Subject: Competitive Solo Variant (fan made)... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unofficial solo variant for Villages of Valeria.

REVISION 04
01/15/2018
This variant for Villages of Valeria is a modified version of the solo rules found in the Base Game and will use only base game components. Listed below are the modifications I have made.
NOTE: When playing this variant, make sure to replace all instances of the word Discard with the word Trash.

SETUP
-Choose a Castle Card for yourself the solo Player Aid (optional) setting the Castle Card on the table in front of you and the Player Aid to the side for reference.

-Choose a Castle Card for the BOT and place it above your play area within reach. Return the rest of the Castle Cards to the box.

-Set out the Action Selection Card within reach.

-Take 22 Gold, placing 3 on your Castle Card, 7 on the BOTs Castle Card, 4 next to the Action Selection Card, and 8 on the table within reach creating a supply for the Bank. Return the rest of the Gold to the box.

-Shuffle the Building Cards face down and randomly select 41 cards, returning the rest to the box unseen. Place the chosen 41 Building Cards face down in the center of the table forming your Building Deck.

-Remove the Butcher, Knight, and Monk Adventurer Cards and choose any number of them to place under the BOTs Castle Card to select the BOTs Difficulty Level:

Easy- 1 Card
Normal- 2 Cards
Hard- 3 Cards

Place the chosen Adventurer Cards under the Bots Castle Card like you would a resource to where only the Icon and VPs at the top of the cards is visible, then shuffle the remaining Adventurer Cards along with any not placed under the BOTs Castle Card face down to create your Adventurer Deck. Place this deck near the Buildings Deck (preferable below).

-Draw 6 cards from the top of the Building Deck to form your hand.

-Chose a card from your hand to Develop a Resource at no cost.

-Reveal the top 5 cards of the Building Deck placing them to the right of the deck. This will form your Building Pool.

-Reveal the top 5 cards of the Adventurer Deck placing them to the right of the deck. This will form your Adventurer Pool.

GAMPLAY
You will begin the game as the Start Player and will alternate turns with the BOT until there are no more cards left in the Building Deck. When the last card of the building deck is drawn the player who drew the final card will finish their turn completely at which point the game will end and final scores will be tallied.

Player Actions
On your turn you choose an action from the Action Selection Card and place one of the four gold pieces resting next to the card onto the action that you are taking. Each action space on the card can hold a max. of 2 Gold. When it is your turn to select an action and you have no Gold left to place on the Action Selection Card, instead, reset the card by removing all Gold from the it and proceed with choosing an action for your turn.
The BOT will not take any follow actions after you resolve your chosen action.

Harvest:
Draw 3 Cards from the top pf the Building Deck unless it would exceed a hand limit of 8 then only draw cards until you have 8 in hand.

Develop:
Trash a card from your hand to Develop a Resource. If you can not Trash a card from your hand you may not take this action.

Build:
Spend Resources available to you by covering the Gold Icon with a Gold piece from your Castle Card to pay for the building cost of a Building Card in your hand then you MUST draw one card from the top of the Building Deck.
On your next turn instead of placing the Gold spent on resources back on your Castle Card, shift them over to cover the Resource Icons. This Gold is not able to be used this round and will be moved to your Castle Card during your next turn.

Recruit:
Pay 2 Gold to add an Adventurer from the Adventurer Pool to your Village.

Tax:
Take 1 Gold from the Bank and draw 1 Building Card from the top of the Building Deck.

Special Powers:
Special Powers are utilized as normal but since the BOT does not have a hand from which to take cards, if a Special Power would allow you to take a card from an opponent you may instead draw a single card from the top of the Building Deck (this is optional).

BOT Action
On the BOTs turn, for its action, it will reveal the top card of the Building Deck and resolve a Special Action based on the icon shown in the top left corner of the card.

BOT Special Actions

Worker Icon (Hammer)- The BOT trashes the top of both the Building and Adventurer Deck.

Shadow Icon (Key and Dagger)- The BOT steals one Gold from your Castle Card and places it on its own.
-The BOT, like the player, can only have a max. of 7 Gold on its Castle Card.
-If gaining Gold to the BOTs Castle Card this way would exceed 7, the Gold is trashed instead.
-If you have no Gold on your Castle Card when resolving this Special Action the BOT does nothing.

Soldier Icon (Helmet)- BOT trashes one Building Card from your Village showing the lowest printed VP. After trashing a Building check to make sure your Village still meets the requirements to have any Adventurers it may contain. If not, trash the Adventurers that you no longer meet the requirements for as well.
-If you have one or more buildings tied for lowest VP you may choose which Building to trash.

Holy Icon (Wings)- BOT takes a single gold piece from the Bank and places it on its Castle Card.
-If gaining Gold this way would exceed 7 the Gold is not collected and nothing happens.

-After resolving the BOTs Special Action check to see if the BOT has this Building already its Village.
-If the BOT does already have this Building in its Village the BOT spends one Gold from its Castle Card to build this Building.
-If the BOT do already have this Building in its Village the BOT trashes the Building Card.
-The BOT, like the player, can only have a single copy of each building in its Village.
-If the BOT, can not spend a Gold from its Castle Card the Building Card is trashed.

ADDITIONAL RULES
-When spending resources you may use the BOTs wild resource found on its Castle Card. If you do the Gold on the BOTs wild resource will be put onto the BOTs Castle Card on the BOTs next turn.
-If gaining Gold to the BOTs Castle Card this way would exceed 7, the Gold is trashed instead.

-A player (as a free action) may trash a Gold to from his or her Castle Card to trash either the entire Adventurer or Building Pool and replenish the pool from the appropriate deck.

END GAME SCORING
The game ends when there are no more cards left in the Building Deck. When the last card of the building deck is drawn the player who drew the final card will finish their turn completely at which point you will tally both yours and the BOTs score.

Player Scoring
Total VP on Building Cards.
Total VP on Adventurer Cards.
Total VP for Special Powers on either Building or Adventurer Cards.
1VP for each Gold on your Castle Card (Gold used for resources are not considered on your Castle Card.)

Player Scoring
Total VP on Building Cards.
Total VP on Adventurer Cards (Cards under Castle Card.)
Total VP for Special Powers Building Cards.
1VP for each Gold on BOTs Castle Card.
1VP for each symbol on Building Cards matching the symbols found on the Adventurer Cards under the BOTs Castle Card.

Please feel free to give all the feedback and opinions you like as any additional help with this variant would be welcome. I hope to make this an enjoyable variant for all players seeking a more Competitive Solo challenge for this game.
As always if you have an idea that would make the variant better I will keep revising to make this the most enjoyable experience it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Solo Challenge Card...
Yeah do something now for Valeria Card kingdoms solo mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stack would contain the same number of cards as a normal solo game (as well there would be no discarding but rather trashing/exiling of cards as is also done in a normal solo game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David @DailyMagicGames
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
On the surface, it looks ok, but if the Duke is helping you draw down the deck, you may find that you need a larger deck than the 35 cards in the official solo variant.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with this solo-play mode and hope you develop it into something other will also enjoy.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WDavidMac wrote:
On the surface, it looks ok, but if the Duke is helping you draw down the deck, you may find that you need a larger deck than the 35 cards in the official solo variant.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with this solo-play mode and hope you develop it into something other will also enjoy.

David

I am anxious to see as well and I will defiantly keep an eye on deck size when I do my play testing of this variant, thank you for the advise.
The tracking information says that my copy of the base game (with the 2 expansions) will be delivered to me by Friday so that means an entire weekend dedicated to playing and tweaking this variant. I CAN'T WAIT I should have news/updates to report by Monday. Until then I am impatiently waiting for this game to arrive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motoningennoken wrote:
Meant to try this today and found 2 major issues :

- The duke won't be able to draw a hero since they are in a separate pile.
- With only 7 gold available in solo, too many thief cards would leave a player without any source of gold.

Thank you for bringing this up, as stated in the original post this variant could swing wildly off course until I receive my official copy and play through it this weekend haha.

As for your first question my thought was during set up you chose the difficulty of the Duke by choosing from the Butcher, Knight, Monk, or Paladin (or any combination of the 4 / and example of easy mode would be to chose the Paladin where insanity mode would be all 4 Adventurers) and the Duke starts with these Adventurers in play. Thus these would be the only Adventurers the Duke would receive throughout the entire game so no need to choose more from the Adventurer deck.
Also the thought was that this would help you with your strategy knowing how he will be gaining points throughout the game.

