24 Posts

The Walking Dead: All Out War» Forums » General

Subject: Best buys for dedicated Solo gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems this game is finally here in Canada. I'm definitely getting Prelude to Woodbury, but I'm curious what other boosters released are worth getting if I'm planning to only play this solo? I'm particularly enamored of Rick on the horse, but that one doesn't seem available yet.

I think long term, seeing as how I'm also getting No Sanctuary, I will eventually be proxying in plenty of TV-verse characters, but I still want to support my store and get official things where needed. I'm mostly curious about events and items. Would Days Gone By, for example, be worth getting? Would the Events in that roll into the Solo deck without too much commotion? Is there much point at all?

Thanks for any input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Days Gone Bye is a great solo purchase- it has 5 of the 6 scenarios working strictly as a solo game. Prelude is good as all 3 of it's scenarios are solo. The only issue with Prelude is the solo event deck, while easier to understand when playing solo, has "solo" marked on the card back. This becomes a problem when combining with newer expansions where their event deck does not have "solo" on them but are still needed to add to the event deck for certain scenarios. You can sleeve the cards with an opaque back and that will solve the issue but just be aware.

The Days Gone Bye scenarios have two options when setting up the survivors: one where they list out all the figures needed and another where they give you free reign to fill out X points. Some of the listed figures aren't available yet (even from those that picked up the Kickstarter) but since they give you a blanket point amount, you can fill in your list as you see fit. Rick on Horse is listed in at least one of the scenarios and Glenn is in a few as well.

Since the Farm, Prison, and Woodbury sets aren't out yet, it's hard to say how many solo scenarios they will have. Hopefully it'll be a good mix, though I'd prefer more solo missions personally :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, that's great! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm not too concerned about the "solo" mark. As long as there are more than one, I won't know which event it is.

Now, I know the Solo deck is geared towards Solo play (duh!), but will the no -solo events from DGB be easy enough to roll in? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I haven't done my research!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Cool.

Regarding the solo event deck vs normal event deck- they are exactly the same except the solo cards are reworded to remove the concept of your opponent moving zombies and instead clarifies that you move them, reminding you of the basic solo rules at the beginning rulebook. They are helpful as they save you time looking up the rulebook wording but I've been using the standard event deck just fine to run my solo games. After a while, you likely won't need the solo event deck as you'll automatically convert the "versus" event wording to solo on your own so DGB events should easily integrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm returning from the store, having purchased Prelude to Woodbury and Days Gone Bye.

Now, to recap, I am not intending to get the core game. Is this a bad idea? By not getting it, what fundamentals am I missing?

I see during a quick perusal of the DGB booklet that the scenarios involve far more stuff than I have. Extra walkers and cars are easy proxies, but survivors are gonna be sticky. At least it included two extra cards so I have 7 (with horse Rick, that'll be 8), but that's still short.

If I download the full rulebook, what should I be looking for that the P2W rulebook didn't teach me? Panic? Other things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I haven't compared both books yet (but maybe I should!) but Panic should be in the Prelude rules. What you likely lose are things like what happens when walkers are engaged to multiple survivor groups (ie. your group engages your opponent's group and walkers somehow join the party).

It gets complicated fast but you shouldn't ever encounter that in a solo game. I'd have to check when I have the rules in front of my but there are maybe some of the extra rules on creating your own survivors and other keywords that were dropped from the P2W rulebook.

Physically, you'll have everything from the Prelude set though more dice might be good to pick up. One weird thing to note is the Prelude ruler is not actually 10 inches. And like not close, it's almost a quarter inch short (top ruler is from Prelude):

(from my blog)

This actually shouldn't matter for solo play since there is no opponent and you'll always be using the same ruler but if it bothers you, I'd grab a small, flexible, tape measure and you'll be all set. All the other items like the Killzone and the Threat Marker are the same size as the core set. The ruler likely had to be shrunk to fit in the smaller P2W box.

