flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honeysuckle Harvest

An entry into the 2017 2-player PnP Design Contest
Design and graphics by Roxanne Clark

CONTEST READY

Being an enthusiastic entomologist, I can't help myself making the theme scientifically as accurate as I can make it, and therefore educational too.

The enemies are real species in the UK.

The board is made up of of a series of tiles that are laid throughout the game play which build up a twisting honeysuckle vine.

The players are baby/larval ladybirds searching for aphids on the leaves and flowers.

Players have 3 actions each turn, in which they can explore, move, search a leaf/flower (an action that each player can only do once per leaf) or use the action to boost a search. Searching a leaf involves rolling 2 d6 to aim at target numbers. From the searches players then either pull cards from one of the 2 decks of small cards (in accordance with the result of their search) Bonus (one use) or Bad Day (effects of various strengths who may/may not make the player fall from the branch and back to soil level and/or loose food), or take aphid tiles from the bag or market.

Players score by collecting sets of aphids.

The game ends either when the plant is empty or when a pupation tile is drawn from the bag.

Files:
Components, PnP recommendations, and Rules https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fw9wbkrsl8alfjv/AABiiaTc_FUetlizf...
For primary playtesting you can try the game out just by printing onto paper and then use your own tokens for the ladybird larvae and hunt tokens if you have some bits handy.

2017 Competition Categories:
Best Date Night Game kiss
Best Game to Play with Your Child meeple
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components wow
Best Use of Theme
Best Art/Graphic Design cool (Aiming for the design of image rather than claiming that I've done outstanding artwork)
Best New Mechanic ninja (The tiles feel new in execution if not in concept and the exploration tokens coupled with the target rolling is unfamiliar to me)
Best Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the outline for the game, with the basic mechanisms in place. I have thrown a load of maths into the target cards (the only bits finished right now) and thoroughly investigated the effects of the extra rolls. I am currently finishing off the 12 tiles so that we have something pretty to playtest (actually just building the vine is pretty fun). I have still to make the card decks though and get it all working together. At this stage I can't guarantee that it will all work but at worst it will be an attractive failure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically grabbed, subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Roxanne, welcome to the contest.

I'm an entomologist too (hurrah!) so I think I might just declare your game winner of the contest based on theme alone...

On second thoughts I might get eaten alive by the other contestants (like the little aphids), so I'd better not.

Best of luck!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Very cool. I have a 3 year old, so educational things are the direction I'm going! (Plus, ladybugs are awesome.)

You might consider turning your informational cards wide instead of tall, as you'll have more length for the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I have finalised the decks I might well replace the text with the symbols on the card decks anyway. I tend towards text avoidance where I can. I won't be able to avoid some text on the cards, as I will want to name the insects, and the bonus cards will have to explain themselves but I will still attempt to use symbols enough that reading will not be essential once they are explained. (I began designing when my son was fairly young and he was a late reader).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have "finished" the tile sheet. I have put the pdf in my dropbox but here is a picture:

New tiles (blind drawn) have to be added to the the tile you are on, at the end of a twig, and must be placed to join on where the buds are on the new tile. The 3 different types of leaves give different rewards. I may use the presence of a snail to give the exploring ladybird a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've drawn the two larvae this evening. Not the easiest draw but here they are. The one on the left is the 14-spot and the one on the right is the 2-spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now introduced set collection to the task of collecting aphids (I have added background graphics to reinforce colour to aid colour-blind players) and finalised the predator card functions. I have gone with putting symbol formulas on the cards rather than lots of writing, clarifying them in the rules in the hope that players will quickly get to recognise the formulas and not have to do lots of reading each time (this is in an effort to make them language independent and more dyslexic friendly).

I have all of the components done, just working on my least favourite bit - writing up the rules. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are now complete and so the game is now playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Roxanne, can you please edit your top post to indicate which contest categories you wish to be entered in. Thanks! JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck man! Still working on my game.. Hoping to get it out soon though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added in some wild aphids as a variant but have not tested them yet.

Another area up for debate is whether allowing 4 identical aphids to count as a set might impede set collection. I think that a player is likely to hold them if they've got them anyway, the difference only being that they are more vulnerable to a hunt attack if they are not allowed to be put away as a set and only count as a first tier of tie-breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I'm looking forward to others trying this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just a quick read-through of the instructions:

- Black dots on dark purple aphids might be hard to see
- The use of the word 'market' doesn't match with the theme
- It's not clear in the component or explore sections what a 'hunt zone' is, just that you should put hunt tokens on them
- The numbering of actions that can be done is confusingly indented due to the leaf on the side
- Does stalk count as one of your three actions, or is it just part of the hunt action?
- 'Stalk' is listed as number 4 in the largest description, but 3.1 in the short list up above.
- 'Exchange' says you put something in a market pile, but it's not clear what the market is or where that would be.

I've found a picture of how the setup should look is super helpful. From the instructions, it sounds like you planned on making one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Roxanne. I have been wanting to try out your game since you posted it weeks ago, but it has taken this long to get around to it. So while the baby is asleep I cut it all out, but I'm a bit confused because the rules say there are 32 aphid tokens, but on the component sheet there are 64. Also, there is a small green and yellow strip with the player pieces - is this needed for the game? Otherwise I think I have figured out what everything is for. I hope to get a play in tonight. Am looking forward to using the nifty diamond shaped tiles.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strips are to raise the player pieces up and make them easier to pick up. just coil them under the piece.
Yes do cut out all of the pieces. The count is wrong in the rules.
I hope you like the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamaraus wrote:

- The use of the word 'market' doesn't match with the theme
Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a better one, it at least should be familiar in concept from other games.
yamaraus wrote:
- It's not clear in the component or explore sections what a 'hunt zone' is, just that you should put hunt tokens on them
A hunt zone = a leaf - no idea why I didn't just say that!
yamaraus wrote:
- The numbering of actions that can be done is confusingly indented due to the leaf on the side
- 'Stalk' is listed as number 4 in the largest description, but 3.1 in the short list up above.
Yes - unfortunately the competition rules don't let me go back to change it at this stage but I will afterwards, thank you.
yamaraus wrote:
- Does stalk count as one of your three actions, or is it just part of the hunt action?
Yes
yamaraus wrote:
- 'Exchange' says you put something in a market pile, but it's not clear what the market is or where that would be.
There should be a market row of 3 aphids set out at the beginning of the game but I have missed that out blush
yamaraus wrote:
I've found a picture of how the setup should look is super helpful. From the instructions, it sounds like you planned on making one.
I did have one in there - I have no idea when it disappeared. I have tried several times to take a photo of the set up to add to the thread but they have all been awful. I will try again.

Thank you so much for your feedback Yamaraus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.