Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things on something Donald Frederickovich Trump did NOT mention in his laundry list before Congress yesterday - Russia and it's interference in US (and European) politics and elections.

NY Times this evening has an article on the outgoing Obama administration preserving information related to the Russian hacks of the Democratic and Republican parties (and the selective leaking of Dem stuff through Wikileaks). Article's worth a read, including the nugget that US allies (British and Dutch specifically cited) having given the US information on meetings between Trump associates and Russians, and internal Russian government communications (intercepted by US intelligence) discussing such contacts. So at a minimum, they're lying about having such contacts. Let alone letting us know what those contacts are about... The article says Obama officials suspect the Trump campaign actively colluded with the Russians on the election campaign hacks/leaks.

Associated Press reported that today White House staffers were told not to destroy information related to Russian interference in 2016, and other Russia related investigations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - I've seen a couple of articles in the past two months about the idea of California seceding. I think that's dumb and I don't think it'll happen, but as it so happens one of the idiots (a liberal) who likes this idea for some reason has an office in the lovely city of Moscow, Russia.

This sounded familiar. I checked and yep - remember a couple of years back when some hoorah about Texas seceding was going around? Well, guess what? Russia is also giving some level of support to the secesh Texas Nationalist Movement, too.

I don't think California or Texas are going anywhere, and I don't want them to. But if conservatives are going to continue to worship at the altar of Putin, remember that Russia's goals are anti-modern international system, and anti-American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Were the Soviets then "copy-catting" them "Johnny-gone-lately"-Texans that went into wherever FULLY ARMED and commenced "taking over" the local-yokels? "Remember the ALAMO!" also had 'Mexicans' coming OVER their walls with nary any hindrance! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and the Attorney General, Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions? The one who could theoretically be leading such an investigation?

Turns out he met with the Russian ambassador to the US twice last year during the campaign (Sessions was an out and loud Trump supporter). But didn't think it was worth mentioning during his confirmation.

In fact, he outright lied about it: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Sessions Lied Under Oath! He *Did* Communicate With The Russians During The Trump Campaign!

"I did not have communications with the Russians.Jeff Sessions at his Jan. 10 Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing

Jeff Sessions spoke twice in 2016 with Russian ambassador. He didn't disclose this at confirmation hearing to become U.S. Attorney General. Indeed, Sessions lied under oath and as Attorney General has refused to recuse himself from the investigations into the matter of the Russians' interference in our 2016 Presidential Election.

> Excerpt from the March 1, 2017 Washington Post news-story preview by (Victoria Walker entitled:

Jeff Sessions Spoke Twice With Russian Ambassador During Trump's Presidential Campaign

Then-Alabama Republicvan U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions spoke twice in 2016 with Russia's ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Kislyak, but did not mention this during his confirmation hearing to become U.S. attorney general. Sessions was asked about possible contacts between President Trump's campaign and the Russian government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if this has been linked already.

MSNBC's story about how the Pres. Obama Admin. took steps to spread the info they had gotten about Trump's people meeting with the Russians around to a lot of places in the Gov. and/or the US-IC in order to make it impossible for the Trump Admin. to keep a lid on it and cover it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oiBs-5j0dM

This action would have the effect of triggering a lot of leaks of this info if Pres. Trump didn't act presidential in his 1st weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
It's interesting - these contacts, in themselves, don't mean anything - but the repeated lies about them do. In a way, Trump is being trapped by his own hyperbolic rhetoric and personalistic (CEO-like?) style of leadership - he keeps mixing (in this, in trade, about Nato, etc.) nuggets of cynical Realpolitik with ludicrous American exceptionalist rhetoric - and it seems he himself believes the later no less than the former. Is Putin the leader of another nuclear power with whom the US has to work out of pure self-interest? Is he a hero rising up against Globalism? Is he the leader of a foreign nation envious of the US that needs to be reminded that America comes first? It seems that it depends on the day, or even on who is Trump talking to.

For those of you interested in theory, it might be a good time to read some Latin American work on the nature of populism: I'd recommend especially Laclau's work on the populist leader and movement as an "empty signifier" where everyone can project their fears and aspirations simultaneously. I think Trump is doing exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw Mr. Trump saying "Carter Page, PHD" was on his team months ago and then a current cut of Spicer saying mr Trump did not even know Carter Page and Carter Page was definately not on Mr Trump's team. Carter Page lived in russia for 3 years recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.