Not getting the core set will be fine if you plan on staying solo and survivors are going to be the only thing you'll be in short supply of. The Prelude scenarios are just the Governor alone (I think, I didn't read through all of them) so you'll be fine to play those. The DGB expansion should be fine as well with exception of the last solo scenario, Chapter 5. I think that one wants about 400 points. You'll eventually get there when picking up the later expansions and there are a whole host of small survivor expansions coming out soon as well. Andrea, Shane, and Morgan boosters are all solid. The others give you some fun weaker survivors as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was assuming I'd be able to backdoor in a few proxies, but I realize finding scans of the other character cards might be complicated as it's a little... morally grey.

Still, I will play with what I have, make judicious use of the "Make your Own Character" section, and I'm sure it'll be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
You should be fine. Making your own character is fantastic. I did a co-op with about 6 friends where we made up characters (playing as ourselves) and it was a great experience. I did it with nothing more than the beta rules they released in the Kickstarter and a bunch of premade 28mm terrain and proxied zombie and survivor figures (we used Last Night on Earth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is Days Gone Bye supposed to come with Dale's RV, or is it in the core game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
none of the regular sets have any actual scenario models but DGB has the cardboard 2D template for the RV, the Tents, and the Campfire. Mantic has a scenery kit coming out for the the cars and barricades and a rumor about an RV made out of mdf or similar like Knight Models did with their SWAT van.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gurr? My DGB doesn't have the RV in it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
oh weird! the new component list put out on mantic's site doesn't have it listed either:

free rules

but there is an RV in some of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Messmer
Canada
Barrhead
Alberta
flag msg tools
Rv is in the core set only. The Days expansion has the trees, tents and all that but the rv template is a core thing. ????????????????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
mezz123456 wrote:
Rv is in the core set only. The Days expansion has the trees, tents and all that but the rv template is a core thing. ????????????????
And speaking of Dale's RV, in one of the latest videos Mantic did Ronnie shows off an MDF version of Dale's RV that Mantic is planning on offering at some point. It takes up the same table space as the flat RV template from the Core Set, but it's 3D.

Or TTCombat makes a nice MDF Atlanta RV available now:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The buildable RVs are nice. I'm going to get one in No Sanctuary, so having it in 3D isn't a problem. I just was wondering if the DGB should have included it, seeing as how the instructions in the set imply it does.

I've done a bit more cross-referencing, and it seems there is quite a bit of stuff I'm gonna need to scrounge up besides the RV, being:
2 more cars, another barricade, what exactly [Leader] means, Advanced Scenery rules, and "shooting into melee." Maybe the full starter would be smart at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Real Uberman wrote:
The buildable RVs are nice. I'm going to get one in No Sanctuary, so having it in 3D isn't a problem. I just was wondering if the DGB should have included it, seeing as how the instructions in the set imply it does.

I've done a bit more cross-referencing, and it seems there is quite a bit of stuff I'm gonna need to scrounge up besides the RV, being:
2 more cars, another barricade, what exactly [Leader] means, Advanced Scenery rules, and "shooting into melee." Maybe the full starter would be smart at this point.

To be fair, Day Gone Bye also requires figures/cards (to play the narrative scenarios with the correct characters) which even with the core set you will not have.

I can see it requiring components from the core game (it is an expansion after all) but I really think Mantic messed up by not allowing the majority of scenarios to be played out with core and DGB alone. Heck, Glenn isn't yet available even to the KS backers.

Cars, barricades, the RV can all be proxied, but without the correct character cards the narrative scenarios can't be played with the correct characters even if you proxied the figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I used the free papercraft download for my RV scenarios in DGB:

The original file is in color but I threw it into Photoshop and grayscaled it. I also messed with the size a little bit as it seemed a tad too big.

Papercraft RV

Regarding the use of other characters from other expansions, I really applaud Mantic for this. Too often, I find other publishers scared to show off their scenario creativity because they feel hamstrung by only including material from the base set and the current expansion. None of the extras are required as they also show you what point limit to set to go freeform.

It is an oversight that they didn't have Glenn or Rick on Horseback available when DGB became available but you can still use the freeform option. Also, I posted the Glenn character card that was sent to Kickstarter backers as a beta. Comparing against the other characters that were in beta and then later released, I don't much, if anything, will change:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the card. I'm torn on which, if any, expansions to buy because I don't want endless redundancy with WD:NS, but not seeing many real cards makes it hard to approximate custom ones (which I'm fine using, seeing as I'm going to be playing this 99% solo and 2% co-op).

Except Rick on Horse, which I'm 100% buying. Because it's Rick. On a horse.

EDIT: Also, I was going to not paint anything because I'm not a painter, and it makes cross-proxying less visually disruptive BUT painting these black and white is so delicious I may have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess when the selling point of an expansion is a narrative campaign, I expect to have what I need to play out that narrative campaign. Hell, having what you need to play SOME of the scenarios would be a good thing. As I posted to another topic:

Let's look at this.

The core set has: Rick, Carl, Derek, Patrick, Liam and Sandra

The Days Gone Bye expansion has: Dale, Jim, Allen and Donna

Scenario 1 needs: Rick (but not the card from core set), Morgan, and Duane.
Scenario 2 needs: Rick (not the card from core set)
Scenario 3 needs: Rick, Shane, Lori, Donna, Carol, Dale, Jim and Allen
Scenario 4 needs: Rick, Glenn
Scenario 5 needs: Rick, Carl, Lori, Shane, Dale, Jim, Allen, Donna, Glenn, Carol, Sophia, Andrea, Amy

Scenario 6 needs: Rick, Carl, Shane

So if you buy the core set and this expansion you have the needed characters for exactly NONE of the included narrative scenarios.

I submit, writing at least SOME of the scenarios to use ONLY the figures from the core set and this expansion was very possible. I also submit including the required cards in either the core set or the expansion was also possible. I also submit NOT including Liam and Sandra and Patrick and instead including characters from the scenarios was possible.

Has nothing to do with 'board game mentality' vs 'minis game mentality'. Heck, some of the needed characters are not even available yet. Why the hell would you write scenarios for them at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
jakecarol wrote:
I guess when the selling point of an expansion is a narrative campaign, I expect to have what I need to play out that narrative campaign.
In this specific case though, "the narrative" is the story from the comics. It's not an alternate-reality story, so telling the actual Walking Dead comic narrative requires a large cast of characters. And we all know that producing one giant box with every single possible character wasn't economically viable.

jakecarol wrote:
I submit, writing at least SOME of the scenarios to use ONLY the figures from the core set and this expansion was very possible.
We agree here, and this is something Mantic could/should remedy via PDF download at some point. Throw buyers a bone & create a few non-canon stories specifically involving Dale, Allen, Donna, and Jim.

jakecarol wrote:
Heck, some of the needed characters are not even available yet. Why the hell would you write scenarios for them at this point?
Currently only Glenn is not available (and only necessary for as-written scenarios 4&5), and he was planned to be until people pointed out the sculpt weakness, so that omission ends up being a special case (scenarios were already done & tested before the sculpt issue forced Glenn into Wave 2.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
The Real Uberman wrote:
EDIT: Also, I was going to not paint anything because I'm not a painter, and it makes cross-proxying less visually disruptive BUT painting these black and white is so delicious I may have to.

I've been found going b/w has been super easy when painting the minis. It gets harder if you want everything to be b/w like I'm doing since that means you have to paint everything and prepainted doesn't exist (no picking up a cheap toy at a grocery store and plopping it on the table unless you want color to destroy the continuity you've built). A pretty good compromise is using just a base coat grey and a wash for the walkers then base coat of some other color and washing the survivors. It kind of harkens to this style of comic cover:

I was really tempted to go this route for just the ease and simplicity of the design but after I painted my first walker, I really wanted to just go all in and paint it all up full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

These two, bad wash and all, will occupy those bonus cards from DGB until further notice.

I DO quite like the aesthetic.

Oof, her face looks terrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've come to realize there's a LOT the Woodbury rules don't cover. What are the odds Mantic will ever put the rules up online? Are they?

I don't know anything about equipment keywords, or terrain! How did I amputate?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Have they released the Woodbury expansion yet?

Amputate (paraphrasing): special action (using an item with the Amputate keyword). choose a bitten friendly in your killzone. Roll white die and deal that much damage. Then roll black die. On a "shield", they lose a hand slot and the equipment being held. On a "blank", they can't run again. Flip the bitten mark back to normal. If you try to amputate again on the same character, they die.

Not sure if they'll release the rules. Maybe after the game hits a certain saturation point but there also may be licensing issues that ever prevent them from releasing the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.