Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Microbadge: 2010 Golden Geek WinnerMicrobadge: We Didn't Playtest This At All fanMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Innovation fan
http://asmadigames.com/rules/ODDRules_v15_proof.pdf

We've made a number of revisions to clarify and eliminate confusion on a number of topics in the rulebook. If you'd like to take a peek, feedback is always valuable!

A couple key changes:

1) Heroic skills (the skill on your hero card that gives you heroic dice) are being visually altered to be on a blue scroll instead of the normal parchment color. They are being renamed to "Heroic Feats", and have their own step during an encounter. This should cut down on timing questions.

2) "Add" is being changed to "Gain" on all skills. "Add [STR] 6" is now "Gain a [STR] 6". Many people interpereted 'add' to mean 'change the value of dice'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Zombicide: Black Plague fanMicrobadge: Secret Hitler fanMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Take it off of my face!
Motoningennoken wrote:
Go work on the expansion instead of posting spanky new rulebooks!
Sounds to me like some of these corrections are laying the groundwork for the expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
Microbadge: Stardew Valley fanMicrobadge: I print my own components.Microbadge: Shephy fan
angelkurisu wrote:

1) Heroic skills (the skill on your hero card that gives you heroic dice) are being visually altered to be on a blue scroll instead of the normal parchment color. They are being renamed to "Heroic Feats", and have their own step during an encounter. This should cut down on timing questions.
So a slight nerf to the Shadow enemy then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2-player Games fanMicrobadge: I love dice games!Microbadge: I was there for Gen Con's 50th Anniversary!Microbadge: I love board games!Microbadge: This is how I roll...
Thanks a lot for this! Definitely appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Microbadge: 2010 Golden Geek WinnerMicrobadge: We Didn't Playtest This At All fanMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Innovation fan
Donkler wrote:
angelkurisu wrote:

So a slight nerf to the Shadow enemy then?
Yep, this means that Fade no longer affects "heroic feats", as they are not skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Oakenshield
msg tools
@chris: I am liking that blue color on the heroic feat! Now I wish they were on the cards like that, it's awesome! So now, when it says gain STR 6, that mean gain an extra yellow die with 6 on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Yes. "Add [STR] 6" means "take a yellow die and place it on the table with 6 showing".

"Gain a [STR] 6" is the new wording for that same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
I just realized I totally missed this rule in the original book:

"When taking an item or skill as loot, you can replace an existing item or skill with your new loot. The replaced card becomes XP, and is immediately
tucked under the level card."

I would have used that on a number of occasions, and definitely will be in the future.

Also, this looks new, and I like the change:

"You can always learn talents from any group. Basic talents can be used in every game. At the start of each game, though, each hero must pick one other focus. You may not use talents from the other two focus groups during that game."

So, learn everything, and just pick your focus/subclass to use for each game. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
davidbrit2 wrote:
I just realized I totally missed this rule in the original book:

"When taking an item or skill as loot, you can replace an existing item or skill with your new loot. The replaced card becomes XP, and is immediately
tucked under the level card."

I would have used that on a number of occasions, and definitely will be in the future.

Also, this looks new, and I like the change:

"You can always learn talents from any group. Basic talents can be used in every game. At the start of each game, though, each hero must pick one other focus. You may not use talents from the other two focus groups during that game."

So, learn everything, and just pick your focus/subclass to use for each game. Nice.
Yes, the new campaign sheet looks like:

http://asmadigames.com/rules/ODDCampaign_v15_proof.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
page 5 - "potion cubes" should be "potion tokens".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon S

Victoria
British Columbia
msg tools
Microbadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
No checkmark for completing the Phoenix on the new campaign sheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Neill
msg tools
@Asmandi - I'm a One Deck Newbie having recently somehow managed to get a copy from what is a deserted out of stock UK! Loving the same, simple yet complex, fun yet serious (those damn ones !!). I've read the rulebook and watched numerous playthrough videos but there are a couple of things I'm still unsure of:

1) Use skills and place dice (Dungeon challenge boxes) - I'm a little confused about which dices are supposed to be placed on the boxes. They look yellow so does this mean yellow dices only? I watched game played on YouTube and one comentary called them grey boxes and placed any dice, regardless of colour. Can you explain what the rule is here and then maybe revisit this in the rulebook - I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this.

2) Placing and using dice - 'any two dice can be discarded to gain a black die'. How many dice can you discard this way? ie can you change 4 to get 2 black dice or is it solely a one time 2 for 1 change? Again if you could explain herer and maybe elaborate inthe rulebook,

3) Will the Expansion be a Kickstarter? If so when is this planned for Q2, Q3 or Q4 2017? Will it included the latest rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
mart97829 wrote:

1) Use skills and place dice (Dungeon challenge boxes) - I'm a little confused about which dices are supposed to be placed on the boxes. They look yellow so does this mean yellow dices only? I watched game played on YouTube and one comentary called them grey boxes and placed any dice, regardless of colour. Can you explain what the rule is here and then maybe revisit this in the rulebook - I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this.
For the combat Dungeon challenge boxes, they are color coded (strength, agility, or magic). For the peril Dungeon challenge boxes, they're grey, meaning they have to be the same color you're using for the peril challenge you've chosen on the encounter card. Hero dice, of course, can be used for any color (unless something states otherwise, like the Dragon boss' skull boxes).

mart97829 wrote:

2) Placing and using dice - 'any two dice can be discarded to gain a black die'. How many dice can you discard this way? ie can you change 4 to get 2 black dice or is it solely a one time 2 for 1 change? Again if you could explain herer and maybe elaborate inthe rulebook,
As far as I know, you can do this as many times as you want, as long as you've got dice to keep discarding. Try to be optimal about it, since the hero die will be the lower value of the two dice you discard to get it, e.g. if you've got 6, 5, 3, and 3, discard the 6+5 for a 5, and the 3+3 for a 3, don't do 6+3 and 5+3 for a pair of 3s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Neill
msg tools
Cheers Dave. That clarifies it now for me but I wondering whether the rulebook should include wording around your explanation as it isnt immediately clear and the grey/cream/yellow peril dungeon could be explained or coloured different/better.

@Asmandi - are these rules right. Do you think its worth expanding the said sections in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mart97829 wrote:
Cheers Dave. That clarifies it now for me but I wondering whether the rulebook should include wording around your explanation as it isnt immediately clear and the grey/cream/yellow peril dungeon could be explained or coloured different/better.

@Asmandi - are these rules right. Do you think its worth expanding the said sections in the rulebook?
Yeah, a little more clarification in the rulebook wouldn't hurt (and it's entirely possible it's in there, but I missed it). And please correct me if I'm interpreting any of this wrong, Chris. I don't want to be giving myself any unfair (dis)advantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: I play with Black!Microbadge: Moof!Microbadge: Plays Games with Spouse
davidbrit2 wrote:
Yeah, a little more clarification in the rulebook wouldn't hurt (and it's entirely possible it's in there, but I missed it).
You missed it - Page 13 of the 1.5 version

Quote:
The party must try and fill both the challenge box for the chosen option and those on the left side of the dungeon card. Dungeon challenge boxes are grey, and are considered to match the color of the chosen option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Yeah -- I went and called this out pretty explicitly in the 1.5 rulebook in a couple places. It was a point of confusion for many people, so we wanted to clear that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Neill
msg tools
Thanks all & Chris for getting back. Maybe on the future prints make the yellow a bit more yellow as they look the same shade of yellow & grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Yeah, we are trying to get the yellow a bit yellower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Binghamton UniversityMicrobadge: Gymnastics fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: I play Dungeons & Dragons in the Hourglass Realm
Hi. I just got my copy from Asmadi the other day and I am looking forward to learning the game this weekend. You don't happen to have this in a format that will readily print as a booklet? I hate reading rules on screen (work in front of a computer all day, every day). If not, no big deal. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
esirof wrote:
Hi. I just got my copy from Asmadi the other day and I am looking forward to learning the game this weekend. You don't happen to have this in a format that will readily print as a booklet? I hate reading rules on screen (work in front of a computer all day, every day). If not, no big deal. Thanks!
Seconded. I'd love a copy of the updated rules in a one-page-per-PDF-page format that's needed to take advantage of Adobe Reader's booklet printing function. (Once they're final, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Yeah once we finalize them, can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Binghamton UniversityMicrobadge: Gymnastics fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: I play Dungeons & Dragons in the Hourglass Realm
angelkurisu wrote:
Yeah once we finalize them, can do that.
Cool. Thanks for responding. First play coming up today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I always roll the X!
davidbrit2 wrote:
esirof wrote:
Seconded. I'd love a copy of the updated rules in a one-page-per-PDF-page format that's needed to take advantage of Adobe Reader's booklet printing function. (Once they're final, of course.)
Speaking of printing, could we get a b&w version?

Ok this is a crazy request, but is it possible just to get a proof of the text changes to print and paste into the existing rule book?

Thanks for the work on the rule book, I look forward to playing with the updated rules (especially dealing with fade!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Printing B+W should be something you can do at your printer -- most should have an option for it.

And the changes are pervasive enough to make a changefile impossible, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |