have that condition.

Abilities on Character (and monster) action cards are done (or ignored) in the order printed. So if it lists MOVE followed by ATTACK, you can move and then attack or attack and NOT move, but you can't attack and then move and nor can monsters.

You can negate all damage from a single ATTACK (but not conditions applied by the attack such as poison etc) by LOSING one card from your hand or two cards from your discard pile.

Abilities on monster action cards don't activate until triggered by their initiative. So if they have for example SHIELD or RETALIATE and your character acts earlier in the round than them, their abilities are not active.

Bless and Curse cards are single use and removed from the combat deck after they appear. This does not apply to the standard Null and X2 cards which instead trigger a re-shuffle and stay in the deck. Remember to 'clean' battle decks at the end of a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vviandelle
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Forgetting you can discard a card from your hand or 2 of your discarded cards
- Monster turn : Elite first, basics in numeral order second
- Shields mitigate damages from attacks only, not from for example "...deal 1 damage to each ennemy"
- Nothing blocks LOS except walls
- You can move through allies, not through monsters except with jump/fly
- If you draw a Null or x2 with a shuffle symbol, you shuffle the modifier deck at the end of the action phase, not right now
- When opening doors, draw monster cards corresponding to the monster appearing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:

In our first couple games we completely forgot the monster attack modifier deck.

Ditto.

Well, only for half of the first scenario, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
philmcd wrote:

You can negate all damage from a single ATTACK (but not conditions such as poison etc) by LOSING one card from your hand or two cards from your discard pile.

The rulebook doesn't make this distinction, unless it's clarified somewhere else. It states "Whenever any damage is dealt to a character..." they may lose cards. If this is not correct, then I cheated my way through the last few rounds of a scenario the other night when my MT was on 1hp, had 'Wound' and no way of healing and so was losing a card at the start of every round (and didn't want to long rest cos we were nearly done).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Moekel
msg tools
MrTroy wrote:

* Monsters not dropping coins

Have been over the rules several times, where does it state that monsters drop coins? What's the exact rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just use ctrl-F "money token" and you'll find it. It's on page 20, last sentence of the paragraph above advantage and disadvantage: "a money token is also placed on the hex where it died."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Alexandru Dragoi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
EASY TO MISS RULES:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25079196#25079196
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Moekel
msg tools
Thank you very much, literally skipped over that part the 3 times I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:
There's quite a lot in here: How have you messed up/missread the rules? How much has it impacted your game?
* Gaining XP per monster killed

Wait, wait, so it's NOT according to the rules to get XP for killing monsters, right? The mistake is to assume that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian S
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Celdorad wrote:

Wait, wait, so it's NOT according to the rules to get XP for killing monsters, right? The mistake is to assume that?

Correct. You don't get XP for killing monsters and it is a mistake to assume so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerronz wrote:
philmcd wrote:

You can negate all damage from a single ATTACK (but not conditions such as poison etc) by LOSING one card from your hand or two cards from your discard pile.

The rulebook doesn't make this distinction, unless it's clarified somewhere else. It states "Whenever any damage is dealt to a character..." they may lose cards. If this is not correct, then I cheated my way through the last few rounds of a scenario the other night when my MT was on 1hp, had 'Wound' and no way of healing and so was losing a card at the start of every round (and didn't want to long rest cos we were nearly done).

I think that is a useful additional point, but doesn't invalidate what I said, which was mainly pointing out that it doesn't cancel a condition (like poison) applied by an attack. It negates damage (which in most cases will be from an attack) only. I haven't come across the situation that you mention yet, but it will be useful to bear in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overkongen99 wrote:
Celdorad wrote:

Correct. You don't get XP for killing monsters and it is a mistake to assume so.

Several people have mentioned getting XP from killing monsters, but I'm at a loss to know where they would get the stat for how much XP to apply? It's not in the rules and it doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
overkongen99 wrote:
Celdorad wrote:

Several people have mentioned getting XP from killing monsters, but I'm at a loss to know where they would get the stat for how much XP to apply? It's not in the rules and it doesn't happen.

Well, it is something you get used to by playing to many rpg's/dungeon crawlers. I'm just happy that I didn't screwed that up too (I forgot the money drop)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celdorad wrote:
philmcd wrote:
overkongen99 wrote:
Celdorad wrote:

Well, it is something you get used to by playing to many rpg's/dungeon crawlers. I'm just happy that I didn't screwed that up too (I forgot the money drop)...

I agree, I assumed that too until I read the rules. But once again, where would you find an XP value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When leveling up you only take one of the two new ability cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

You can negate all damage from a single ATTACK (but not conditions applied by the attack such as poison etc) by LOSING one card from your hand or two cards from your discard pile.

Dang it!! 6-7 games in (won 2) and we've been losing 1 (or 2) cards PER DAMAGE! Grrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Dynalange129 wrote:
When leveling up you only take one of the two new ability cards

Well, instead of taking one of the two new, you could also take a lower level one which you skipped before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
If you're in town, you don't need to pull a road event for scenarios in Gloomhaven ("links: Gloomhaven"). There are also scenarios outside of Gloomhaven with "links: Gloomhaven" that do not require a road event to travel to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- As our first scenario, our group did a random dungeon. As such, we encountered enemies with the flying trait. We mistakenly overlooked the fact that they were flying for a few rounds on account of the flying icon shown beside the name of the enemy. It's not shown in the image detailing enemy cards in the rulebook though it is mentioned in the paragraph above the image.

- Also, don't forget to shuffle up the enemy action cards (deck and discard) whenever the shuffle symbol comes up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eluvitar wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Dang it!! 6-7 games in (won 2) and we've been losing 1 (or 2) cards PER DAMAGE! Grrrr.

Wow, that's some masochistic streak you have there. Difficulty level OUCH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
- As our first scenario, our group did a random dungeon. As such, we encountered enemies with the flying trait. We mistakenly overlooked the fact that they were flying for a few rounds on account of the flying icon shown beside the name of the enemy. It's not shown in the image detailing enemy cards in the rulebook though it is mentioned in the paragraph above the image.

- Also, don't forget to shuffle up the enemy action cards (deck and discard) whenever the shuffle symbol comes up!

I was going to start with a random dungeon to get the feel of things, but Isaac said not to as scenario 1 is intended to be a tutorial in terms of difficulty. Still failed it at the first attempt, partly cos we overlooked things like being able to negate damage by losing card(s) and forgetting that monster defensive abilities like shield and retaliate only become active when their initiative is triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I assume that is the M deck that has the +2, +1, 0, etc cards? Just want to make sure I am not missing something which is a distinct possibility in a game that has what seems about 10,000 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wray wrote:
Quote:

I assume that is the M deck that has the +2, +1, 0, etc cards? Just want to make sure I am not missing something which is a distinct possibility in a game that has what seems about 10,000 cards.

The M, 1, 2, 3, 4 decks should all have the same contents as detailed at the top of pg. 5 in the rule book, so yes, those cards sound right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.