Subject: 7Springs minimum stay requirement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Shingara
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just saw that the BPA signed a 10 year contract for 7S. I guess this means I need to find another con for the next 10 years. It appears that if you can't take 10 days vacation to attend they don't want you. The hotel at the other resort is a laughable option as it is a long drive with no shuttle service. What a shame as I truly enjoyed my Thursday through Sunday visits at WBC. I don't like change, but I guess this forces me to Origins or Gen Con.

For the people that do attend for 10 days this is wonderful news for them I'm sure. However, very limited lodging and food options make this a poor choice for us lowly commuters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wonderworker wrote:
Just saw that the BPA signed a 10 year contract for 7S. I guess this means I need to find another con for the next 10 years. It appears that if you can't take 10 days vacation to attend they don't want you. The hotel at the other resort is a laughable option as it is a long drive with no shuttle service. What a shame as I truly enjoyed my Thursday through Sunday visits at WBC. I don't like change, but I guess this forces me to Origins or Gen Con.

For the people that do attend for 10 days this is wonderful news for them I'm sure. However, very limited lodging and food options make this a poor choice for us lowly commuters.

I'll admit the food options are a bit on the low side, but the facility is SOOOO much better. I take it you are unable to commute in by car from an outside hotel each day? I only ask as that is what I do, and the 15 minute drive is not bad, really, especially given the deal I am getting. There is lots of onsite parking at 7S, so that can't be the problem.

Either way we'll miss you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The hotel at the other resort is a laughable option as it is a long drive with no shuttle service. What a shame as I truly enjoyed my Thursday through Sunday visits at WBC. I don't like change, but I guess this forces me to Origins or Gen Con.

What about the one-bedroom condos? Isn't that the same price as the hotel?

They are about 5 min away and have shuttle service.

Quote:
However, very limited lodging and food options make this a poor choice for us lowly commuters.

I really think people are just focusing on the hotel and then looking to Somerset and Donegal. Again, aren't the one-bedroom condos the same price as the hotel rooms?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shingara
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure about the condo cost as the short stay booking window doesn't open until tomorrow. Perhaps I'll give it a try. I was local to the Host so the move West was a big deal for me. The potential lack of short stay hotel and food options was just added misery. I have religious dietary restrictions so a remote location is difficult. The condo with kitchen may solve both problems for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The booking window only applies to the hotel attached to the convention center, not condos - you can call for those now. They were open for booking immediately in order to lessen demand on the hotel. My recollection was that they were comparably in price to the hotel.

Air BnB might be another option for nearby condos, I've read of some using that.

There are tons of condos at the top of the ski hill - the commute would be like a few minutes and zero traffic . Not even a traffic light !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
The hotel at the other resort is a laughable option as it is a long drive with no shuttle service. What a shame as I truly enjoyed my Thursday through Sunday visits at WBC. I don't like change, but I guess this forces me to Origins or Gen Con.

What about the one-bedroom condos? Isn't that the same price as the hotel?

They are about 5 min away and have shuttle service.

Quote:
However, very limited lodging and food options make this a poor choice for us lowly commuters.

I really think people are just focusing on the hotel and then looking to Somerset and Donegal. Again, aren't the one-bedroom condos the same price as the hotel rooms?

Kevin

Yep, a one bedroom condo prices out the same as the hotel. Really, Seven Springs has hotel, condos and chalets. The overflow location is Hidden Valley. Then you have a smattering of inns and lodges going out from Seven Springs towards Somerset and Donegal. Then Somerset and Donegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Hidden Valley was overflow for the hotel itself. I don't think the condos at the top of the hill - which are only minutes away - are sold out - I'd be surprised if that was the case. There are hundreds of them up there .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderworker wrote:
Just saw that the BPA signed a 10 year contract for 7S [...] For the people that do attend for 10 days this is wonderful news for them I'm sure.

I am one of those people, and it is indeed wonderful news. Just to be entirely selfish, if this con is catering to people like me--that want to come for a long, long stay--then I am very happy about that.

I don't wish to see others have their fun taken away from them. But still, I feel like there are a ton of options all around the country for people interested in Long-Weekend Cons.

If one of the (many) ways that WBC is looking to differentiate itself from the crowd is by catering to gamers looking for the whole-week experience, those efforts have my full support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
My understanding is that Hidden Valley was overflow for the hotel itself. I don't think the condos at the top of the hill - which are only minutes away - are sold out - I'd be surprised if that was the case. There are hundreds of them up there .

That's my understanding too. There are tons of condos and they have shuttle connection to the main center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The potential lack of short stay hotel and food options was just added misery.

The big issue here is budget.

Both Somerset and Donegal have tons of cheap hotels. We stayed at a Red Roof in Somerset last year for about $450 for the week. We could have done it cheaper, but I do have some standards.

Same for food in those towns. Tons of options from fast food to sit down restaurants.

The problem, of course, is that you are 25 min from the convention, so you have to plan your trips to and fro.

I decided it was worth the extra money to be on-site (condo), but if you can manage the logistics or you don't mind the traveling (I had my kids with me that didn't play all day), you can do a short stay for relatively cheap.

Yea, for sure, it isn't as convenient as Lancaster for cheap options. To stay on-site at the hotel or one of the condos will cost more than staying at a Motel 6 15 miles away.

But Don did say that he wanted to make the WBC more of a destination convention over a longer period of time. So, you are right that the WBC has changed from being super-easy for commuters to drop in to for a few days to a convention that requires more logistical planning.

I would say, though, from reading all these threads that there is a group of people that seem to be giving up without really researching all the options.

I have no real counter-argument for the cadre that says, "The WBC isn't for me anymore because it is too expensive." Got it...no more $55 hotels across the street and nothing can be done about that.

But if you don't mind the 25min drive to the convention hotel (and some clearly don't) then you have Somerset and Donegal as an option.

If you have the budget for the main hotel, then you have the budget for the one-bedroom condos. Just go on the website, take a look and call 7 Springs to make a reservation.

Again, the WBC is absolutely more expensive if you want the same geographical convenience as Lancaster. No way around that. You have to travel a bit to get the same prices on hotels we had in Lancaster.

But if you have the budget, you will have no problem staying right on site. Look into the condos and other options before you write off the WBC as not being for you anymore.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Duffy

Virginia
msg tools
I am hoping the condo will save me big bucks on food. At least breakfast will be cheaper than that buffet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pat0704 wrote:
I am hoping the condo will save me big bucks on food. At least breakfast will be cheaper than that buffet.

A quick breakfast at the coffee place was actually surprisingly reasonable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.