Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerensa Morrow-Kempf, first appeared on Episode 49
@KerensaMorrowKe

1. Introduce yourself. Where are you from? What should listeners know about you?

Greetings and salutations. My name is Kerensa Marie Anastasia Morrow-Kempf, I was born approximately one month late in Jefferson City, Missouri and not much has changed in the past 42 years. Wait that's not true. Quite a bit happened but I'll try to keep this short an sweet, like me. I was very quiet and shy as a child (saving my words for later). Attended Catholic grade school, public high school and a very small private college in St. Louis majoring in interior design/graphic communications. I believe this is where I realized there were a few other people a little like me. For the past 18 years I've worked for Social Services, nothing near my field of study. For the past 15 years, I've been married to Brandon Kempf. We have two beautiful and funny girls. Gabriella and AnnaBeth. My hobbies include doing my best to beat Brandon at board games, gaming with family, singing Karaoke, and most recently, roller skating. Every spare moment, I attempt to raise two respectful young ladies who are confident and comfortable in who they are. My hope is that our kids always make others feel comfortable being themselves (as long as the others are not jerks.)

2. What games or types of games are you interested in?

Deck builders appeal to me. I also like tile placement games. Most anything that removes us from the clamorous, "plugged in" world in which we live.

3. Do you have a favorite game or games you enjoy most?

Legendary and Clank have been very good to me. I enjoy playing Carcassonne with Brandon. Pandemic: Legacy is my favorite family time game. T.I.M.E. Stories was great weekend game with Brad, Kate and Brandon.

4. What are some of the most memorable experiences have you had with tabletop board games in the past?

In 2015, I triumphed in Geekway to the West, Battling Tops. Although I'm about 12 inches too short to ever know, I'm pretty sure becoming Battling Tops Champion felt better than being crowned Miss America. It was fun to see my cartoon self on the Battle Tops poster in 2016. Being a part of the What Did You Play This Week podcast is quite an experience as well. The board game community is like no other. I struggled with defining it and found two quotes that I like equally. "My idea of good company is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company." ~ Jane Austen and "You never realize how weird your friends are until you start describing them to other people." ~ Unknown

5. What is the focus of your WDYPTW segment?

Making Brandon sweat about what I might say next. Oh, yeah, encouraging others to board game with family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, her focus on the show is to make me sweat about what she says next? Seems that she forgets I edit the show and our segment, even though sometimes it may seem like we don't. I don't stop recording when we talk, so sometimes there is 5 minutes of conversation with the kids, or even talking to the dogs, lol.

Kerensa was on the show well before Wk 49, but that was the week that we started talking together on the show regularly, as in every week almost.

Kerensa is the life blood of this show, quite literally. Without her saying okay, you can have Sundays every week to put together this show, it probably wouldn't be done. And honestly, if she hadn't started sitting down with me and recording, I'm not sure how long I would have kept going with it as well. It's nice to sit down and talk with your best friend about a hobby that you share & love, bonus if that best friend also happens to be your wife.

She doesn't frequent BGG, she has an account, but I don't know if she has ever logged on without me prompting her, lol and I gotta do something about her not having a WDYPTW Microbadge and only flying the Cabal one!!

K MK
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great answers here! Nice choices in games, and I love the part about making Brandon sweat about what you are going to say next.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always glad to hear more about the gang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You and Brandon have nice on-air chemistry, not sure that bodes well for the off-air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coberly
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerensa,

Did you get Brandon into board games, or did he get you into them? Or was there already a mutual love of them when you met?? I love gaming with my wife and she's getting more into it, but I'm still the instigator... I'm wondering when/if you are the instigator and actively seek out games, or of Brandon pretty much does all the research/procurement. If you are just as actively involved in it, how long did it take you to become that involved?

There's a lot of questions in there... Sorry. I love that you guys make gaming a big part of your every day family life. Game on!

-Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Cardboard Carnage Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto the sentiments you have for your wife as I do with Christy on our show. She may not be on it every episode but just her support behind the scenes is so invaluable that it would be nearly impossible to do it without her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ben! I just saw that you posted this here, I will try to get Kerensa to log in and answer tomorrow!! Sorry, I thought I had subscribed to the thread but apparently I had not!

MiniBen1 wrote:
Kerensa,

Did you get Brandon into board games, or did he get you into them? Or was there already a mutual love of them when you met?? I love gaming with my wife and she's getting more into it, but I'm still the instigator... I'm wondering when/if you are the instigator and actively seek out games, or of Brandon pretty much does all the research/procurement. If you are just as actively involved in it, how long did it take you to become that involved?

There's a lot of questions in there... Sorry. I love that you guys make gaming a big part of your every day family life. Game on!

-Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Ben, we tackled your question on the show instead of me making Kerensa log in here, haha. Enjoy!!

MiniBen1 wrote:
Kerensa,

-Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coberly
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Week 119 is next up on my listening schedule! Thanks, Brandon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.