- Best Casual/Gateway Game
- Best Game with Language Independent Components
- Best Use of Theme
- Best New Mechanic

Components:
- 24d6 dice
- Board (Simply a grid of 6x6 spaces)

Summary:
In D.I.E. Interceptor, each player controls an Interceptor-class starfighter running on a Dual Ion Engine.
Are they two scouts, happening on one another in advance of their fleets, desperate to neutralize the enemy and give their own forces the advantage of surprise?
Two former lover fighter pilots, settling their differences after decades of bitter recrimination?
Trapped in a training simulation, where one or more of the players is a nascent AI, and neither one knows whether they are or not?
Maybe!
What matters is that two ships will line up on a grid, then drive, wheel, barrel roll, chase, and strafe to line up shots and score hits on the opposing fighter, until one is destroyed and the remaining ship is victorious. Movement and actions are performed by drafting dice from a common pool of twelve dice; two more dice track damage; and the final two dice are the ships themselves, whose orientation affects which dice can be used to trigger which actions.

Full rules (v1.0 05/02/2017 First with components, Powerup Dice)

Thanks for reading! Any questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] D.I.E. Interceptor - 2017 2-Player PnP Contest
Updates

Mortjer2 wrote:
Also, it may be a silly question, but can a ship accelerate past another ship to end up behind the opposing ship? I am assuming no but thought I should ask.

fcoe wrote:
Great question, I'm tempted to say you can, because spaaaaaace, or that you can, but both ships suffer 1 damage. Let's go with that for testing the current model.

Ruling for testing purposes: You can fly through an opposing ship, causing each ship to suffer one damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Fin, welcome to the contest. I have added you under Idea Phase until you make a pdf of the rules/board available.

Nifty use of dice! I can't believe nobody has thought of it before. I really like how you have one gun at the front and a whole rack of fire-breathing accelerators at the back...

Quote:
Two former lover fighter pilots, settling their differences after decades of bitter recrimination?

You have an over-active imagination (or maybe not...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Excited to try this out. One question that I did have is that a player draws 4 dice from the pool but only uses two of the dice for actions. Is there a reason why the player is not just drawing 2 from the pool to make the pool last longer while also making desired moves more difficult towards the end of the pool until the pool is rerolled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Also, it may be a silly question, but can a ship accelerate past another ship to end up behind the opposing ship? I am assuming no but thought I should ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
Excited to try this out. One question that I did have is that a player draws 4 dice from the pool but only uses two of the dice for actions. Is there a reason why the player is not just drawing 2 from the pool to make the pool last longer while also making desired moves more difficult towards the end of the pool until the pool is rerolled?

Thanks for reading! Each player actually takes TWO actions per turn, and each of those two actions use up two of the four drafted dice.

Mortjer2 wrote:

Great question, I'm tempted to say you can, because spaaaaaace, or that you can, but both ships suffer 1 damage. Let's go with that for testing the current model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fcoe wrote:
-Before taking their dice, the player may select one die to re-roll.

Does this re-rolled die need to be taken as one of your 4 (regardless of outcome) , or can you re-roll a die you know your opponent will want and then take a different 4 dice for your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Must you take two actions or could you choose to do just one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Played it last night. Really wanted to enjoy it, perhaps I played wrong, but it felt like too many of my turns I didn't really progress at all. If I have to do actions, several turns made me turn my ship around and such and didn't really help me. I love the idea of this little die being the ship, but movement and interaction wasn't so great for me. My wife wasn't a fan of not being able to re-roll dice each turn, and re-rolling a single die never really seemed to benefit us. Great potential I think though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Order wrote:
fcoe wrote:
-Before taking their dice, the player may select one die to re-roll.

Does this re-rolled die need to be taken as one of your 4 (regardless of outcome) , or can you re-roll a die you know your opponent will want and then take a different 4 dice for your turn?

It does NOT need to be one of the dice you take, you may absolutely use your free re-roll to stymie your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
Must you take two actions or could you choose to do just one?

Hmm, not sure, my instinct is you have to take two actions, but feel free to try it without. I'm considering banked Actions, and possibly some Action (or double-Action) that heals Shields.

Mortjer2 wrote:
Played it last night. Really wanted to enjoy it, perhaps I played wrong, but it felt like too many of my turns I didn't really progress at all. If I have to do actions, several turns made me turn my ship around and such and didn't really help me. I love the idea of this little die being the ship, but movement and interaction wasn't so great for me. My wife wasn't a fan of not being able to re-roll dice each turn, and re-rolling a single die never really seemed to benefit us. Great potential I think though.

Honestly, that's been my experience as well. I really like this engine, and I hope I can make something come of it, but at the moment it's got a steep learning curve and progress is very slow. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them, but it may just come down to getting familiar with how to optimize positioning given limited options; since the original concept, I've added the Counter-Burn action, the option to shoot diagonally, and the free re-roll, to try and open up the active player's options / cut down the defending player's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Fin.

It looks like your game is playable. If you make a pdf of the rules and a game board then I can list it as components ready and you might get some more playtesters. Post to the main contest thread when it's ready so that people know.

Cheers
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John, will do. Just need to separate out core rules from the things I still want to experiment with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idea:

if you reduce the grid to 6x6 space cards and throw in 18 event cards, you've got 54 cards and thus qualify for the card & dice category ...

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Fin,
Just a reminder of the 8 May deadline to get your components done, otherwise the game will be withdrawn from the contest on that date.
Cheers, JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I've created a doc with rules and the board - two boards, actually: a 6x6 to test out a new Powerup dice rule, and the old 9x9 board, with a caveat regarding the starting Armor for the larger board. You now need to provide even more dice, but this sucker is COMPONENTS READY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] D.I.E. Interceptor - 2017 2-Player PnP Contest {Components Ready}
Looks cool, Good luck mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Fin, please update you top post to list the prize categories you want to be considered for.
Thanks,
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Fin, please update you top post to list the prize categories you want to be considered for.
Thanks,
JK

Done.

All, the game is Contest-Ready now, so there'll be no further revisions to the rules, but if you have any questions about the game, I'm happy to answer them, even though I won't be able to alter the rules to accommodate any resulting changes those questions would inspire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just played your game.
Here's the scene just before blue is about lose to red using 1,2 and 2,2

Rules
* Re-roll one die before taking dice; do I have to take the re-rolled die or can I use the re-roll to "destroy" a good die for my opponent.
Manual
* The manual references forward quite a bit, requiring you to read forward in the manual before understanding a previous part. Perhaps explain roughly what the player can expect to be doing before going into the mechanics.
* Noncommittal in flavor; I'd prefer a clear story over an open-ended one.
* The component list doesn't state that atleast one of the D6 has to have a different color until later in the manual.
* I'd strongly recommend using pictures to demonstrate the actions.
Gameplay
* At a 6x6 board size, firing weapons is very easily within range, so it basically turned into a shootout.
* Using bottom dice as a wild die makes it very easy to use as a 1 and just shoot as quickly as possible. Perhaps limit it somewhat or allow it only as a secondary die?
* First player each round has a clear advantage. As a result, first player in the game has a clear advantage.
* 2 actions each turn feels too little. I'd like to play a "position for the kill, make a shot, retreat" strategy, but can only do two of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishCyborg
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've just played this (without the powerups), and I found a few things.

Overall, this game was very enjoyable, short enough to not become repetitive, but with plenty of depth and strategy.

Just before the end of the game. The dark blue player wins by turning against his enemy and firing at point-blank range!

Forced to draw my own grid by an uncooperative printer.
The red circle was used for tracking whose turn it was, because I kept forgetting.

Some notes:

@Tynes, I felt that 2 actions was just right, kind of making an interesting dilemna, Should I move and shoot or try to avoid?

I found that bottom dice were more commonly used to barrel roll or turn, but that might be because we played more defensively.

I do agree that first player has an advantage, but that could probably be fixed by removing health or similar.

Also, the rulebook could improve with some pictures.

Finally, the diagonal shooting kind of made it too easy to shoot your opponent, you should either remove that, or maybe make the player roll (more) dice to score hits instead of just automatic damage?

Some questions:

What happens when a ship would move off the board? The rulebook says in the moving section to move a number of spaces, not to move up to a number of spaces.

"+ Barrel Roll: Top, Left/Right. The ship laterally rolls one space to either the left or the right (whichever

die was used to select this action). The ship itself actually rolls, so that while the front is still the front,

the top face will now be the side that was selected. A ship cannot perform Barrel Roll if it would result

in ending in the same space as the opposing ship." From the manual

If you do this, does this mean that to barrel roll right, you need to select the left face?

I liked this game enough to try it with the powerups! See you then.

Use the force, Luke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for playing, Martijn!
Tynes wrote:

Rules
* Re-roll one die before taking dice; do I have to take the re-rolled die or can I use the re-roll to "destroy" a good die for my opponent.

No, you may indeed use the re-roll to limit your opponent's options.
Quote:
Manual
* The manual references forward quite a bit, requiring you to read forward in the manual before understanding a previous part. Perhaps explain roughly what the player can expect to be doing before going into the mechanics.

Good point, I'll look into restructuring it after the contest.
Quote:

* I'd strongly recommend using pictures to demonstrate the actions.

I'd like to do that too, just didn't have time as the rules deadline snuck up on me.
Quote:
Gameplay
* At a 6x6 board size, firing weapons is very easily within range, so it basically turned into a shootout.
* Using bottom dice as a wild die makes it very easy to use as a 1 and just shoot as quickly as possible. Perhaps limit it somewhat or allow it only as a secondary die?
* First player each round has a clear advantage. As a result, first player in the game has a clear advantage.
* 2 actions each turn feels too little. I'd like to play a "position for the kill, make a shot, retreat" strategy, but can only do two of those.

I'm thinking the Powerup Dice might still work on a larger board; the first player would burn one of the rolled Powerup dice to determine the Column of their choice, the second player would burn one to select the row of their choice, and which die to place on that square as the Powerup. Feel free to try it that way, opening up the board a bit might make it easier for the 2nd player to dodge around, accumulating powerups until they're in a more favourable position. Two actions can feel limiting, but in my experience, three actions per turn just aggravates the other problems you've highlighted. I'll definitely keep what you said in mind though. Let me know if you play again or have any more thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for playing!
IrishCyborg wrote:

The red circle was used for tracking whose turn it was, because I kept forgetting.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone else has had that problem, and if there's some way to use the drafted dice to track that...
Quote:

I do agree that first player has an advantage, but that could probably be fixed by removing health or similar.

I'll need more data to determine just how strong the first-player advantage is, so that I can adjust the handicap accordingly.

Quote:
Also, the rulebook could improve with some pictures.

Agree.

Quote:
Finally, the diagonal shooting kind of made it too easy to shoot your opponent, you should either remove that, or maybe make the player roll (more) dice to score hits instead of just automatic damage?

Hmm, I'm actually thinking of making the firing 1/2 the range (2nd) die for forward weapon 1/3 the die for diagonal... or even limiting the diagonals to 1 no matter what how high the range die. Needs more testing, as without diagonal fire my initial playtests made it very hard to line up a shot. Of course, that was before Counter Burns or Blackout Loops were added to the game. I'll re-examine that, thank you.

Quote:
Some questions:

What happens when a ship would move off the board? The rulebook says in the moving section to move a number of spaces, not to move up to a number of spaces.

I should probably make it read "up to", though I did think about making it so that the board wraps infinitely like in the old space-shooter games like Asteroids, i.e. if you fly off the left, you'll automatically re-enter on the right.

Quote:
"+ Barrel Roll: Top, Left/Right. The ship laterally rolls one space to either the left or the right (whichever

die was used to select this action). The ship itself actually rolls, so that while the front is still the front,

the top face will now be the side that was selected. A ship cannot perform Barrel Roll if it would result

in ending in the same space as the opposing ship." From the manual

If you do this, does this mean that to barrel roll right, you need to select the left face?

I don't think so? You use the face you want to roll ONTO. To barrel roll right, use a top and a right.
Quote:

I liked this game enough to try it with the powerups! See you then.

Use the force, Luke.

So glad you enjoyed it! Let me know if you still enjoy it with that addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.