Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
art cohen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When playing Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers for the first time, it was hard not to notice that there are two rules that are notably different from the original game. I'm wondering if anyone has adapted ("retrofitted"?) those rules to the original.

The first is the rule concerning two-tile forests (i.e., cities, in the old game). In H&G, these are worth the full four points, instead of the two they would earn in the original game.

This makes sense to me, because in H&G, you get an extra bonus for completing a larger forest -- the extra tile you get for a gold nugget. You don't need the disincentive of lower points to dissuade people from building a ton of tiny forests.

The other rule, though, is more curious to me: the rule about how to count rivers/forests that come through the same tile twice. In the original game, cities and roads that occupy two parts of the same tile (e.g. two city caps that attach to the same city) only count as "one tile" for scoring purposes. In H&G, you count forest segments or river segments rather than tiles, so the same formation would count as double.

Anyone have any insight on why this was changed for the new game? Has anyone retrofitted this rule to the old game? Part of the reason I'm asking is that I've taught (and continue to teach) Carcassonne to a lot of friends, and I'd hate to confuse them with these minor rule variations if they don't play either version as much as I do.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules from H
scratchie (#26510),

The four-point/two-tile city rule is official for the original Carcassonne as well, through the game errata (which also includes changes to farmer scoring).

I wasn't even aware that various of the games counted tiles and segments. I just count tiles in all the Carcassonne games. Using whichever you prefer as the standard is probably the way to go.

Shannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art cohen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shannona (#26514),
Interesting. Where are the errata available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scratchie (#26564),

Only in Germany, unfortunately, as Rio Grande Games has been very hesitant about "confusing" their customers.

Here's a bad translation:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=de_en&u...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.