Popular Tags: [View All]
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
Microbadge: The Inquisitive Meeple fanMicrobadge: Heart of a Striker Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Another victim of the one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple meeple eater
Looks like we get a sneak peak of the next monster pack - thanks to W. Eric Martin of BGG News:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, basically, the monster packs are "official" versions of monsters that were already hinted at pretty strongly in the original game ?

Come on, Kraken was not at all a Cthulhu look-alike, and The King wasn't a B-movie version of King Kong... I'm all for new monsters, but those lack the tongue-in-cheek humor of the originals and don't scream "novelty" to me.

Unless you want to play a team game "Real monsters vs. cheap knock-offs", that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: I have a black beltMicrobadge: Ascending Empires fanMicrobadge: "Red 5 standing by..."
Dystopian wrote:
So, basically, the monster packs are "official" versions of monsters that were already hinted at pretty strongly in the original game ?

Come on, Kraken was not at all a Cthulhu look-alike, and The King wasn't a B-movie version of King Kong... I'm all for new monsters, but those lack the tongue-in-cheek humor of the originals and don't scream "novelty" to me.

Unless you want to play a team game "Real monsters vs. cheap knock-offs", that is.
It's pretty clear that they took "Kraken" out of the second edition of KoT so they could introduce Cthulhu as a monster pack.

I'm surprised they didn't drop "The King" so they could later profit from "Kong." Perhaps they didn't get a license (e.g. Kong: Skull Island, an upcoming film featuring Samuel L. Jackson) until after KoT second edition was finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I like sharing photos with Instagram.Microbadge: Adidas fanMicrobadge: Diamonsters fanMicrobadge: Pizza loverMicrobadge: Wu-Tang Clan fan
I NEED IT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Microbadge: Live long and prosperMicrobadge: Thumbs up for 4 fingers--I love cartoons!Microbadge: Rock!Microbadge: Left-Handed Toons fanMicrobadge: "Pew Pew!"
I expect it is just so they only have to pay licensing on the individual packs and not on whole game every time, which would push up the price. It will be nice to see a few official characters rather than just I Can't Believe It's Not Godzilla, and This Ain't Mothra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
Underwhelming.

Considering we already have 2 giant apes and a baby version.

They could be doing much more creative monsters.

Hell, they could be gathering up all their promos and make a box set with Evolution cards. That would be much more appreciated than this.

Also, give me the Kraken back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Or even a booster pack with the monsters that came out after first edition.

Personally I'm not buying any KoT related stuff yet, especially to just get different card backs and a new monster or two.

Z.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
Microbadge: The Inquisitive Meeple fanMicrobadge: Heart of a Striker Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Another victim of the one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple meeple eater
JoeKiyoshi wrote:
Underwhelming.

Considering we already have 2 giant apes and a baby version.

They could be doing much more creative monsters.

Hell, they could be gathering up all their promos and make a box set with Evolution cards. That would be much more appreciated than this.

Also, give me the Kraken back.
The baby was for Gigazaur. Personally at least artwise this ape looks a lot better than the other two - not as goofy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I liked the goofy. The feel of King of Tokyo was always slightly on the silly side, as the original moster movies unintentionally were.

Cthulhu fits in artwise and has developed the kind of following that pokes fun at him so, while he is technically a serious monster, I feel like he fits a lot better than Kong looks to.

Kong does not look like he'll be at home alongside KoͶg and The King. He might even be the first expansion I don't get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Colt Express fan - CheyenneMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - AmiriMicrobadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Fan - To her, life is a great big acorn!Microbadge: Fables fan
There's already a Kong! This seems confusing to me. I also second that I would prefer something other than a third ape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Bang! fan
nerman8r wrote:
There's already a Kong! This seems confusing to me. I also second that I would prefer something other than a third ape.
Is it just me, or does this one NOT have pointless cybernetic bits slapped on at random?
Weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
grarrrg wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
Is it just me, or does this one NOT have pointless cybernetic bits slapped on at random?
Weird...
Which is why I like it better than other 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
.......please tell me this is a joke?

I mean, I know I'm already a fool for repurchasing the same thing over and over but....cmon....

There are SO many great Monsters and Kaiju yet to be untapped and they go with...a third Kong? And I agree that one of the biggest reasons for the games appeal was how silly and loveable its artwork and style was.

Underwhelming is putting it nicely.

I'm surprised this team has managed to whiff on something that should be a surefire homerun eachtime. The formula is so simple...

Bummer!

I do understand the possible attempt to dig into a more mainstream market by associating with the new movie coming out....do you, boo-boo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Well, a Kong version without Cybernetic Upgrades sure is ok, and I guess there is still a spot for another Ape (after all, the overall Theme from King Kong is nature vs. civilization) without any "upgrades". I guess they try to get to the "real nerds" with those packs, C'thulu and a bland Kong wouldn't be interesting to the non-geek Person. A real Fan of the King Kong Movies might not be statisfied with a Universal-Soldier Cyber Ape or a Communist-Themed Cyber-Ape.

It does make sense to bring that real Jungle-Ape in the year King Kong hits the Screen this coming weekend, and you might want to get some of those King Kong Fans into the board gaming hobby.

What the hell, I get it anyway. King of Tokyo is a well-liked game in a group that most of the Time plays Games like Terra Mystica, Roll for the Galaxy or Imperial Assault, and this is quite a feat for a simple game.

Which is why I am not quite sold on the C'thulu Expansion. While it is nice value that they put in extra Buildings, I hope it doesn't feel bloated in King of Tokyo. I kind of hope that Kong does not have other extra rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Bang! fan
Incredibul wrote:
I hope it doesn't feel bloated in King of Tokyo. I kind of hope that Kong does not have other extra rules.
They said in a different thread that King Kong will have 'something' extra. And that will be the general plan for all Monster Packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: One Deck Dungeon fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
That's my understanding too.

Cthulhu brought in Cultists. King Kong will introduce something else.

It's a way of incrementally increasing the game's complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
Hemlockaaa wrote:

Not just that, but it makes them less 'monster booster pack' and more 'mini-expansion'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
grarrrg wrote:
Hemlockaaa wrote:

Not just that, but it makes them less 'monster booster pack' and more 'mini-expansion'.
Well, I am very sceptical of that, (after all, in my comparison KoTokyo vs. KoNY I criticised the later for beeing overengineered https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1739972/king-tokyo-vs-king-... ) but I guess I'll buy it anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: One Deck Dungeon fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
The Cthulhu Monster Pack doesn't add a significant amount of complexity.

What's new are Cultists, which any monster can acquire (by ending up with 4 of the same result after your final dice roll). Each Cultist you gain can then be exchanged for a heart, energy or extra dice roll.

So the change to basic rules is not huge. Just a little bonus that can be used as needed.

Two of Cthulhu's evolutions specifically make use of Cultists, and some of his other evolutions make use of Madness tokens (which are his ability alone).

I'll obviously use Cultists when Cthulhu is in the game, because otherwise 2 of his 8 evolutions would be useless.

But I'll have to see if I like Cultists well enough to include them in every game, even when Cthulhu is not actively playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Colt Express fan - CheyenneMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - AmiriMicrobadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Fan - To her, life is a great big acorn!Microbadge: Fables fan
Incredibul wrote:
grarrrg wrote:
Hemlockaaa wrote:

Well, I am very sceptical of that, (after all, in my comparison KoTokyo vs. KoNY I criticised the later for beeing overengineered https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1739972/king-tokyo-vs-king-... ) but I guess I'll buy it anyways
It would be nice if you could decide not to use the expansion part and just have the monster, but it seems like if you're playing with Cthulhu, you have to use the cultists too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I suppose you could let Cthulhu use 2 of the Kraken's evolution cards, and ignore the Cultists completely.

But I don't see the addition of new rules as necessarily a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Hemlockaaa wrote:
What's new are Cultists, which any monster can acquire (by ending up with 4 of the same result after your final dice roll). Each Cultist you gain can then be exchanged for a heart, energy or extra dice roll.

Two of Cthulhu's evolutions specifically make use of Cultists, and some of his other evolutions make use of Madness tokens (which are his ability alone).

I'll obviously use Cultists when Cthulhu is in the game, because otherwise 2 of his 8 evolutions would be useless.

But I'll have to see if I like Cultists well enough to include them in every game, even when Cthulhu is not actively playing.
Thanks for that! Sounds manageable and not that complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven K
msg tools
They should just call him KING KONG, since there's The King and Kong already in the game. It will also allow all 3 apes to be played at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Roxley Games "Santorini" Contest participantMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Paladins of the West Kingdom fan : Byzantine Outsider
iNano78 wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

It's pretty clear that they took "Kraken" out of the second edition of KoT so they could introduce Cthulhu as a monster pack.

I'm surprised they didn't drop "The King" so they could later profit from "Kong." Perhaps they didn't get a license (e.g. until after KoT second edition was finalized.
I've recently purchased the Cthulhu expansion and going through the evolution cards, it's nowhere near what the Kraken was able to provide. Sure Cthulhu is about gaining health or losing it and gaining it back. The kraken provided health restoration but it also had something to do with it's carapace too. (thick skin)

Come on Iello, Just go ahead and give us evolution cards for the KoT monsters so we can play them in KoNY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
SgtTenor wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't drop "The King" so they could later profit from "Kong." Perhaps they didn't get a license (e.g. until after KoT second edition was finalized.
I've recently purchased the Cthulhu expansion and going through the evolution cards, it's nowhere near what the Kraken was able to provide. Sure Cthulhu is about gaining health or losing it and gaining it back. The kraken provided health restoration but it also had something to do with it's carapace too. (thick skin)

Come on Iello, Just go ahead and give us evolution cards for the KoT monsters so we can play them in KoNY.
Comes out May 4th or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |