Scythe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Utterly destroyed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night we did a 4-player session of Scythe. Half of us were playing the game for the first time.

Starring:
Saxony - first timer
Rusviet Union - first timer
Polania - Recurring
Crimea - Recurring (me)

Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the player mats.

Since the last time I played I took note that getting out the Riverwalk Mech fast would probably give me an edge (I wanted to be the first player on the factory) so I planned my moves accordingly. So did the Polanians and the Rusviets. I think it was turn 3 (or 4?) that I managed to build my Mech (using the Crimean's ability and cashing in a combat card too). The local encounter gave me a recruit which I used for the enlist action so I had some combat card income (I wanted to take full advantage of my passive).

Saxony took its time grasping the game mechanics but still managed to progress through some upgrades and villages. Both me and them did the same mistake of producing too many workers too soon so the popularity cost hindered our producing.

When 3 out of 4 factions "escaped their river" things were started to clear out a little (or so we thought). The Rusviets started producing and trading while slowly heading for their second encounter. The Polanians tried to pick up as many encounters as they could and I headed to the Factory and picked up the "Pay 2$ and get a Heart and an Upgrade", picking up some encounters along the way and building 2 more mechs to control the tunnels (the scoring card gave us points for building structures on tunnels).

In a turn of events, the Saxony had reduced their deploying cost down to 1 metal, which had the player rushing to deploy all his mechs (gaining 3+1$ each time he deployed) and then his fighting intentions were made clear. He moved his army to terrorize the rest of the factions, he "locked" the Polanian hero in place (so she couldn't get any more encounters unless she did a suicide combat) and got 4 combat stars in a matter of 3 turns.

At that point, the Polanians were in the most disadvantageous position since their upgrade game was not on par with the rest, the Rusviets placed a star or two from their workers and their mechs and I managed to place 3 structures on different tunnels before trying to expand as much as I could (since it was obvious the game would end on the next turn of the Saxony player).

And so it happened! The scoring came through like this: (I remember the totals, the rest are estimates)

1st: Saxony - 20+ coins in hand, 6 stars, 0 popularity, no factory card, no structures on tunnels, 2 resources and a lot of territories for a total of 57 coins

2nd: Crimea - 5 coins in hand, 3 stars, 7 popularity (mid tier), 3 structures on tunnels, no resources and some territories for a total of 36

3rd: Polania - 10ish coins, 3 stars, 6 or 5 popularity (low tier), no structures on tunnels, no resources, few territories for a total of 26

4th: Rusviet Union - 10+ coins, 2 stars, 7 popularity (mid), no resources, no structures on tunnels, few territories for a total of 25.

All in all, I didn't expect such a combat oriented strategy to win but I guess I still have a lot to learn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Wulf
United States
Nogales
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very interesting. How did Saxony conserve enough Military strength on the Power track to win four combats in three turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the interesting breakdown of the game playthrough! I am more of a diplomatic type who will enter a combat when necessary or only as means to reach a certain goal. So, after reading this, I am rethinking my repertoire of strategic plans to include an aggressive one. Your Saxony friend is certainly one insane gamer! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duanewulf wrote:
Very interesting. How did Saxony conserve enough Military strength on the Power track to win four combats in three turns?

If this was like my last game, the other factions had probably spent their combat power on production. If Saxony is taking advantage of it's tunnel advantage (-2 to opponents power on tunnel spaces), he wouldn't need all that much. Plus, if deploy cost 1 metal at the end, he probably had the board that combined the bolster action on that spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
duanewulf wrote:

Exactly what friend Matthew said... Both the Rusviets and the Polanians had no power (1-2) due to production costs and me (crimeans) used all my power to a single combat that I had the chance of winning (since the rest were 2 of his mechs vs 1 of mine) but it came out as a tie so I lost! I had very few combat cards (probably my biggest mistake) since I used them as resources every other turn...

The saxony player is certianly an insane gamer, we play a lot of board games together for many years now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.