As for your second point from what I can gather there are 30 gold that come with the game and there are 72 building cards (averaging 18 of them with the Shadow symbols give or take a couple). So on average (or in a really upsetting game haha) at least 18 gold can be stolen from you so in this respect you are correct and it looks like there needs to be more Gold in this variant. What is your opinion on how much Gold should be present in this variant or to rephrase how much gold is the bare minimum that you feel a player can work with? Also how much gold is present in a 2 player game as this is really what the A.I. is trying to simulate?

Let me know if my answer to your first point makes the variant more viable and also your opinions on the second answer. Thank you for the input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP updated today for clarity and professional variant look. Also updated some of the Duke abilities. (still can't upload new Duke Card for some reason but I will figure it out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised challenge card uploaded with current A.I. abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made some big changes today and play tested a lot. I feel it is quite good now and you need nothing more than a print out of these rules and the core box to get started (for the hardest difficulty the Monuments Expansion Pack will be needed for the Captain Adventurer Card). Can't wait to hear feedback from people who test revision 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone had a chance to play this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh dempsey
China
西安
陕西
flag msg tools
"How many lights do you see?"
badge
"There... are... FOUR... lights!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played your solo variant, which I admit before playing didn't seem so good. However, after playing it once on easy against the Butcher I liked it. I barely pulled a victory 25-24 (The Butcher got really lucky and drew a Worker card nearly every turn).

I will play it several more times before commenting on the actual game play of your ruleset. I did however noticed a few naming inconsistencies in your rules that could make learning a bit confusing.

At first you refer to the A.I. as the AI Castle, then all of a sudden refer to it as the Duke without stating that it will be called so. You might want to mention this name change right away to avoid confusion.

Also, again in the first half of the rules you refer to the AI Castles village, and placing buildings in its village. Then later refer to it as the tableau.

These are just some minor changes, but still I think could help. After I play with these rules some more I'll try and give some constructive criticism to the actual gameplay.

Thanks for your efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhashiya wrote:
Just played your solo variant, which I admit before playing didn't seem so good. However, after playing it once on easy against the Butcher I liked it. I barely pulled a victory 25-24 (The Butcher got really lucky and drew a Worker card nearly every turn).

I will play it several more times before commenting on the actual game play of your ruleset. I did however noticed a few naming inconsistencies in your rules that could make learning a bit confusing.

At first you refer to the A.I. as the AI Castle, then all of a sudden refer to it as the Duke without stating that it will be called so. You might want to mention this name change right away to avoid confusion.

Also, again in the first half of the rules you refer to the AI Castles village, and placing buildings in its village. Then later refer to it as the tableau.

These are just some minor changes, but still I think could help. After I play with these rules some more I'll try and give some constructive criticism to the actual gameplay.

Thanks for your efforts!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have revised the rules and hope they are more clear now. Please keep up the feedback if you feel this variant could be better in any way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the solo variant and with 16 cards left in the deck I had the following situation:

AI had 10 points with 5 buildings. AI was the Knight

I had only been able to build twice total due to the limitation of building only once every 5 turns. Both buildings were destroyed with the soldier action.

I don't see how it's possible to win with approximately 4-5 player build actions allowed THE ENTIRE GAME. If I'm reading the rules correctly the AI will always build with the worker symbol and will always destroy your buildings with the soldier symbol. You can't win with so few builds allowed.

Question about Worker symbol second card draw: Does the second drawn card also trigger it's effect based on the symbol? I.e., it would steal gold if the shadow symbol is drawn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great feedback and thank you for testing this variant and as explained in the OP it is not perfect yet but corrections and comments like this will soon make it a great way to play this game solo. First off I would like to ask you if you have any recommendations to the situations you ran into?

To your first comment maybe we need to change the gold pieces by the action card to have 3 pieces in place of 4 this would allow you to build more often and refresh the action board sooner what are your thoughts?

To comment on your rules question yes the second card from a worker effect would trigger unless it is another worker card in which case it is either built or discarded as you cannot keep drawing card after card.

I have also been thinking a lot about win conditions. Something to the effect of if you score so many points before the buildings deck runs out you win automatically or something similar. What are your thoughts here?

Once I hear back from you and we hatch this out I will revise the rules and we will be one step closer to making this a better variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls